No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have set up The flags as you suggested but still have no flags on the aircraft view I am doing something wrong but cannot figure it out. All the flags from Kinetic are in the Planeplotter folder as you said and I have defined the country flags as BSflags a text file. What am I missing?

Comment

• You downloaded the BSFlags.txt file I attached? (from memory the one included by default is wrong)
      Put in c:\program files\coaa\planeplotter ?
      And all the .bmp (pictures) into c:\program files\coaa\planeplotter\BMPFlags (a new folder you create)?

The text file should contain stuff like this:
      C80000 C87FFF C:\Program files\COAA\Planeplotter\BMPFlags\New_Zealand.bmp

Which means any hex between those numbers to look for the file at the location after. So they all have to match etc or they won't be found properly.

Aircraft View - setup aircraft window also has to have Flag1 enabled as one of the columns
      ppflag.jpg

You will also need to close/reopen so it finds the file to reference their location
      /edit On second thought, Flag1 might be operator flag. You also have to go Options - Flags - Enable country flags
      Last edited by Oblivian; 2012-12-30, 05:47.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Success as far as Country flags are concerned; many thanks Oblivian(ft)Now to look at the Logos ! I have the space now on the aircraft list ready for the logos but no .text file to help point to the operator logos.
        Last edited by Petenz; 2012-12-30, 06:58.

Comment

• logos are similar, but you have to define where they are in PP
          You can open them and put them in a directory such as c:\program files\coaa\planeplotter\logos

Then go Options - Flags - Define company flags.

Then point to to that logo directory.

The tricky bit is ensuring you are using an up to date basestation.sqb database file (thats where my manual and editing adding via SBSPopulate comes into it) with the operator ICAO code inserted as this is what is looked up to find the same flag.

The international one is often lacking local operators to NZ too. IE, I made some of my own flags for Mt Cook (NZM), Jet Connect (QNZ), Canty Aero Club (CAC) among other NZ only known ICAO codes so they appear for the flight school etc I think I uploaded them somewhere in this thread for use too.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Dk is Wellington and Ph is a new one, it too I think is in wellington. i am d1 in woodend NZCH6

Comment

• No luck with the Airline logos as I don't seem to have a .text file with Hex codes for the airlines to point to the logos and SBS Populate doesn't seem to want to run on my 64 bit Windows . I am trying to persevere with PP , but it sure is complicated, as Mark said when I got the Beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                No luck with the Airline logos as I don't seem to have a .text file with Hex codes for the airlines to point to the logos and SBS Populate doesn't seem to want to run on my 64 bit Windows . I am trying to persevere with PP , but it sure is complicated, as Mark said when I got the Beast.
                Nope, no txt file.. the data for matching logo to image comes from inside the planeplotter database file usually found in c:\coaa\planeplotter\log files

called basestation.sqb and flightroute.sqb (pre-populated international version is here. But I started with my own and grew it from there using local knowledge and the CAA website http://pp-sqb.mantma.co.uk/ )

In PP you have to define it under options - sqbdatabase options. There you can confirm the location of them and adjust local/automated edit options.

Theres a 64b version of SBSpopulate (Im on x64 myself) and by default will go looking for a copy of 'basestation' software configuration file installed on the machine. To get around that, I leave my copy open and configure it to find the basestation.sqb. (settings - database - locate it in above folder)

One of the columns in this dbase is the operator, and thats where it matches the flag to.

This is a shot from an app I use to also externally adjust the database files (SQBs) called SQLite.

You can see the most common columns and the last column has the operator ICAO code present. This is what PP uses to find the operator logo

sqlite.jpg

SBSpopulate (when working) is a nice wee front end to help pull those details
                sbspopulate.jpg

Comment

• Seems we now have an Lj (or Li) online in chc now too

If everyone knows how to load GPX overlays http://www.coaa.co.uk/sharerlocations.php has one extracted from the sharer dbase

The primary map only shows 2 uploaders and 2 MLAT sharers however...

Comment

• Once again Oblivian you have given me invaluble advice and now appear to have all the logos appearing automatically. I find a lot of the PP help tutorials hard to understand, but that may be because I am getting on a bit. The only thing I can't find is how to save the flight paths ; I have to do it with Print Screen and Paste in Paint and save as a Jpeg.
                    Regards,
                    Peter

Comment

• Hey no problem at all. Forums are all about helping and sharing information, and this will likely be helping others silently in the background sort it out too

I read their help system as a start point and then google and tinkering find out the rest.

Your method is how I get my screenshots for coverage contrail paths etc. (CTRL-prtscrn captures currently selected window). Hovering over the map shows the distance from your location in the taskbar bottom right (if you have your own position setup correctly)

PP does have an automatic screenshot method under options - graphics output it seems, which can save shots at timed intervals also.

But if you mean the permanent red ones in my pic which are the flightpaths, they are over-laid outline files (NZCH_1012_upper_ats.out) from a zip file full of outline files (From SBSResource app). Theres also a domestic low altitude set but combined the screen gets a bit crowded.

Mike has the waypoints GPS shared here http://nzradar.com/?page_id=849

While on the subject of flag/logos and the likes. You can manually adjust database settings from within PP also. Holding CTRL and right clicking aircraft in a/c view brings up a window. From here you can go 'edit' and add route corrections.

Comment

• Yes I do have Mikes Waypoints file and have added one to it using EditPlus and copy/ paste, but it is tricky and I have got 5 more southern waypoints ready to insert into Mikes .GPX file. Need a steady hand and I shall wait till a few days after Xmas and New Year to insert them. I wonder what 'Natracks' is and if it is related to those IFR flight paths?
                        Regards,
                        Peter.

Comment

• Could be, googling tells me they are international waypoints, so could be very similar?

Seem to be a lot of referencing for them for Europe and US airspace but not so much ours.

Theres a bundle of them here http://jetvision.de/sbs/data/nzaa.zip

But PP will only recognise the .out files. Put them in the 'chart files' folder (c:\coaa\planeplotter\) and it will open them on load

Comment

• I have managed to get Jetstar,AirNZ and Virgin logos up automatically but apart from the ANZ Mode S, none of the Mode S planes come up, such as Air Nelson and Eagle Air. I have inserted the BMP's for those airlines (taken from Mikes NZRADAR Mode S)What else do I need to do?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Peter

Comment

• I suspect, if you followed the suggestion on the Planeplotter group post (yep, I saw that too ) it will be using the quick lookup for filling in JST/ANZ since its a common worldwide used one and still ignoring the database file (or the database does not know of the local ones which is more likely)

NZM (mt cook), CAC (canty aero), VAL (vincent), RLK (air nelson), AFN (air freight NZ), EAG (eagle) and more are all localised ones the CAA recognise, but are not registered with international ICAO registers so are likely left off the list generated overseas.

The way to check, is next time you see one in the AC list, do my wee CTRL-RT click trick, go edit and see if the ICAO short code is present. If it is not, add it.

Failing that if you want to cheat I can host my SQB file for you which I like to keep up to date myself, but it will not reflect your own past contacts.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZCH View Post
                                Welcome Deconz,

Please do not hesitate to ask if there is any assistance we can provide. Looking forward to better coverage down south.

Brent NZCH2
                                Hi Brent

My USB dongle arrived in the post yesterday afternoon. I'm having fun getting it going and wanted to message you off line about aerial options, especially seeing how far south you track! My email is john at eustonfellas dot net

Comment

Working...
                                X