No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great shot even if it wasn't the one you were trying for.

Comment

• May 12 2013 270 NM QF A28.jpg I first picked it up at 270 NM at 38000 feet and was surprised to see it so high up the Island. Perhaps Qantas has restarted the QF A27/28 runs again.

Comment

• Problem is that the aircraft to the west of the South Is. are hidden behind the Southern Alps. Further on in this thread you will see that QFA 28 was seen at 270NM from the central east coast. That is about the limit because the aircraft is at the horizon from the receiving station perspective. The Southern Alps at a height of 9,000 ft pose quite a barrier for stations in the eastern part of the South Island. The local SSR in Christchurch can generally only see as far as the FIR boundary points of VANDA, KABKA and KABIN. That SSR is located above CHC at an altitude of 1500ft. So with us enthusiasts at much lower altitude then chances of increased range are slim. This also explains why the TU stations get such good coverage within the South Island. I understand they may be located as much as 1100ft above sea level (stand corrected on that number). They get a very good "look" north and south, but because they are located further inland, tend to suffer worse to the west than those stations located near the east coast (NZCH1, NZCH2, NZCH3 etc). Until there is a quantum change in physics we are not going to reliably achieve better, except for occasional propagation lifts and these will be few and far between and very unpredictable. Lord Howe Island is 430NM NE of Sydney and approximately 960NM from Christchurch which leaves a huge chunk of the "ditch" still not covered, so probably it is not a big player in this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
          SX1322, is that the callsign? And how do you know?
          SX1322 seen landing at Al-Ain in the UAE around 8.00AM NZ time Sunday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZCH View Post
            Problem is that the aircraft to the west of the South Is. are hidden behind the Southern Alps. Further on in this thread you will see that QFA 28 was seen at 270NM from the central east coast. That is about the limit because the aircraft is at the horizon from the receiving station perspective. The Southern Alps at a height of 9,000 ft pose quite a barrier for stations in the eastern part of the South Island. The local SSR in Christchurch can generally only see as far as the FIR boundary points of VANDA, KABKA and KABIN. That SSR is located above CHC at an altitude of 1500ft. So with us enthusiasts at much lower altitude then chances of increased range are slim. This also explains why the TU stations get such good coverage within the South Island. I understand they may be located as much as 1100ft above sea level (stand corrected on that number). They get a very good "look" north and south, but because they are located further inland, tend to suffer worse to the west than those stations located near the east coast (NZCH1, NZCH2, NZCH3 etc). Until there is a quantum change in physics we are not going to reliably achieve better, except for occasional propagation lifts and these will be few and far between and very unpredictable. Lord Howe Island is 430NM NE of Sydney and approximately 960NM from Christchurch which leaves a huge chunk of the "ditch" still not covered, so probably it is not a big player in this.
            NZCH, thank you for your thoughts. I agree that there are natural limits governed by your locations on the east coast. My question was more theoretical; IF the right type of antenna was placed in the right (elevated) spot on the west coast of the South or North Islands,THEN would would it be possible to bridge to Tasman together with a capable receiver in Australia?
            In any case that would take a dedicated setup, as I imagine a directional antenna would mean sacrificing range in any other direction - making it even more theoretical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
              NZCH, thank you for your thoughts. I agree that there are natural limits governed by your locations on the east coast. My question was more theoretical; IF the right type of antenna was placed in the right (elevated) spot on the west coast of the South or North Islands,THEN would would it be possible to bridge to Tasman together with a capable receiver in Australia?
              In any case that would take a dedicated setup, as I imagine a directional antenna would mean sacrificing range in any other direction - making it even more theoretical.
              Kpin the short answer is no.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZCH View Post
                The Southern Alps at a height of 9,000 ft pose quite a barrier for stations in the eastern part of the South Island. The local SSR in Christchurch can generally only see as far as the FIR boundary points of VANDA, KABKA and KABIN. T.
                Funny enough, the 6?dB DPD, and the DIY high gain antenna I made, both have a limit of these boundries from my place Then you take over the next 20 or so miles (with it lying and sometimes saying I still got it when they have fallen off already)

New place will be worse, 4Kms further than here, and right under the flight path. So goodbye ground traffic like I can see from here on the odd occasion.
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• ZK-MVC has now left Malaysian Penang Airport
                  ZK-MVC enroute.JPG

Comment

• This also explains why the TU stations get such good coverage within the South Island. I understand they may be located as much as 1100ft above sea level (stand corrected on that number).
                    NZTU1,Pv is located at 700 feet above MSL. NZTU 2 is located at Temuka and can blow me out of the water on westerly directions. My very best Easterly range was 530 NM, probably with a goodly skip to help. I then lost it till it turned up again at 400 NM.

Comment

• Found ZK-MVC here about to cross some Indonesian islands in the Flores Sea

ZK-MVC crossing FLores sea toward Indonesian islands.JPG

Comment

• pea soup fog. expect circling flights for the rest of the night out of chc
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• ZK-MVC closing in ... at 04.30 UTC
                          ZK-MVC enroute 2.JPG
                          And even closer
                          ZK-MVC BNE.JPG
                          Last edited by Kpin; 2013-05-15, 07:11.

Comment

• Looks like Dunedin has a touch of the Christchurch fog today ; NZ671 doing circles North of OMARU waypoint.ZK-MVC due today.Correction: not fog as I thought but some sort of blockage of the runway; they mention a Mt Cook plane.
                            Last edited by Petenz; 2013-05-15, 21:48. Reason: Extra info

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                              Looks like Dunedin has a touch of the Christchurch fog today ; NZ671 doing circles North of OMARU waypoint.ZK-MVC due today.Correction: not fog as I thought but some sort of blockage of the runway; they mention a Mt Cook plane.
                              NZ671 going back (CHC) after closer approach attemptFR_20130516_Dunedin671.jpg.

Comment

• Home sweet home
                                image_1.png

Comment

Working...
                                X