This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO DATABASE UPDATING BEING DONE

Can we have an update from the admins on whether to bother posting new ones and corrections as there no longer appear to be any active database editors. Still no updates for 3 weeks!

Try using the new tool or the other option(Contact us link) on the bottom of that blog page.
    You can see how the new database tool works on this page
    ✈ Take a closer look at Expanding the Flightradar24 Database and How You Can Help, learn more about flight tracking and get the latest aviation news with Flightradar24.
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

To be honest they have possibly been all put off by the comments made toward them when errors are produced etc recently where people outright make statements like they could do it better and so on.

Being volunteers and not dedicated staff it is only processed during their own free time. And the number of them able to support doing so appears to have decreased recently

It also makes it very hard when airframes may change in quick succession. What is posted 1 week may change the next if only an intrim adjustment or another user may paste different info.. to which do you believe without extensive time put into investigation to support the information provided... And looking at the thread there has been a LOT of submissions recently

Before anyone else puts their hand up to volunteer, I don't think it is as simple as an OK. As (I believe) it quite an unrestricted database back end access and specific knowledge of the editor. Which seems to have the ability to import CSVs and such from additional providers which can skew user submitted data if there are slight errors

For this reason I started the thread to point out the fleetlist verification sites as people often have their own thoughts on the correct naming convention to use (ICAO vs IATA). And who should be credited as the operator when sub-let or leased with different branding and so on

With the new web-submission form we can only but surmise the verification by FR24 staff of those may also hinder user provided changes being over-ridden
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        (1) To be honest they have possibly been all put off by the comments made toward them when errors are produced etc recently where people outright make statements like they could do it better and so on.

(2) Being volunteers and not dedicated staff it is only processed during their own free time. And the number of them able to support doing so appears to have decreased recently

(3) It also makes it very hard when airframes may change in quick succession. What is posted 1 week may change the next if only an intrim adjustment or another user may paste different info.. to which do you believe without extensive time put into investigation to support the information provided... And looking at the thread there has been a LOT of submissions recently

(4) Before anyone else puts their hand up to volunteer, I don't think it is as simple as an OK. As (I believe) it quite an unrestricted database back end access and specific knowledge of the editor. Which seems to have the ability to import CSVs and such from additional providers which can skew user submitted data if there are slight errors

(5) For this reason I started the thread to point out the fleetlist verification sites as people often have their own thoughts on the correct naming convention to use (ICAO vs IATA). And who should be credited as the operator when sub-let or leased with different branding and so on

(6) With the new web-submission form we can only but surmise the verification by FR24 staff of those may also hinder user provided changes being over-ridden
        1. I have not seen any comments like that and I actively follow both threads. There have been a couple of notable occasions where info entered into the database has been blatantly wrong and 5 seconds making a quick proof of the info beforehand would have discovered. If you are going to volunteer to do a job then it needs to be done right and in 99.9% of cases the editor(s) do a fantastic job.

Let's also not forget that a number of good, reliable data contributors were lost due to the bad attitude and uncalled for remarks posted by your old database editor 'Arion' and his very selective editing in ignoring updates sent by certain contributors. Since he was removed from service a number of contributors have come back onboard which probably plays a part in the high number of submissions recently.

2. In that case the owners should look at either recruiting someone to do the job on a part or full-time basis or ask for volunteers. It should not be the case that when their only active database editor goes on a long vacation (as I have discovered) that the site grinds to a halt as there is no-one else to process the updates and changes until they return.

3. As above : more editors needed.

4. I have seen the database input form that the editors use for new frames. It is a standard form that you'd find on any SQL database and the layout we post in the 'new additions' thread is pretty much a straight copy and paste into the database form. As I understand it (I could be wrong) there is no back-end access and the form is the only access to the database that the volunteer editors have. They are not able to make any changes to blocked bizjets/military/government entries and it must be referred to the admins to do.

5. The short-term lease situation is a bit tricky, I agree. However minor changes like this (same for special liveries) should be way down the priority ladder if there is already a backlog of "proper" submissions to do. Someone whining that a leased Titan A320 isn't showing up in his Jet2 filter is a good definition of a first world problem. I am of the opinion that the entire Titan, Avion Express and SmartLynx fleets should remain permanently as such and not be changed to whichever airline they happen to be on hire to this week. That's a full-time job on its own trying to keep up with those and is a waste of limited resources.

6. I understand that the web-form submissions still have to be screened by a database editor first before being added - same as what happens with the forum submissions, just that we don't see them. Personally I think the web-form complicates matters and should be removed. There are many flaws with it as forum member 'nomad' has previously documented. Apart from the well-known limitations with some of the fields, there is the problem of it potentially increasing the workload for the editors as one person may submit xyz through the form but then someone else comes along and submits abc - how do you know which is correct? Who is the arbiter of that? You could waste hours looking into it, meanwhile the backlog gets even bigger. At least if all submissions had to be posted on the forum then there are many pairs of experienced eyes on the look-out for duff info and they would essentially get screened for free before reaching the database. I don't see a downside to be honest.

To address the real issue at hand here (#2 above) why not ask forum members nomad and 40612 if they would like to help maintaining the database? I reckon both would be happy to help on a voluntary basis and given the current state of things it would be in your interests too. Both have proved themselves to be reliable contributors - Nomad in particular for the thankless and tedious task of trying to keep on top of all the tin and gliders, but 40612 has proved his worth on countless occasions "screening" for general mistakes and errors in submitted data by others.

T.

Comment

To be clear.. I don't have access or any sway in these matters. Just pointing out some long time observations your explanation notes for 6 is pretty much what I fear cause conflict issues. Sheer numbers are hard to keep on top of when there's duplicate posts (usually new members not back checking)

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
            Try using the new tool or the other option(Contact us link) on the bottom of that blog page.
            This is just an alternative option to report errors or missing data. Whichever method is employed, the tool or posts on this forum, someone has to review the submitted data and edit the database.

I can understand if volunteer editors become disheartened by negative comments, not that I've noticed them, but this is an essential function for any aircraft tracking service. In fact, database updates is 99% of the activity on the AirNav forum.

If volunteers are no longer editing the database, who is? Surely FR24 needs to address this as a matter of urgency? Otherwise the value of the product soon starts to erode. Or at least let us know what's happening, or the "volunteer notifiers" will stop posting. And they're just as invaluable as editors.
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian
              Please read this blog post again.
              Thank you but I'm fully aware of what it says. The point is, whatever method is used to report database edits, someone needs to review them and update the database.

I never suggested the "tool" replaced the forum posts.
              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

They do have the TEAM to handle the database updates.
                Still doesn't explain:

Originally posted by Tyke's Aero blog View Post
                Can we have an update from the admins on whether to bother posting new ones and corrections as there no longer appear to be any active database editors. Still no updates for 3 weeks!
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Anmer,
                  Please read the above post #4 again.
                  Thread "drift".

This topic is about the lack of database updates (or replies to the post by FR24). Mike posted elsewhere today so there's definitely someone manning the "shop" at FR24,

I was merely pointing out that your suggestion would make little difference if there were no database editors. Good to see you now agree.
                  Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

@ Oblivian, could you please speak to the administrators and have them respond to this thread please. No updates for nearly ONE FULL MONTH now. Ridiculous on a site of this size.

Comment

@ Oblivian, could you please speak to the administrators and have them respond to this thread please. No updates for nearly ONE FULL MONTH now. Ridiculous on a site of this size.
                      I only have edit/ban access

No other special privileges

That is why they request emails to support

Comment

That's not true Tyke.
                        In the past month FR24 made lots of changes to the database per that FR24 Blog.
                        Please have some respect to the FR24 Team updating the database in the past month.

I'm guessing some updates can take little longer to get added to the database.

I don't see the need to shout aka your thread title.
                        "Typing messages in all caps became closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behavior, and may be considered rude."

Maybe that's why FR24 staff didn't respond to this thread.
                        Are you an admin or is your name Oblivian? No. If I want your opinion I shall ask for it. Until then please be quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          I only have edit/ban access

No other special privileges

That is why they request emails to support
                          OK but I'm having a hard time believing that as chief moderator you do not have a direct channel with the site owners.....

They ask for people to send emails rather than post on the forum so that they can be ignored! I have sent several emails to the support email address about this issue (dated May 5 and May 9) and both have been completely ignored. I know this for a fact because I have sent a support request on another matter from a different address and that was responded to within ONE HOUR. Also by your own admission, site administrator Mike was active on the forum less than 24 hours ago.

Should their lack of response and avoidance of the subject be taken as proof that they do not have any database editors anymore? It would seem so. The topic was raised 1 week ago and post #9420 was the last one to be added into the database. Today I check again and sure enough posts #9421 onwards have all been completely ignored. What is the point of contributors sending in data if the owners are simply going to ignore it and not enter it into the database? Please remember that this site is operated as a business with paying customers who expect to receive the service they are paying for, not to see a full screen of random ICAO24 codes with no other info.

Comment

OK but I'm having a hard time believing that as chief moderator you do not have a direct channel with the site owners.....

They ask for people to send emails rather than post on the forum so that they can be ignored! I have sent several emails to the support email address about this issue (dated May 5 and May 9) and both have been completely ignored. I know this for a fact because I have sent a support request on another matter from a different address and that was responded to within ONE HOUR. Also by your own admission, site administrator Mike was active on the forum less than 24 hours ago.

Should their lack of response and avoidance of the subject be taken as proof that they do not have any database editors anymore? It would seem so. The topic was raised 1 week ago and post #9420 was the last one to be added into the database. Today I check again and sure enough posts #9421 onwards have all been completely ignored. What is the point of contributors sending in data if the owners are simply going to ignore it and not enter it into the database? Please remember that this site is operated as a business with paying customers who expect to receive the service they are paying for, not to see a full screen of random ICAO24 codes with no other info.
                            *shrug*

Guess is as good as mine

Not chief, just most active of them.

Comment

I don't know the source of this claim, but there are 50-200 new aircraft added and 100-500 corrections made in the aircraft database, every day. Today 2 new airports, 4 new airlines and more than 40 airline logos have been updated as well. Aircraft database now contains 1075111 rows.

Comment

Working...
                              X