No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my PCB Antenna in the post today. It's extended my view to the north which has helped me lock onto more ZQN traffic. In particular, today I locked onto departures at FL145 and held onto them even heading north for 5-10 minutes. Trans-tasman traffic stays with me until around the 175 nm marker from my location! Unfortunately I still have a tall pine tree that blocks much of the DUD traffic ...

024.jpg025.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by deconz View Post
      Got my PCB Antenna in the post today. It's extended my view to the north which has helped me lock onto more ZQN traffic. In particular, today I locked onto departures at FL145 and held onto them even heading north for 5-10 minutes. Trans-tasman traffic stays with me until around the 175 nm marker from my location! Unfortunately I still have a tall pine tree that blocks much of the DUD traffic ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1782[/ATTACH]
      Great effort John.

Just add some black tape and you could be a Canterbury supporter.

Let it run a couple of days, see how the fellow from DuD gets on and then start thinking about what needs to be done to complement each other.

Cheers,

Brent NZCH2

Comment

• Kiwis pay more than Brits for flights

Kiwis pay hundreds more than Brits for NZ-UK trip
        House of Travel says travellers often need to first get out of NZ - such as to Australia - to get a good deal, even to other destinations
        Flights between London and Auckland are up to twice as expensive when booking from New Zealand compared to buying return trips out of Britain.
        A Herald survey of British travel agents and websites found return flights originating in London were vastly cheaper than NZ deals on equivalent trips leaving Auckland - with major airlines offering tickets as low as $1500.
        House of Travel says travellers often need to first get out of NZ - such as to Australia - to get a good deal, even to other destinations.
        Airlines are defending the disparity as a matter of demand and local market conditions.
        An Air NZ flight from London to Auckland in April and returning in May, booked from Flight Centre in the UK, cost £852 - $1620 on the currency exchange rate at the time.
        The equivalent flight from Auckland to London on the same days, booked through Flight Centre in New Zealand, cost $3189.
        And even when adjusting for seasons - so both return flights arrive in spring from autumn - it was at least $600 more expensive to fly return from Auckland.
        Flights out of New Zealand cannot be bought on Air New Zealand's UK website, and one-way tickets out of London are almost as expensive as return trips.
        House of Travel spokesman Brent Thomas said the price discrepancy wasn't widely known by New Zealanders. His firm hadn't received any complaints, probably because travellers were unaware of it.
        "But there are times we put our customers onflights to Australia to fly to the US or even further to the UK because that's cheaper than flying out of New Zealand."
        Mr Thomas said he believed the fare difference was due to demand and seasons, but ultimately it was the airlines' decision what flights cost.
        Annie Webster, who wrote to the Herald about the discrepancy, said it was fair that Air NZ wanted to attract tourists to the country.
        But there were many UK expats who wanted to return home to visit friends and family, who in turn would be encouraged to visit New Zealand for a holiday, she said.
        "Where's the level playing field? It sucks."
        Ms Webster said the planes had to "go in both directions anyway".
        An Air NZ spokeswoman said there was more demand for a return flight from Auckland to London than from London to Auckland.
        "This is why the price for the journey originating in Auckland is higher than that from London. In simple terms, the most cheap fares sell out first on any airline operating to and from New Zealand."

She said the best available fare at any time in any market was always determined by a combination of passenger demand and flight availability.

Other influences on price included the cost of international travel compared to other goods in the local market, seasonal demand influence on price, currency fluctuations and competitor pricing.
        In the past 10 years, the NZ dollar has become about 33 per cent more expensive for UK visitors.
        In 2003, a pound was worth $3. Now it fetches less than $2.
        On the 2003 exchange rate, the disparity in the Air NZ fares would have been $616, down from $1569 on current rates.
        A Qantas spokesman said every travel market was different, with big variations in the competitive, economic and regulatory environment from country to country.
        "Airlines have to match their air fares to local conditions, which is why a ticketsold in London will have a different price from a ticket sold in Auckland. This is true for all international airlines, as it is for global retailers and other international businesses."
        Aviation commentator Peter Clark said a "fare isn't just a fare" - sales, seasons, cost of supplies and fuel, demand and how full a flight was all affected the price of a ticket.
        A UK travel agent expressed amazement when told of the disparity.
        "That's amazing, isn't it? It's quite common though. It's weird but I can't explain it; it's just the way it is."
        Travel agents were not willing to haggle on price but offered to beat quotes from competitors.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-news/ http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/?JavaScript=1&search=air
        http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=EKCH
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXYBh_ut-fo&feature ...düüüse Im Sauseschritt

Comment

• nzm3.jpg

Now that's what we talk'n bout Full cover from middle of the island to the deep south
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by scanhorse View Post
            Kiwis pay hundreds more than Brits for NZ-UK trip

http://www.nznewsuk.co.uk/travel/?id...ts-for-flights
            Was looking last night at various options to get to LON for Xmas/NY and found EK out of ATH to AKL RETURN for NZ$ 2,299 all up!!! Free date changes - EUR 110 to cancel once ticketed but prior to travel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1789[/ATTACH]

Now that's what we talk'n bout Full cover from middle of the island to the deep south
              Watch out in about an hour as it looks like I'll nab AR1180 EZE/SYD off my south coast, just like I did a couple of days back

Comment

• I get them late at night, but think its only Mode-S and not ADSB? Actually can't be. Cause it will be requirement. Don't seem to get odd tracks left on my screen. Unless its on the very verge of my limit and I only get a whiff
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Godd afternoon everyone. Angus McLean is my name, and I live on the coastal hills south of Momona. I have one of those little AIS units on order which were spoken of here about three weeks ago, but regretfully cannot access landline broadband as 6.2kms is just too far for old Telecom copper. I'm hopeful that one day Chorus may connect me to a fibre pipe which runs just 200m away, but not holding my breath. Should have wide coverage down south at 1030ft altitude, and can see Virgin, Qantas and Argentine flights visually on a clear day well out to sea nw of the west coast.

cheers

Angus

Comment

• Welcome aboard Angus! That's tough not having access to wired broadband - something many of us simply take for granted. As I understand it, Chorus need to install a pretty expensive cabinet on that fibre line in order to provide service. Are you able to get net access via the RBI? http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/wireless/

Comment

• Yes I'm on a 3G stick but limited to 5gb per month at a lot of dosh, so can't stay connected for hours on end, even if the stick would let me. Like the Telecom ones, as soon as it gets hot it disconnects. I'll just ease into things slowly when the device arrives and maybe be on line at Momona 'busy' times like 1600 to 1700hrs when there are as many as 4 jets here at once ) Just seen MVB approaching Chch. Didn't realise it was already here.

Angus

Comment

• Sounds expensive Angus! Email info@fr24.com and ask them to manually activate you. Automatic sign up requires three aircraft feeds at once. Sadly, most of the NZ 733 fleet are not fully ADS-B compliant. All you can rely on for sure are NZ's A320's (which you seldom see in DUD), VA and JQ plus the two new Mt Cook ATR72-600's ZK-MVA and MVB. Watch out for MVC which delivers March

Comment

• If anyone sees pA showing up on PP, don't panic, it is only I testing an RTL1090 dongle on a laptop to find out if it can be used as a mobile near an airport.Just using a magnetic based tiny antenna on my roof.50 NM seems to be my range so far, but could do better out to sea.

Comment

• Look out for AR1180 in the deep south again today

Comment

• I notice this morning that on my aircraft screen I have 6 aircraft on the route - LGW -CMN, I am sure the ATR's & B737's are definately not travelling that route. If you are entering any routes could you please make sure you add the routes correctly. Preferably using the ICAO airport designations, and not the IATA ones.
                              Good to see that the outter limits seem to be increasing too. Someone has got around 220nm from NZCH

Comment

• Originally posted by NZWND NDB View Post
                                I notice this morning that on my aircraft screen I have 6 aircraft on the route - LGW -CMN, I am sure the ATR's & B737's are definately not travelling that route. If you are entering any routes could you please make sure you add the routes correctly. Preferably using the ICAO airport designations, and not the IATA ones.
                                Good to see that the outter limits seem to be increasing too. Someone has got around 220nm from NZCH
                                There is a thread on the forum for you to notify any changes that may be required to the database;

Regards,
                                Gregg
                                Last edited by fungus; 2013-01-26, 23:50.
                                YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
                                X