New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi 41south,

I assume you know the youtube videos showing soldering for the beast? just search for nextgen1090 if you haven't. I found it really useful, but then again u might be someone in the electronics field and hence far more competent than me.

Anyway hope you enjoy assembling it and getting it working, I know I enjoyed it when I did mine and it still brings satisfaction seeing it work.
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-04-10, 11:31.

Comment

• Thanks for the info NBR, I'll check out the video but the instructions are pretty good. I've worked in electronics for over 30 years so my soldering is pretty reasonable I do stay clear of small SMD stuff though - without the proper tools.
      Last edited by 41south; 2013-04-10, 22:51.

Comment

• I purchased mine via JMZ Store. It's the single channel complete kit which was 292 Euro - landed in NZ around $420 NZD
        Many thanks for that info 41 South. Hope the Beast performs for you; when I got mine (built up) it was falling apart and needed some serious work to get it operating. They can be fairly flimsy items unlike those older radios built in the 70/80's. I have a very nice AR-2002 VHF receiver old,but a goody still as it allows me to listen to pilot and control information.

Comment

• I'm enchanted by the ATR-76s. Now this morning both MVA and MVB are on their way to Dunedin

ATR76.JPG

Comment

• I'm enchanted by the ATR-76s. Now this morning both MVA and MVB are on their way to Dunedin
            ZK-MVC is due in April according to my info; anyone know what date in April?

Comment

• Nope, anytime from now - June. Also ZK-OXA June on now that 2x 737s are on the tarmac ready to be sold/go back (ZK-NGE and ZK-NGK)
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Quick update on the Mode-S Beast install - YUK Deaf as a post compared to my $20 DVB-T dongle. I placed it in the exact same location as the dongle and used the same antenna and connectors and it was hopeless. Lost a flight north from WN somewhere near Kapiti Is, where I normally track them until close to New Plymouth. I'm going to go back and check the web pages regarding the config as there is zero documentation comes with it. The only thing I think I can change is dip switches, which are out-of-the-box set.
                Also the sma connector in the kit appears to have changed as it is now in line with the led's and usb connector (it used to be higher due to it's construction) so now the front panel does not line up and can't be fitted. All in all disappointing for a $400 + spend and long wait.

Comment

• ZK-DVM tracked by T-NZCH1 all the way up to Manuka Bay at 1000-1600'. Really excellent low level coverage
                  ZK-DVM.jpg

Comment

• Not been on here for a while... lots of new detectors online

I finally got around to fixing the mini-kits preamp on Wednesday. The first stage transistor got zapped (again) by static build-up on the antenna so this time I've added a DC short across the input. Still using the original mains wire G7RGQ antenna which has a bend in the the top section - I plan to replace it with a version I've made from welding rod and shorten the cable run "soon"...

My FR location is now in the correct hemisphere so my feed should help a bit with coverage of ground movements at NZCH.

I also bought a cheap DVB-T dongle as a SDR and testing it with RTL1090 I found its sensitivity is as good as the Aurora receiver !

Comment

• Bit more of an update. It looks to me as if the Beast isn't deaf, it's getting overloaded! Using my home built colinear with a short feed cable appears to bury the front end in signal. I found this by dead fluke when I happened to be in the middle of changing around antennas and went back inside to find lots of planes showing with nothing on the end of the coax! So far a piece of wet string is working fairly well, but still a bit of experimenting to go. I'm running the Beast and dongle on PC's side by side for comparison for a while. Slightly happier I must say

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
                        ZK-DVM tracked by T-NZCH1 all the way up to Manuka Bay at 1000-1600'. Really excellent low level coverage
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]1978[/ATTACH]
                        heh not bad

I can just make out the tracks in the middle of the mess on my PP screen. Note sure it would have been all me tho, sometimes it seems to hang on to me even when I've lost stuff
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          heh not bad

I can just make out the tracks in the middle of the mess on my PP screen. Note sure it would have been all me tho, sometimes it seems to hang on to me even when I've lost stuff
                          Yes, it is a good question who is 'credited' on FB24.com. While I was following the flight it was T-NZCH1 all the way. Once a receiver is 'locked on' to an aircraft it seems to stay that way for as long as possible. Only when the receiver definitely 'drops the ball' will it shift to any other receiver nearby.
                          And as you say, sometimes I get the feeling that even when some other receiver most have take over, credit is still given to the previous receiver. I think I have seen other posts on that subject as well.

Comment

• I think thats DVM buried there somewhere. Quite often have it on/off my logs.

ZKDVM.jpg

Spotted a new one for me today. Dassuly VH-MQK not sure where it was enroute

Comment

• ZK-MVB went for a scenic flight round Banks Peninsula this morning while waiting for fog to clear at NZCH
                              NZM51.jpg
                              Edit: then executed a missed approach and headed back to NZWN !
                              Last edited by Templeton; 2013-04-13, 21:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Templeton View Post
                                ZK-MVB went for a scenic flight round Banks Peninsula this morning while waiting for fog to clear at NZCH
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]1982[/ATTACH]
                                Yes, and it seems like they are returning to WLG ZK-MVB.jpg

And JST287 gave it shot as well, but no ...

Comment

Working...
                                X