Prestwick airport, Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestwick airport, Scotland

Can anybody explain in laymans terms if possible why I see nothing coming or going from Prestwick please?

Originally posted by johnnyecosse View Post
    Can anybody explain in laymans terms if possible why I see nothing coming or going from Prestwick please?
    Hi.

I have just checked and the nearest Radar to Prestwick is Glasgow.
    Because there is lots of mountains between Glasgow and Prestwick you will not be able to see aircraft below about 12,000 ft.

Mike / Speedbird
    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2012-01-20, 18:50.
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Thanks Mike, There's no mountains as such between Glasgow and Prestwick but as both are at sea level there certainly is higher ground between them (but only a few hundred feet I'd guess) Also if that's the case then shouldn't I see planes approaching and taking off whilst they are above 12000ft? There's nothing tracking to or from Prestwick at all. New to this - but quite hooked already. Cheers.

Comment

Hi, I have done some checks and found aircraft going in and out of Prestwick.

Ryanair approaching Prestwick

Ryanair departing Prestwick

Cargolux approaching Prestwick

Cargolux departing Prestwick, note the trail joins up with arrival trail which is its last known position before landing.

The radar (EGPF4) that feeds Flightradar24 from the Glasgow area looks like it is somewhere near Dumbarton.
        If you watch aircraft approaching from the east of Glasgow you will notice that they are being picked up by the radar near Edinburgh (EGPH), the aircraft don't move until they are right next to Glasgow airport and then jump all of a sudden because they have just been picked up by radar (EGGF4).

Because of the hills to the east of Dumbarton the signal is being blocked for approaching aircraft.

If you watch aircraft in the area you will notice this radar has other blind spots including Prestwick.
        Last edited by speedbird1960; 2012-01-21, 02:46.

Comment

Excellent work. I might just need to watch a little bit closer from now on. Cheers Mike.

Comment

I'm now feeding data into Flightradar24 and Prestwick is covered down to near ground level.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcr View Post
              I'm now feeding data into Flightradar24 and Prestwick is covered down to near ground level.
              Hi Paul.

Welcome to the Forum.
              Thanks for feeding Flightradar24, now we be able to see the nice Heavies and Mil coming and going.

Mike / Speedbird

Comment

Working...
              X