No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be happier living in Christchurch than Palmerston North Pete, QFA & VOZ B737's, JST & ANZ A320's, NZM ATR76's and a couple of times a week an ANZ B777! Oh, and the RNZAF King Airs. That's my lot!
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Not only, but also, CHC is an engineering base and attracts a few overseas visitors for repair/maintenance most often direct from Australia so never seen north of the line.
      Michael
      Palmerston North,
      New Zealand
      ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Hey Petenz - you don't seem to be sharing on FR24 (but I see you on PP)

edit: now I see you tracking ARG1180 EZE/SYD
        Last edited by deconz; 2013-03-11, 23:21.

Comment

• Hi Deconz,
          Depends whether I have remembered to turn on the FR24 feed program after shutting down the computer for a reboot after 2/3 days full on.
          BTW does anyone have any info on when the next ATR7-600 is due ijn NZ?
          Last edited by Petenz; 2013-03-12, 20:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            I told you you would strive for more lol!

LMR400, from the guys in akl? Mine was about $3.90/m from memory.

My first attempt is just as bad, and yeilds very good results. Infact, similar to what I am getting now on the $200 DPD 9dB colinear without it at its final height! My DIY gives good hits out to about 170nm constatly, with 150 to the north/south and sometimes 190 with high alt ones.

It's quite critical how tall the elements are, and how long the loops are in the middle. I did a mixture of 2 forum results to get it together.
            I didn't find any LMR400 that cheap yet, HRH Holdings in Akl have it for about $5.50/m so I'd be interested to know your supplier. The antenna in the pic is actually a little better built than it looks in the picture, that top loop looks very distorted.

Comment

• Originally posted by 41south View Post
              I didn't find any LMR400 that cheap yet, HRH Holdings in Akl have it for about $5.50/m so I'd be interested to know your supplier. The antenna in the pic is actually a little better built than it looks in the picture, that top loop looks very distorted.
              That was them! Tiz where I got mine from. Nice n Prompt delivery etc. (for some reason I thought it was closer to 3.. oops)

Not so impressed with my coverage gain with the DPD Over my DIY (similar design as yours) I've gained a bit more up the coast, but still lost most contacts over the tasman waypoints and around the top of the island. The main difference is its stronger signal at those extremities. I was expecting to reach a bit further than 175nm to the west as I do now.

The skippers to wellington are a bit more prominent, but thats about it.

Which goes to show, if done right those little DIYs are actually quite high gain it seems. I won't be departing with it so soon afterall.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• That was version 1 of it too. I made version 2 a lot neater and supposedly more accurate and it didn't work well at all. The loops in this one are 1.5 turns and the measurements are otherwise as per this picture http://www.tech-software.net/1090_ant_02.JPG with loops around 10mm rather than 20mm.

This is the improved design http://www.qsl.net/dl4mea/picadsb/adsb-ant-drawing.gif

And this is the Amos 5 that I'd like to try next http://f5ann.pagesperso-orange.fr/an...nne%20AMOS.jpg
                Last edited by 41south; 2013-03-12, 22:01. Reason: Added urls

Comment

• dl4mea (Guenter from ModeSBeast) defined that first one a bit http://modesbeast.com/g7rgq.html and is the one I followed, With the coils exact. But short 1/4 wave radials as he said there (made no difference), But I had already made the element lenghts similar to the earlier one from memory. Was excellent coverage.

It did make a difference changing the top element length though.

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/fo...88df0&start=24 is a good read about it.

I stocked up on coax offucts from the new house build to do a coaxial colinear, but the minute measurements and soldering put me off. So when I had the opportunity to get in on a DPD order which has brass tubing contained in it I jumped at the chance.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                    BTW does anyone have any info on when the next ATR7-600 is due in NZ?
                    April sometime ... then ZK-MVD in September
                    Last edited by deconz; 2013-03-13, 00:21. Reason: wrong rego

Comment

• I'd be happier living in Christchurch than Palmerston North Pete, QFA & VOZ B737's, JST & ANZ A320's, NZM ATR76's and a couple of times a week an ANZ B777! Oh, and the RNZAF King Airs. That's my lot!
                      Hi Mike, I thought I saw a third RNZAF King Air flying to Napier two days ago; was I mistaking an ATR76 for a King Air?

Comment

• There's 4 in circulation.

Comment

• There's 4 King Airs Peter, NZ7121,22,23 and 24 with respective Hex of C87F1D, C87F1F,C87F20 and C87F1E.
                          Michael
                          Palmerston North,
                          New Zealand
                          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• In the Sharers box in Aircraft View in PP most of the letters are coloured cyan(in my scheme), but Dk,DB, and Lj, and now Ui, are white; is there any significance to this other than they are not in my list as 'local sharers'.
                            I have tried to decipher the PP maps of sharers in various countries, NZ is just an afterthought and quite useless. Perhaps we should ask for a special Australia/NZ map of GS to be shown separately. Apparently there are a number of different grades of GS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                              In the Sharers box in Aircraft View in PP most of the letters are coloured cyan(in my scheme), but Dk,DB, and Lj, and now Ui, are white; is there any significance to this other than they are not in my list as 'local sharers'.
                              I have tried to decipher the PP maps of sharers in various countries, NZ is just an afterthought and quite useless. Perhaps we should ask for a special Australia/NZ map of GS to be shown separately. Apparently there are a number of different grades of GS.

I did just that in the planeplotter group. Asked for a map showing AU/NZ larger and not just the east coast of aussie and us overlapping like crazy.

But yes, there is Sharer, Ground Station, Master User with MLAT enabled and AutoMlat

Meaning is actually at the top of the maps showing the uploader positions
                              Current Active PlanePlotter Ground Stations without Auto Mlats (cyan), Ground Stations with Auto Mlats (green), Sector Master Users (white), other uploading sharers (yellow) and other sharers (magenta)
                              I *think* this also relates to the colours in the aircraft view.

http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/w/pa...roundStationGS explains the differences

Comment

• Just ordered a Mode-S Beast MkII as it seemed like a good box for the next step - and the Euro is pretty good at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X