Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank B
    replied
    I can't find one at the moment, but I watched a plane flying from Copenhagen to Gothenburg in Sweden, which was due north all the way, and it constantly flipped between 359 and 0 deg, resulting in question mark and the speed being set to zero too.

They are not flying quite as close to north today, as they are taking off in the opposite direction from CPH airport.
    Last edited by Frank B; 2012-05-04, 07:52.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Got an example flight for this phenomenon?

This is an example of a partial squitter transponder.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

notice the Speed and Track are 0 (unknown) but the location is not.

I have also seen another that only sends the altitude every 3rd or 4th packet due to a fault.

Leave a comment:

• Frank B
    replied
    But is the heading the only thing that is used to determine if an aircaft is transmitting valid data? If the heading is zero and the speed is non-zero for instance, then the plane must be going north. Only if every piece of data transmitted is zero should the transponder be out of order.

The speed does get set to zero in the left menu when a plane goes north, but that must be the Flightradar24 software that does that, because the plane must still be transmitting the correct speed. I fail to see how this cannot be destinguished from a faulty transponder where every piece of data is missing.

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    The problem is that aircraft with broken transponder are transmitting 0 as direction. So 0 = unknown direction. The problem with aircraft heading north not so big as most aircraft transmit 360 degrees when going north.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    I doubt there is much that can be done about that. When ADSB traffic without full squitter information is being sent, the system has to show the missing data as unknown. As a result, the default from receivers is '0' for each record.

Theres no way of telling if the aircraft is not sending this, or going true magnetic north

Leave a comment:

• Frank B
    started a topic Bug with planes heading north

Bug with planes heading north

When an aircraft has the heading 0 deg, it shows a question mark on the map, and the speed is zero. A plane heading north, flipping between 359 and 0 deg, keeps switching between an aircraft and a question mark.
Working...
X