Please disable maps for the historical data - crashes PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please disable maps for the historical data - crashes PC

Hi can admin please disable the maps automatically displaying for the historical data look-up. The previous data page worked just fine and had clickable maps for those that wanted to view the old track, but this new version gives the user no choice and for anyone without a very fast internet connection and modern PC this causes the PC to crash because it takes too long to try to load the data. I have waited over 5 mins for maps to load but they don't and I don't want to see them anyway.

At the very least please allow the maps to be toggleable or create an option in the UCP to set maps to "off" for all areas of the site. It is unfair to "force" your users into viewing heavy bandwidth and CPU intensive maps and it essentially renders this site unusable.

Thanks.

Hi Rik.

I have done some checks and CPU usage is 2% for viewing the Map with the Playback paused (By default it is paused.), then if click play it goes to about 14% and then settles to about 4% when the Playback is in use.
    Bandwidth is less than 1%.

You can disable the Playback Map by clicking on the 'X' on the speed adjuster, the CPU usage then drops to 1-2% as there are no aircraft on the Map.

You could have had problems like me with this feature as i have been using this and the main Flightradar24 Map all day and have noticed that everything has been taking a long to load or sometimes not even load at all. (It seems to be working ok now).

I think if you try it again you will find the New Database layout works fine.

Mike / Speedbird
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
      Hi Rik.

I have done some checks and CPU usage is 2% for viewing the Map with the Playback paused (By default it is paused.), then if click play it goes to about 14% and then settles to about 4% when the Playback is in use.
      Bandwidth is less than 1%.

You can disable the Playback Map by clicking on the 'X' on the speed adjuster, the CPU usage then drops to 1-2% as there are no aircraft on the Map.

You could have had problems like me with this feature as i have been using this and the main Flightradar24 Map all day and have noticed that everything has been taking a long to load or sometimes not even load at all. (It seems to be working ok now).

I think if you try it again you will find the New Database layout works fine.

Mike / Speedbird
      Mike,

With the greatest of respect you seem to be forgetting that not everyone is running the latest i7 with a gazillion gigs of RAM and a 100 meg connection as you clearly are if you are only consuming 1% of your CPU with the maps running. Not all of us can afford the latest high end spec. I am running a single core AMD machine which is roughly equivalent to an old pentium 4 and only 1 gig of RAM. When the maps are loading (and loaded) my CPU is nearly off the dial at 98% and totally locks up the PC until the map has finished loading. Your suggestion to click the x to stop the map is appreciated but again you are forgetting that there is no x to click until the map has loaded, by which time it is too late.

I am sure that you are loving your new design skills and the site looks very pretty with the maps embedded in the pages, but the reality is that it's a resource hog from hell and has absolutely no consideration for its users. I would like to ask you what was wrong with the old data pages where one could specifically click on a link if they wanted to see the track of a historic flight? That worked absolutely fine and gave users with lower end machines the choice of being able to view the track if they wanted whilst still presenting the data for which they'd asked. As I mentioned in my OP, you are now not giving users any choice in the matter and have basically rendered your entire site useless and unusable to those of us that do not have high end machines. Even this forum sends the CPU sky high and virtually locks up the machine whilst all the frames are trying to load but this is a known vbulletin issue anyway.

Once again I'd like to request that the issue is addressed and something changed so the maps can be disabled permanently either via the UCP or some other way, or at least PRIOR to them loading.

Thanks.

Comment

Rik, what browser are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by jakob View Post
          Rik, what browser are you using?
          I use Opera, Chrome and Firefox as some sites work better depending on the browser. However there is little to choose between them here. Firefox is without a doubt the slowest and consumes 100% CPU with Chrome and Opera tied using a fraction less.

@ Mike, no comments then?

Comment

Working...
          X