Data source switching when aircraft land at DTW, flight info lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data source switching when aircraft land at DTW, flight info lost

When flights bound for DTW approach Detroit, the data source is ADS-B and they have the full trail from their origin as you'd expect (pic 1). As soon as they touch down though, the data source switches to US/Canada Radar and before they get to the terminal the flight loses the trail from the origin as well as the origin/destination info (pic 2). When flights depart, this switch happens in reverse (radar -> ADS-B), but the trail and destination info stays associated with the flight when this happens (pics 3&4).

This is something I've only noticed happening at DTW, I haven't been able to find another airport that has this issue as most seem to be consistently pulling from ADS-B without switching sources.

So I have two questions and thought I'd see if anyone here has any thoughts:
    1. Could there be an issue in the FlightRadar24 tracking that's causing this info loss when the data source switches from ADS-B to radar but not the other way around?
    2. Out of curiosity, why would the data source switch to radar just when flights land at an airport?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

My guess is there's inadequate ADS-B ground coverage at DTW. No local receiver.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
    X