New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NZCH View Post
    I was sharing up until a while ago when I got an email to say that my clock was out of sync, so I switched sharing off. I think from memory, I was using one of the MS clock sevices and that is clearly not accurate enough.

Can someone enlighten me as to how best to use a clock service which meets the requirements of MLAT? I am keen to give MLAT a try even if only for the Scott Base flights.

Thanks in advance.

Brent
    I'm using Meinberg updater checking quite regularly (something in the laptop makes the clock run fast) so its never more than .3-.6 sec out now. Installs as a fire and forget service, and then you can get a GUI to check on its progress and advanced configure

NTP client and server download for different operating systems

Theres also another dinky program that can act as a local server and allow other PCs on the network to sync, but the name eludes me.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Hi Craig,

I think that was the same one I investigated but then I had to leave the country for work before I got it running, so will have another crack at it.

Would be keen to catch up with you sometime to talk (read HELP) get Plane plotter sorted. I have some stuff working but other bits leave a little to be desired.

Brent

Comment

• Not a problem Just sing out when you have an upcomming weekend free and I'll endevour to get out there.

(give me an excuse to return the Heliax too)
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by NZCH View Post
          I was sharing up until a while ago when I got an email to say that my clock was out of sync, so I switched sharing off. I think from memory, I was using one of the MS clock sevices and that is clearly not accurate enough.

Can someone enlighten me as to how best to use a clock service which meets the requirements of MLAT? I am keen to give MLAT a try even if only for the Scott Base flights.

Thanks in advance.

Brent
          I use this, worked ok so far
          How to install NTP on Windows for precise timekeeping using the Meinberg setup program.
          T-EGCC15

Comment

• Silly question Pete.. you aren't running a 2nd copy of PP anywhere are you?

Or do you have a mate We are now showing 2 sharers in Geraldine at the same location

QI and Pv

Comment

• I have just acquired a new laptop computer and as an experiment I installed PP on it using my previous registration, but it appears to be using a different handle to my usual. I do have a mate intersted in ADSB who has built the same antenna you have and we have been trying to see how well it works; going to have another go today at putting up his antenna, but as it is on his roof it is a dicey do getting it up there However as he is in Temuka there should be no problems.
              Last edited by Petenz; 2013-01-07, 20:55. Reason: addition

Comment

• That explains things lol. We couldn't work out who/what it was

Sharer code is generated based on machine info (randome selection of serial numbers, names, HW etc) to prevent replication.

Comment

• NTP

Originally posted by lorrebreaker View Post
                  I use this, worked ok so far
                  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
                  Thanks for the direction re NTP. I found some decent instructions for Meinbergglobal, so will give that a go when time permits.
                  Also thanks for the offer of help Craig, I may take you up on that. Will persevere for a little longer yet.

Regards,

Brent

Comment

• And another baby to the FR24 family is born!

Well done lads, seems another group effort has the bottom half of the south now with some additional cover based at Invergiggle

And 188nm for your first snot is nothing to be ashamed of (thats further than me!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                      And another baby to the FR24 family is born!

Well done lads, seems another group effort has the bottom half of the south now with some additional cover based at Invergiggle

And 188nm for your first snot is nothing to be ashamed of (thats further than me!)
                      Thanks Oblivan!

Looks like a pretty amazing lobe on the mini antenna that came with the USB dongle!!! Pity I loose em over Fiordland :-(

This stuff sure is addictive - next step is a better outdoor antenna :-)

Comment

• Good atmospherics atm, nearly to the airport Dunedin from Brent. And quite the distance north myself.

Hmm.. We had Q B763 into chc today on 45/46. now theres a B73 on the stand, and one from Queenstown that is meant to be going to Syd!

And I just spotted the one he lost heading out from DUD you just caught over the coast.

I quickly found this is one of those things you need MORE from. Like camera toys, always looking to upgrade and push the distance that wee bit more.
                        Last edited by Oblivian; 2013-01-09, 02:51.

Comment

• It's the day for diverts. Seems VOZ SYD/ZQN diverted to DUD. The return ZQN/SYD flight has been cancelled and aircraft just departed DUD for SYD as VOZ 9935

Comment

• AKL-ZQN ended up here also. Must be dicey landing in the basin. Finally enroute now.

Webcam looks.. damp

Comment

• In the aircraft view where is says 'sharers' I see ft,x7,dI,Pv and mostly they are all green, except when the Wellington guy,Dk, steps in and he shows as black . When I tried a new antenna on a short pole using PP my QI was also black. Does anyone know the significance of the colours?
                              Nice to know we have a newcomer in Invercargill; however I have not seen his name come up in the sharing yet even when I appear to be the sole sharer in the south. Today I noticed a nice little French made jet owned by Viper Aviation arrive in ChCh. Seems to be quite a plethora of small jets lately, such as the Citation ZK-PGA

Comment

• We are the re-incarnated PGAs official home base Though, its often not here.

In the Aircraft list, the actual Registration colours change too. Green = MLAT possible on no-position aircraft, Orange = may be possible. Black = not likely.

In the sharer column, green is a master user/ground station. Black is just a sharer

If you CTRL-CLICK them it will bring up a box showing it waiting for data from the others to position the aircraft. But I'm yet to get it working, most mine appear from me, and others data is too sporadic.

If you want some reading material.. http://www.coaa.co.uk/multilat.pdf

N83TY.jpg

And while I remember, make sure your home location is checked as correct in planeplotter since you moved. Imperative its accurate for being a master-user etc Not a good look that both stations appear at the same location.
                                Last edited by Oblivian; 2013-01-09, 06:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X