Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Seems someone else has joined in the mix

We now have a Net1 uploader covering Christchurch/wellington region. Even taxiing A/C on the ground at NZCH!
    That would be me

I'm in Templeton (as you might guess) and have an Aurora SSRx receiver with a high gain, low noise 23cm pre-amp and a very basic homemade G7RGQ antenna.

I'm just uploading with PP but have emailed a request for the feeder software.

Cheers
    Steven

Comment

• You my friend. Are a legend. Can't beleive how sensitive it is on the deck. Beaten me to the punch of my mission to make a 2nd channel and directional antenna.

And NZCH is more or less a next door neighbour to you (keep an eye out for antennas ). Also with a high gain antenna. I made myself a G7RGQ but got mixed results during testing (as you will see by rest of this thread)but seem to match a pre-made Hitech one.

Was it part of the activity here that got you into it per chance?

Dammit, now how am I meant to test my own setup if you guys keep upping the ante and beating me

Feel free to pop into the chat room in the evenings if you want a natter with the rest of us kiwis. You'll find me and NZRadar/NZPM hanging around now and then.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Thanks, Oblivian. It probably helps that I have a rural path to the airport and loads of amplification - the pre-amp is tuned for max gain (33dB) at 1180MHz and has a 1200MHz high-pass filter (which blocks cellular interference) but still has about 24dB at 1090 (it's from mini-kits in Australia). Without the pre-amp I don't receive any ground movements.

I've been interested in receiving ABS-B for years but couldn't "justify" the cost of an SBS receiver. I bought a microADSB rx in October last year but was disappointed with the range - taking it up Huntsbury I could see A/C further than I could receive them so I realised it was a sensitivity issue ! However, adding the pre-amp created a big donut null of about 20km radius so I got the Aurora after reading about it on radarspotters. Even with the pre-amp there's no donut with it including A/C that are almost overhead on approach - I'm about 100m off the 02/20 centre line.

I gave my brother the microADSB and he's had good results with a stack of 8 colinear segments made from coax so I might give that a go as well.

Comment

• Jeebus. Thats a hell of a lot of signal

I was going to go down similar path initially. The Firmware updates to the Micro have helped a little. But still dodgy when at the airfield. Between buildings I got ground data though.

With my DIY on RG58 on the roof and micro I was getting as far as Lake Rotoiti initally. Which I was impressed with. HW V2 FW v7+

My next test antenna was possibly going to be a coax colinear. It seems to be what is hidden inside the high gain PVCs. Using NZPMs (on loan) Hi-tech tuned one at present, and similar results to the DIY G7CRQ I made(which astounded me)

The last report I sent from my beast indicated I was being over-run by noise here too. So not sure if its our dodgy GSM networks or what the go is, so a filter has been considered. Someone at work has a 1090 amp he has offered, but I'm cautious as they say it can overload the beast as it has high sensitivity already.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Templeton - NZCH and I have had a thought..

If you are a Reg'd Planeplotter user like us perhaps we should see if we can get some MLAT going now that we have 3 confirmed contacts running it. I (ft) saw there was a 2nd uploader in CHC earlier tonight which I guess is you? (Xl) - If you are far enough away from him (Definitely are from me) it may be worth our while to see if we can boost the coverage between us of Mode-S only contacts.

I've been sharing for a while (83,0003 uploads) and just validated myself as GS to make a start.

Comment

• I was wondering about MLAT myself... I have the x7 sharecode. I'll request GS validation.

I'm only about 5km from Prebbleton so that's not ideal but might still get some results.

Comment

• As they say, more the merrier.

Just noticed after a fresh redraw of PP a turnaround today..

http://www.flightradar24.com/2012-05-07/18:34/PBN71 Didn't complete its exit first time around.

Comment

• Airwork ZK-TLF

Hi guys, AWK12345 headed down to CHC. Boeing 747-4Q8 with hex C81EB6. Nice to see a new one.
                  Michael
                  Palmerston North,
                  New Zealand
                  ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Well Ill be damned. Old Toll unit come home to roost. Ill add it before I see it

Comment

• Hi there,

Well this all looks like a lot of fun.

So I've splashed out and bought myself a microadsb, which arrived last week. I put the demo antenna on the roof (too easy with the magnet in the base - cool), got the adsbscope running, got the fr24feed.exe software from flightradar24, an alias - T-NZCH4 (yeah!) - and it's all go. And looking on the FR24 website, I even spotted my alias flick up there briefly, like for about 5 seconds (I quickly grabbed a screen shot, so I could verify later that I hadn't dreamed it), before the much more powerful receivers of NZCH1 and NZCH2 took over, rightly so.

So that was all a fun few hours of work (not without a bit of referencing to this very thread I have to say - so thanks very much for that). One difference is that my version of the microadsb receiver is devoid of any physical dipswitches - perhaps that's progress?

Physically I'm located about 5km from NZCH towards town, so I'm not sure if I add much spatial variety in terms of getting MLAT going, not that I know much (actually nothing) about that.

The latest thing is I've just downloaded PlanePlotter and thought I'd get that up and going, as it seems a more spec'ed sibling of adsbscope, by the looks of it.

Mark

Comment

• PP

Hi Mark and welcome onboard the Uploader Band wagon,.

Before you splash out your €30 for PP,. may I suggest you have words
                        with T-NZCH1 (our Craig)Oblivian
                        As to weather its worth it,. as to upload I understand that the scope
                        dos the job equally as well..

spend your €30 on a better Antenne and put it as high as Possible.

Regards David
                        Last edited by delcomp; 2012-05-28, 09:24.
                        (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                        1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Originally posted by quaternary View Post
                          The latest thing is I've just downloaded PlanePlotter and thought I'd get that up and going, as it seems a more spec'ed sibling of adsbscope, by the looks of it.
                          Totally different application.

PlanePlotter offers you a whole portfolio of features and options including Multilateration (Mlat) which adsbscope doesn't.
                          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• More the merrier!

But not a lot is beating Steve and his 33dB gain (T-NZCH2) much these days! I see myself flicker now and then, but only a glint in the servers eye too.

You are correct with the Dips, later versions are SW controllable now. Much like the beast.

Yeah, I can help out where possible if I haven't been already with my thread ramblings. For a simple text per-aircraft dbase and local range/coverage view ADSbsope is fine and dandy, but for keeping track on what hits you have and working more advanced with databases PP is the perferred. Though I do have some regrets with it at times. I am simply using it to keep an eye on tracks and ranging more than anything. But am uploading to another site and MLAT data incase a few more of us come online and then the Mode-S onlys may start showing up.

Theres not a lot of alternatives out there for now, some find the GUI getting a bit behind the times when you can do fancy stuff with the likes of Basestation to make it look quite close to a real radar screen.

Sing out if we can help more. The other 2 lads are out Templeton way, I'm new brighton and theres someone I'm aware of in the wings out at Woodend but not yet getting full antenna coverage.

Comment

• I got T-NZCH3 - I assumed T-NZCH2 was the feeder formerly known as NZCH...

B787 (N787BX) is supposed to be heading to NZCH tomorrow after visiting NZAA today.

Comment

• Oh hell. Well that confuses things even more. I was well off course with my guessing then

I have tomorrow off especially for our visitor

Comment

Working...
                                X