Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inquiry: Altitude filter settings to monitor landing/departing planes only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquiry: Altitude filter settings to monitor landing/departing planes only?

What are the optimal altitude filter settings, if one wants to mainly monitor landing/departing planes?

Or in other words:
    • What are the typical travel altitudes for short/mid/long distance flights?
    • How many kilometres before arrival does descent start?
    • How quickly does a plane climb to its traveling altitude?

Please make your statements relative to the airport's altitude, so that I can apply this knowledge to both alpine and sea level airports. Thanks!

I searched the forums for "filter", "altitude" and similar terms, but found nothing so far.
    I know very little about aviation, but recently I got a very enthusiastic FR24 user!
    Help appreciated!

I'm not a pilot, but I'll try to answer as far as my knowledge goes.

Modern jet planes will climb as high as they can/are allowed by ATC even on short hops. This in order for the engines to be as efficient and fuel economic as possible. The colder it is outside, the more the air expands when heated and the more trust you get.
    For a comfortable descend I think 10-15 minutes before landing would be a good place to start. But then again, it all depends on ATC. Landing planes typically pass the outer marker at around 3000 feet about 8-9 NM from the runway. But that also depends on the location of the runway and the surrounding topography.
    Departing planes climb, as mentioned above, as fast as they safely can to their cruise altitude. But their actual climb rate will vary depending on type of aircraft, type of engines and takeoff weight. Something between 1500 - 2500 feet pr minute would be my guess, but any pilots out there, feel free to correct me. :O)

(ATC=Air Traffic Control NM=Nautical Miles=1.852 km=1.1508 miles)

Comment

Working...
    X