New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh nice. Hamilton was one of our regional holes
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• MVD put to work. All four AT76s at it this morning
      4xAT76.GIF

Comment

• Nice spot

It was sent down last night on pre-use relocation as callsign "IAN" lol!
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• I work for an Airline at NZQN and often use FR24 to track locations of our A320s,we dont get the new ATRs so cant track them.
          Good to see NZQN1 on,we usually loose coverage when the aircraft cross the Pisa Range near Cromwell.
          Airways Corp have MLAT coverage in the area,can anyone advise would a receiver in Cromwell fill the gap?
          NZNV provides good cover of departures if NZQN not available.

Comment

• Originally posted by baznz View Post
            I work for an Airline at NZQN and often use FR24 to track locations of our A320s,we dont get the new ATRs so cant track them.
            Good to see NZQN1 on,we usually loose coverage when the aircraft cross the Pisa Range near Cromwell.
            Airways Corp have MLAT coverage in the area,can anyone advise would a receiver in Cromwell fill the gap?
            NZNV provides good cover of departures if NZQN not available.
            Hi Baznz.

Cromwell for sure would be a good place for a receiver. If it will fill the cap completely is hard to say. It will depend on the exact location given the ranges around the town. Another one in Arrowtown should make it a perfect combo.
            You can get an inexpensive receiver for 15-20 NZD or less on ebay.
            The more the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
              Hi Baznz.

Cromwell for sure would be a good place for a receiver. If it will fill the cap completely is hard to say. It will depend on the exact location given the ranges around the town. Another one in Arrowtown should make it a perfect combo.
              You can get an inexpensive receiver for 15-20 NZD or less on ebay.
              The more the better.
              And for just a few dollars more, add a Raspberri Pi (cigarette box sized single board computer) and you have somthing that can be left on 24/7 that uses a couple of cents worth of power a day. So cheap its worth putting one in at work too to capture ground traffic (especially if work would pay for the bits).

BTW. The cheap solution doesnt do mlat.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                And for just a few dollars more, add a Raspberri Pi (cigarette box sized single board computer) and you have somthing that can be left on 24/7 that uses a couple of cents worth of power a day. So cheap its worth putting one in at work too to capture ground traffic (especially if work would pay for the bits).

BTW. The cheap solution doesnt do mlat.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
                Yes you're right. The Raspberri PI option takes away the need for a PC, but the PC/Dongle option is much more plug and play. I know nada about the PI, Linux, soldering, antennas etc, but if there was a step-by-step guide for FR24 on Raspberri PI and a all-inclusive kit, I might give it a try.
                I know there are lots of sources of guides from people in the know, but they all start their first sentences in the instructions assuming I understand the lingo (E.g. LINUX commands).

As for MLAT I think there are 20+ MLAT stations around Queenstown and the Southern Alps in order for ATC to track the traffic reliably. I don't think FB24 would ever get to that level of coverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
                  Yes you're right. The Raspberri PI option takes away the need for a PC, but the PC/Dongle option is much more plug and play. I know nada about the PI, Linux, soldering, antennas etc, but if there was a step-by-step guide for FR24 on Raspberri PI and a all-inclusive kit, I might give it a try.
                  I know there are lots of sources of guides from people in the know, but they all start their first sentences in the instructions assuming I understand the lingo (E.g. LINUX commands).

As for MLAT I think there are 20+ MLAT stations around Queenstown and the Southern Alps in order for ATC to track the traffic reliably. I don't think FB24 would ever get to that level of coverage.
                  You need the following
                  * R820T dongle + some sort of adaptor to fit the tiny antenna socke on the dongle (same as the windows solution),
                  * Raspberry Pi model B (preferably in a case - all too easy to break the SD card socket if it's bare),
                  * decent 4Gb SD card (or bigger),
                  * 1A power supply for the Pi - I was lucky in that an old android phone charger complete with a micro USB charging cord worked for me.

pi + pi tin from http://nicegear.co.nz/raspberry-pi/r...ry-pi-model-b/ $80 NZD, they also have a PSU for $15 (can't see the micro usb cable)

Instructions on the first page of this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 (the other pages are just about problems people have had ... mostly power supply problems).

The bits plug together - no soldering, and do read the guide ... it says what you need to type to do it ... no knowledge of Linux is assumed (but will be gained)

The biggest issue seems to be what to do about setting up a decent antenna - and there are guides here about what you can do for just a few dollars (a starter dipole can be made from a length of TV coax - split out the end 66mm and mount it on a bamboo cane)

---

Later edit, you might also want a mini-DVI -> DVI cable and USB keyboard for the initial PI setup (to see 1st time boot config, find what IP address has been granted by your router, etc)
                  Last edited by peterhr; 2013-11-24, 10:00.

Comment

• Hi Baznz,

If you are losing coverage when aircraft go beyond the Pisa range, then there will be little point in locating a receiver at Cromwell or at any other low level site. Coverage will still be hampered by the local hills or mountains within close proximity to the receiver location. To achieve additional coverage will involve locating one or more receivers at high elevation locations, exactly as Airways Corp have had to do.
                    In that part of the world with Extreme conditions experienced during the winter, the challenge is a bit different to setting an ADSB receiver up in the back yard at your house.
                    Most of the easily accessible sites have long been the domain of Govt. departments or commercial organizations who tend to charge rentals for the use of the site and have a set of rules regarding that use that can often make it prohibitive.
                    If however, you have a mate with a farmhouse (with internet access) on the top of the Pisa range then that would be the place to locate the receiver.

Cheers,
                    Brent NZCH2

Comment

• Has NZNV gone offline? I seem to be the only station tracking to near IVC (cuts out about Edendale).

Comment

• I know one of them was part-timing. But not sure on the other. Appears that way doesn't it

Comment

• Originally posted by NZCH View Post
                          Hi Baznz,

If you are losing coverage when aircraft go beyond the Pisa range, then there will be little point in locating a receiver at Cromwell or at any other low level site. Coverage will still be hampered by the local hills or mountains within close proximity to the receiver location. To achieve additional coverage will involve locating one or more receivers at high elevation locations, exactly as Airways Corp have had to do.
                          In that part of the world with Extreme conditions experienced during the winter, the challenge is a bit different to setting an ADSB receiver up in the back yard at your house.
                          Most of the easily accessible sites have long been the domain of Govt. departments or commercial organizations who tend to charge rentals for the use of the site and have a set of rules regarding that use that can often make it prohibitive.
                          If however, you have a mate with a farmhouse (with internet access) on the top of the Pisa range then that would be the place to locate the receiver.

Cheers,
                          Brent NZCH2
                          Well, the approach to runway 23 takes the arriving aircraft over Mount Aspiring and then towards Cromwell from the west. Just west of Cromwell at around 8.000 feet, just when the aircraft turns back towards Queenstown, F-NZQN1 will loose sight of the target. A receiver east of Queenstown with a view to the Kawarau River valley would extend the coverage for these arrivals. It will probably not be able to track all the way to Fracton, but no place will be able to do that.

A receiver at Arrowtown might be able to pick up the last segment, and also cover departures from runway 05.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZDN3 View Post
                            Has NZNV gone offline? I seem to be the only station tracking to near IVC (cuts out about Edendale).
                            NZNV2 is only on when I'm at work. I've got a netbook to run it here at the moment that I hope to have as full-time, but its being a b***h to set up. I'm trying planeplotter at the moment, but only as a trial, and haven't been able to monitor it today to see if it was doing its thing. NZNV1 normally covers within 20nm and further fine and dandy, dunno whats up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZDN3 View Post
                              Has NZNV gone offline? I seem to be the only station tracking to near IVC (cuts out about Edendale).
                              My setup has developed a fault ... doesn't initialise the dongle but does report it's presence! I fear a visit to my tiny roof space again ...

Comment

• Saved myself a trip into the roof space ... turns out I just needed to reinstall zadig.exe and I'm back on the air :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X