Balloon over Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balloon over Kentucky

I may be delusional but last week I opened Flightradar24 to my area view and there was a round symbol that I think said "BALL" at 60,000 feet around 50 miles SW of SDF. Its track showed that it had originated around West Virginia, had moved SW , then West, and then NW. I should have taken a screenshot but did not. I know there is a project to use balloons to provide internet to areas without it but I believe they are being used in South America and/or Africa. I told someone about this yesterday and was met with incredulity so I am hoping someone can explain what I saw.

Same thing. Different launch sites around the world to test sir current

Google loons
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks, Oblivian. Your explanation makes me feel better about the fact I actually saw this. Now, how can I retrieve the display of the flight track when I do not know the date and time I saw it? I tried searching for "loon" and got only South American flights from previous years.

Comment

Well, after writing the previous post I went to the Live Air Traffic screen and there was HBAL227 sitting just NW of Evansville. By searching for "HBAL", I located several others. This was great! Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, kinda hard to track sometimes as if there is a large open water or out of range timeout they don't link the previous paths (as if it was a new flight)

There may be some with super height and not the right icon or unknown details too. But often spotted by the callsign sent.

They have a bunch of reserved ADSB addresses and can re-use them, but with different numbering. So I think so far they have put them in the dbase as just 'loon' or HBAL to cover. But historic stuff might need to be based on time playback
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
          X