Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin
    replied
    I could add that after the ash cloud the traffic has increased and now we are making some money from Google Adsense that covers the monthly bills + about 0.5 receivers per month. That makes it 2 receivers in 4 months. And right now i'm preparing for sending out 4 new receivers (2 paid by Google Adsense + 2 paid by me). Once again i will invest money in the project instead of making money on it.

If you think that running this kind of page is so great business, why don't you do it yourself?

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    Thanks for your support ADSB.

For your information we have had about 2600 downloads of the PRO app. We get about 3 euro for every download. 3x2600=7.800 euros.

That covers the cost of the developer of the app including 2 updates (6.200 euros).
    Besides that we have bought 2 servers (DELL POWEREDGE R710 2U, 6.500 euros each).
    We are paying about 800 euros per month for hosting the servers and the traffic (average in July 54 mbit/s)
    We have bought 12 receivers together with a computer, preamp, antenna that we have setup around Europe (cost about 1.100 euros per setup).
    Besides that we have invested over 3.000 hours of time in making the webpage (HTML+PHP+MSQL), creating and updating lots of database (2.000 airports, 17.500 airplanes, 24.500 routes).

That makes the cost of the investment about 32.400 euros + 800 euros per month + 3.000 hours of work.
    The incomes are 7.800 euros. And who has paid the rest? Me!

Maybe you should get some facts about how much the costs are to run such kind of page, before you start accusing me of making money on it.

Right now the forums is being spammed by users requesting for an Android app. Who will pay the salary of the person making the app?

Leave a comment:

• LN-MOW
    replied
    Jeez ..... Take a chill pill! Even though the site is free, Mike and his crew has expenses on webhosting, development etc etc ... If the app is the way he can recoup his costs, it is fine with me! Our hobby is not exactly mainstream, and I would seriously doubt that he makes enough on the app to even cover his costs. But if he does make a little money from provoding the great free service that he does, it's deserved!

Leave a comment:

• ADSB
    replied
    Your app should be free Mike , why should contributers share their hard earned data with your website ? so you can turn around make money with their own data on your apple app your raking in...... you leech.

make the app free thats what you can do Mike or contributers can just turn off their boxes so Mike can look at a blank google map screen he deserves.

You told me a few months ago the success of your business was because it was free for people to use ?? eat your words there.....

USERS SHOULD GET PAID FOR CONTRIBUTING CAUSE MIKES GETTING PAID VERY WELL FROM APPLE. SHOULD I TELL YOUR USERS HOW MUCH YOU MADE MIKE????
    Last edited by ADSB; 2010-08-26, 11:38.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Do Data Contributors Get Discounts On The iPhone Apps

I was wondering if the contributors of data to this service get any discount on the iPhone apps or something similar. The data coming from those contributing does not come for free considering the cost of the equipment and a proper antenna setup. It's not at all an unreasonable expectation, especially as this site and corresponding apps are designed to generate some revenue.

Thanks
    Last edited by Falcon; 2010-08-20, 06:57.
Working...
X