Any delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any delay?

I wonder if there is some delay when a plane is shown above my house on the radarmap? Or is there any delay in the system som that a plane will have another position when shown on ur map?

it should be live But there is now a 20 second lag from screen updates from Our Real time Aircraft movments update on the " online " version

its now every 20 seconds it use to be 10 seconds hope we can have it back to adjustable

Comment

It seems pretty much perfect to me - maybe just a few seconds of delay. I get a lot of high altitude flights across my city (Newcastle upon Tyne) and when I see an aircraft on the map passing over, if the weather is clear I can look out of the window and see the vapour trail right where it should be on the map. If the weather is cloudy, I can step outside of the house and hear the faint sound of the aircraft passing by 6 or 7 miles above me.

My only problem is that quite often, the coverage around here is affected by a receiver being switched off. There are certainly times when I can see and hear planes going over and they are not showing up on the screen.

Also, no local air traffic shows on Flightradar24 until the planes are at about 18000 feet. This suggests that the nearest station to me is some distance away. I suspect from watching the screen, that the nearest may be in Scotland and Yorkshire - maybe fifty to sixty miles from here. They even disappear sometimes before they get here and then reappear when maybe a Scottish receiver picks them up. Either that, or they have indoor antennas or a difficult location to receive from, such as a hollow, or one surrounded by tall buildings.

It would be good to know where the ground stations are. On Weather Underground which hosts the data from personal weather stations, you can see the locations on a map AND EVEN send messages to the station owner.
      Last edited by evilV; 2010-05-03, 19:07.

Comment

Delay

Originally posted by evilV View Post
        It seems pretty much perfect to me - maybe just a few seconds of delay. I get a lot of high altitude flights across my city (Newcastle upon Tyne) and when I see an aircraft on the map passing over, if the weather is clear I can look out of the window and see the vapour trail right where it should be on the map. If the weather is cloudy, I can step outside of the house and hear the faint sound of the aircraft passing by 6 or 7 miles above me.

My only problem is that quite often, the coverage around here is affected by a receiver being switched off. There are certainly times when I can see and hear planes going over and they are not showing up on the screen.

Also, no local air traffic shows on Flightradar24 until the planes are at about 18000 feet. This suggests that the nearest station to me is some distance away. I suspect from watching the screen, that the nearest may be in Scotland and Yorkshire - maybe fifty to sixty miles from here. They even disappear sometimes before they get here and then reappear when maybe a Scottish receiver picks them up. Either that, or they have indoor antennas or a difficult location to receive from, such as a hollow, or one surrounded by tall buildings.

It would be good to know where the ground stations are. On Weather Underground which hosts the data from personal weather stations, you can see the locations on a map AND EVEN send messages to the station owner.

There would seem to be a 5 or 6 min delay. Just watched an a/c leave Aberdeen. A/C takes about 1 min to get to a position where I can see it after takeoff. The a/c didn't show up on its flight track till about 5-6 mins after on Flightradar.
        T-EGPD7

Comment

Originally posted by evilV View Post

I get the same thing mate, being from Newcaslte myselft I get similar issues. I think there's a reciever up in Blyth, but still I loose them below FL180.

Where in Newcasltle do you live?

Thanks

Comment

I live in NE7

Not far from the Freeman Hospital. It would be a good location for a receiver, about 70mtres asl.

Also, I'm not convinced that the situation re coverage is always the same. Maybe someone switches on at times and off at others. I think if I did set up a station, I might go the home construction route. You've probably seen that there are kits, but they are not for the inexpert, and that's why I haven't jumped into that pool yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelus1971 View Post
              There would seem to be a 5 or 6 min delay. Just watched an a/c leave Aberdeen. A/C takes about 1 min to get to a position where I can see it after takeoff. The a/c didn't show up on its flight track till about 5-6 mins after on Flightradar.
              That could be because your nearest receiver is a lot further out from the airport than you are. You can see the plane, but his antenna can't until it gets higher for five or six minutes. Remember the curvature of the earth hides things over the horizon from you. The further away that receiver is, the higher the plane needs to get for its data to be received.

I'm pretty sure I see aircraft in real time. If I enlarge the FL24 map of my home location, I can look out of the window and see the contrails more or less exactly when I ought to see them from the plane's indicated position on the map.

Comment

yeah I'm south of the tyne and I face out towards the west, it means I'd be ideal for A/c approaching 07, but the whole of the east coast is behind me and there's a hill behind me. Freeman would be an ideal spot (apart from right next to the airport I suppose haha)

Yeah it's a financial issue for me otherwise I'd be up for doing it.

You visit the airport often?

Comment

Originally posted by Romeo Hotel View Post

You visit the airport often?
                  Only to go places.

Comment

Saying earlier about my 5 -6 min delay, I watched a regular BA flight come into ABZ and its track was as live as you could want - no delay there. Maybe it equals out after a few miles and once the server catches up. Followed the "delay" down the country at various stages and it did seem to "jump" as it passed through different receiving stations. I suppose it would depend on them as much as anything.

I lost sight of the plane at 1900ft doing 138kts about 1 min from the airport which was a lot lower than its outboard track - takeoff and landing were still the same direction - and it tracked to the airport fine.
                    T-EGPD7

Comment

The data on Flightradar24.com is live without any delays, apart from the technical delay of about 20-30 seconds when handling and sending the data from receiver to server, and server to client.

If someone has seen a delay of 5 minutes it must be the local receiver that is using old Basestation software with 5 min delay on it's output data.

Comment

But wouldn't that make it delay for both Arriving & Departing flights and not jst the departing ones? Delay seen this morning on Departing flight only - Arriving was fine.
                        T-EGPD7

Comment

You call it a departure or arrivle, for the server it's just airplanes. The server has no idea if it's an departure, arrivle, go around, diversion or testflight. All flights are handled in the same way, just as I wrote in my previous post.

Comment

Yes, I know. But that still doesn't explain why only departures are delayed and not arrivals, like I said in my previous post. Exactly same thing happened today. There is obviously a problem somewhere.
                            T-EGPD7

Comment

It's just not possible. There is no way to delay data for one single flight.

Comment

Working...
                              X