Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivian
    replied
    Yeah, kinda hard to track sometimes as if there is a large open water or out of range timeout they don't link the previous paths (as if it was a new flight)

There may be some with super height and not the right icon or unknown details too. But often spotted by the callsign sent.

They have a bunch of reserved ADSB addresses and can re-use them, but with different numbering. So I think so far they have put them in the dbase as just 'loon' or HBAL to cover. But historic stuff might need to be based on time playback

Leave a comment:

• Davestats
    replied
    Well, after writing the previous post I went to the Live Air Traffic screen and there was HBAL227 sitting just NW of Evansville. By searching for "HBAL", I located several others. This was great! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Davestats
    replied
    Thanks, Oblivian. Your explanation makes me feel better about the fact I actually saw this. Now, how can I retrieve the display of the flight track when I do not know the date and time I saw it? I tried searching for "loon" and got only South American flights from previous years.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Same thing. Different launch sites around the world to test sir current

Google loons

Leave a comment:

• Davestats
    started a topic Balloon over Kentucky

Balloon over Kentucky

I may be delusional but last week I opened Flightradar24 to my area view and there was a round symbol that I think said "BALL" at 60,000 feet around 50 miles SW of SDF. Its track showed that it had originated around West Virginia, had moved SW , then West, and then NW. I should have taken a screenshot but did not. I know there is a project to use balloons to provide internet to areas without it but I believe they are being used in South America and/or Africa. I told someone about this yesterday and was met with incredulity so I am hoping someone can explain what I saw.
Working...
X