No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-NZWN3 is now online. Got it up just as the wind started picking up.

Also no thanks to Courier Post, whom marked it as delivered while it was still supposedly sitting at the depot.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
      F-NZWN3 is now online. Got it up just as the wind started picking up.

Also no thanks to Courier Post, whom marked it as delivered while it was still supposedly sitting at the depot.
      Great... NZWN7 showing still, NZWn3 will be activated soon by the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
        Great... NZWN7 showing still, NZWn3 will be activated soon by the team.
        Yeah the pi with T-NZWN7 will continue. I did catch the temporary code before.

Courier finally turned up about 1300 and plugged it in about 1515!

Comment

Yeah the pi with T-NZWN7 will continue. I did catch the temporary code before.

Courier finally turned up about 1300 and plugged it in about 1515!
          Wow.. that is fast. You have the bracket holder mounted and just waited for the kit to arrive? Good to have it done before the wind picks up.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
            Wow.. that is fast. You have the bracket holder mounted and just waited for the kit to arrive? Good to have it done before the wind picks up.
            3 metre Mast was already on top of roof with DPD antenna mounted off to side. Just had to put the FR24 antenna on the top and then feed the wires.

Comment

• Hey so I was just going through my FR24 logs - on 18/5 (based on FR24) apparently I picked up something 320NM East of wellington multiple hits - my normal range tops out at about 225NM north of Wellington - any idea how I can find out what it was and whether its real data - east is my most obstructed direction which surprises me. I don't currently log any of the data with anything other than FR24... ideas? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by vortexnz View Post
                Hey so I was just going through my FR24 logs - on 18/5 (based on FR24) apparently I picked up something 320NM East of wellington multiple hits - my normal range tops out at about 225NM north of Wellington - any idea how I can find out what it was and whether its real data - east is my most obstructed direction which surprises me. I don't currently log any of the data with anything other than FR24... ideas? Thanks
                Could be the LAN flight from Auckland. 800 and 801 or something. Comes in 0430 and is usually a little South of Napier. Then to Sydney during day. Leaves Auckland about 1615 back to Santiago. Though heading back it's usually North of Napier at 33000 or so.

Comment

• Is 320NM ridiculous for a bog standard FR supplied antenna?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3739[/ATTACH]

Are my eyes working. A rough measurement to Christchurch on Google Earth has nearly 700km. Or is F-NZCH2 been taking something today! Getting close to the Chatham Islands now. I think someone should move out there
                    Originally posted by vortexnz View Post
                    Is 320NM ridiculous for a bog standard FR supplied antenna?

A couple of months back F-NZCH2 had a nice long distance over the ocean. Depends on the hills and the gaps between them. Also if you read on from my posting "skips" are talked about and it's all to do with weather and time of day.

Have you also had a look at http://www.heywhatsthat.com/ which you can see what your potential coverage is. If not once you have set up your location on the top right of the map is 'Up in the Air' which you click on then below the map you can set the altitudes you want. Make sure on the left below the map it's English not metric as English is feet metric is metres.

Comment

• http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/la800
                      http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/la801

LA801 on the 18th and 19th UTC time, landing around 1800 UTC are out to the east with tracked routes.

Also you can look at FlightAware which usually shows planned routes too.
                      http://flightaware.com/live/flight/LAN800
                      http://flightaware.com/live/flight/LAN801

Comment

• Thats helpful thanks! According to heywhatsthat I shouldn't be able to see anywhere near where that plane would have been at 320NM from my location - almost at Chathams longitude off the coast of Gisborne - must've been some funky atmospherics or something. Cool never the less. On another topic - Is there any way for FR APP to notify me with push notifications of the hijack sqawk - it only seems to notify of general failures or comms failures but not the 7500 sqawks?

Comment

• Also nzfatmatt - where abouts in Wellington are you located? I'm in Woodridge.

Comment

Hey so I was just going through my FR24 logs - on 18/5 (based on FR24) apparently I picked up something 320NM East of wellington multiple hits - my normal range tops out at about 225NM north of Wellington - any idea how I can find out what it was and whether its real data - east is my most obstructed direction which surprises me. I don't currently log any of the data with anything other than FR24... ideas? Thanks
                            Firstly, where are FR24 logs kept? Second, I have no end of trouble with LAN flight positions as they often are incorrect when received. I blacklist them in SBSPlotter and don't use them at all in any of my queries for determining range. This may be one of those occurrences.
                            Michael
                            Palmerston North,
                            New Zealand
                            ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Also nzfatmatt - where abouts in Wellington are you located? I'm in Woodridge.
                              Near the sanctuary

Originally posted by nzradar View Post
                              Firstly, where are FR24 logs kept? Second, I have no end of trouble with LAN flight positions as they often are incorrect when received. I blacklist them in SBSPlotter and don't use them at all in any of my queries for determining range. This may be one of those occurrences.
                              Thinking about LAN playing up, I saw it heading back to South America the other day and it took a diversion West of nz taking about the same route as a Wellington to Sydney flight before disappearing while still West of NZ.

Comment

• 2- 06- 2014, 306 NM.jpg Just saw this trail on my PP screen (probably QF A27 or 28 ) at 306 NM . One of my better ranges!

Comment

Working...
                                X