No longer accurately showing my station as an ADS-B receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No longer accurately showing my station as an ADS-B receiver

About two weeks ago my receiver, T-KHLN1, essentially stopped appearing in the random list of receivers in the ADS-B section for an aircraft. My hardware is a Raspberry Pi with an ADS-B Dongle and the exact antenna Flightradar24 recommends running continuously since January 2019. The antenna is an attic mount but still detects transmissions over 100 miles away.
    KHLN1 would always appear in the cycle of receivers presented in that list for aircraft in my 100 mile range and often further. My observation over the last two weeks is that only those stations with a long reach now appear in that display, all the way from Canada to Idaho, for example. It's always just the same four or five stations rather than the eight to ten that would normally appear in the cycled list.
    My account/feed-stats/ page still shows the same number of hits/positions as before, so my data is being received just not being acknowledged in the ADS-B display.
    My conclusion is "Receiver code displayed is randomly chosen from all receivers currently seeing the aircraft." is not really random anymore.
    Anyone else notice this change, or have any solutions?

Four months later I can report that my receiver station being displayed in the random list has noticeably improved. Started to appear more frequently when far fewer active flights occurred at the beginning of the coronavirus controls. Wondered if the "problem" would return when flights resumed, but that's not the case. Pleased to see it works as before. Randomness at times can even have what appears to be non-random patterns, just seemed strange when it occurred for a couple weeks.

Comment

This is related to my topic so posting a reply to it rather than creating a new post. I knew about the difference between an "F-" and a "T-" radar station but it appears there may be a difference in the priority of reporting a station in the "Data source - ADS-B" section on the Flightradar24 website. With my Raspberry Pi setup I was assigned T-KHLN1. F-KHLN1 also exists. The "Data source - ADS-B" section for an aircraft viewed on the Flightradar24 website always shows F-KHLN1 as one of the stations currently seeing the aircraft. In 18 months of continuously operating T-KHLN1 I have never seen it displayed as seeing an aircraft. The Raspberry Pi implementation supplied by FR24 does allow one to see a list of aircraft data being uploaded to FR24 and typically that list is 10 to 15 entries long. Not a big deal, but was wondering if T-KHLN1 never appears because F-KHLN1 exists with real FR24 hardware?

Comment

The answer is always the same.

Flat out denial. And advise to ignore what radar is showing as it's 'random'

They've wanted to remove it from early on totally to stop people wondering/asking. But there will be cries if they did by those who do appear

Can't win em all.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
        X