New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there,
    I'm 6km South East of Christchurch Airport, NZCH4, using the microadsb. And the demo antenna still, which is pretty slack of me; even if I bound a pole onto my chimney (given that I still have a chimney) it would get it above my trees would be a pretty good idea I think. Anyway, I have just purchased PlanePlotter, so I'll give that a go.
    The MLAT does sound like fun. But I was thinking, in order to share tips, etc, would it be a good idea to meet up over a beer sometime at some strategically located bar?

Comment

• Hi Everyone,
      The beer sounds good, but the only bar I know in ChCh is called The Brewery in Woolston, an earthquake replacement. So good of you all to reply to my post so quickly. I am hopeful that once I am installed on the Geraldine Downs I shall see so much further,probably down past Dunedin and closer to Wellington and Nelson. Once I get some pointers on MLAT for PP and how to set the router we should be in a good position for seeing those elusive non-plottable planes that clutter the South Island skies. Does anyone have an understandable method of setting the router for sharing raw data for MLAT?
      Regards, Petenz NZTU1

Comment

• NZCH2 is just out of Hornby.. And a VERY high gain antenna and short length of 1.5" thick coax cable helps

Depending on your router, you can get an idea from portforward.com by selecting the model and something like, 'RDP' as the service to forward. Then change the type and port number to what PP requires to get through.

There is the chance your PC could change its IP now and then if its offline for a length of time, so its always safer to force an address onto it to at the same time (a static address) so it keeps the same local one and the traffic always knows what device to talk to.

Give that a splat, if you get stuck jump on the chat one evening and catch me, may be able to remote your PC using teamviewer and help out

I'm back on my MicroADSB for the time being also. The beast went a bit deaf on me, working out what will be cheaper.. to freight it across the other side of the world or just get another one My original plan was to upgrade the antenna to a DPD or similar high gain, then sent my MircoADSB to a mate in dunedin to host it on top of the hill facing the airport. But so far its been too damn handy as a backup or portable to sit at the airfield (for instance I hunted the 787 with it) to part ways with as yet.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• OMG,. So many recievers around CHC,. and not Uploading to FR24

Dont forget guys,. the more the merrier,. and also a better coverage of your local Airport
          (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
          1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Originally posted by delcomp View Post
            OMG,. So many recievers around CHC,. and not Uploading to FR24

Dont forget guys,. the more the merrier,. and also a better coverage of your local Airport
            On the contrary.. most of us are. I know of NZCH1 (me) NZCH2 with his epic coverage, NZCH4 south of the airport, NZCH5 is me.. duplicate account. NZCH6 is woodend and now we have a TU that should appear now and then
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Rgr Craig,. Nice to hear,. and will be nice when DUD starts up

1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Hi Templeton,
                I am interested in your setup as I to0 am operating a MicroAdsb and am having doughnut null problems. I have a high gain DPD antenna on a 30 foot pole in Geraldine. The preamp you got from Minikits in Oz and I see they have several . What was the version you got ? Would it be suitable to place in front of the Microadsb unit or would it be prefereable to get the Aurora ssrx from Britain? The SBS 3 is a rather expensive buy for a hobby and I have been offered a Beast to feed Flightradar24 when I move up to the Downs, another 300 feet higher than I am at present.(and behind the Catholic Church in relation to ChCh)

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                  Hi Templeton,
                  I am interested in your setup as I to0 am operating a MicroAdsb and am having doughnut null problems. I have a high gain DPD antenna on a 30 foot pole in Geraldine. The preamp you got from Minikits in Oz and I see they have several . What was the version you got ? Would it be suitable to place in front of the Microadsb unit or would it be prefereable to get the Aurora ssrx from Britain? The SBS 3 is a rather expensive buy for a hobby and I have been offered a Beast to feed Flightradar24 when I move up to the Downs, another 300 feet higher than I am at present.(and behind the Catholic Church in relation to ChCh)
                  Thats well known for the microADSB. They do not like strong/close signals. You can get an idea of that from my plots. Go out as far as 170NM, but close they dissappear over the airfield/my place. There is a toggle in the free ADSBScope software to help eliminate it, but as yet they have not worked out how to integrate the trigger into Planeplotter.

Also the higher gain antenna you have, the weaker it is always going to be closer to the centre, its just the nature of the beast when it comes to waves. The only real way around it is make a second directional antenna or similar and have it feeding into the one input.

They are perfect for a startup device, but in the end everyone seems to move to a Beast (mines broken) or fork out for the more expensive imports. There is a closer AUS retailer however that send to NZ.

I was recommended one of these http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/pr...1090-a-tm.html

And know of someone who has one but not yet using it, I was going to 'borrow' it but can't get hands on him just yet.

Comment

• @Petenz - On looking at Flightradar today I noticed you had a hit over Arthurs pass with QFA46. this was at 1345NZ time. I took a screen shot of it but can't figure out how to u/load it here

Well done

Comment

• NZWND NDB
                      UAE413-T.jpg

How I did this was,..Press Print on the required Screen.
                      Then,. insert into MS Powerpoint,. adjusted to fit the Screen.
                      when finished,. Saved as a JPG format.

Comment

• Thanks NZWND NDB , I seem to mostly get my hits down around Oamaru southwards and out to sea, otherwise I see either NZCH2 or 1. They must have superb setups. I believe NZCH2 has a 1 1/2 inch coax cable; mine is only 1/2 inch. However I shall, in about 12 days, be moving to a site up on the Geraldine Downs with great views North/east,south, and west. Here I am blocked by the Catholic church and steep hills all around my SW and NW. Can't wait to move.

Comment

• I would use 'print screen' and open in 'Paint' , then 'Image' then 'Stretch and Skew' and put in 30% tab 30% and save as a Jpeg. This can then be used in Quick Reply under 'Insert Image'. Try that, in might work.

Comment

• I would use 'print screen' and open in 'Paint' , then 'Image' then 'Stretch and Skew' and put in 30% tab 30% and save as a Jpeg. This can then be used in Quick Reply under 'Insert Image'. Try that, in might work. Santiago.jpg Hopefully this is an image from my Adsb Scope showing the Santiago flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                              Thanks NZWND NDB , I seem to mostly get my hits down around Oamaru southwards and out to sea, otherwise I see either NZCH2 or 1. They must have superb setups. I believe NZCH2 has a 1 1/2 inch coax cable; mine is only 1/2 inch. However I shall, in about 12 days, be moving to a site up on the Geraldine Downs with great views North/east,south, and west. Here I am blocked by the Catholic church and steep hills all around my SW and NW. Can't wait to move.
                              I wouldn't call my setup superb (NZCH1) MicroaADSB (beast of to be fixed) Home made antenna, and some LMR400 coax. Still get lots of out of band noise received. But can ping out to about 170nm in this nicer weather.

It seems I told some porkies about NZCH2 - has 1/5inch not 1 and a half My fingers look larger than they are clearly. http://www.rfparts.com/heliax_LDF450A.html That stuff. I have some of it in my garage but its not very bendable.

Comment

• NZWND NDB

And as you have seen, the prob, with Paint,. you cant move it around.
                                to get what you want.
                                Therefore getting a double screen print.

Ill still stick to MS Powerpoint,. and have more control over what I hardcopy.

David

Dont forget to change your clocks this weekend, you guys
                                Last edited by delcomp; 2012-09-27, 07:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X