How to Install dump1090-mutability on RPi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Captain

After yet another SD card failure I've done another re-build. At least I am getting quicker at the process! (and I'm going to take a full image of this completed install this time)
    I'm wondering how (or If) I can add 2 more range circles to my map. I'd like 250nm and 300nm as many of my received aircraft are in that range.
    Running Buster Lite (and Full) Pi1, Pi2 and Pi3B+

Help would be much appreciated
    EGSY1

Comment

• Edit /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js

You should find around line 100 something like this:
      Code:
      SiteCircles = true; // true to show circles (only shown if the center marker is shown)
      // In miles, nautical miles, or km (depending settings value 'DisplayUnits')
      SiteCirclesDistances = new Array(100,150,200,250);
      Should be self explanatory what you need to change.

If you use at the local interface often, consider trying this: https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090#tar1090

For all details (like indicated air speed and such extended data) to be shown, you'll need dump1090-fa though.
      Oh it also depends if the ATC radar in your area queries aircraft for such details, otherwise they can't be shown.

Comment

• Many thanks for that rapid reply, exactly what I was looking for.

EGYSY1

Comment

• Graphs query

I don't understand what happened here. At approximately 14:10 I did a test gain change to from -10 to 40.2 and seeing the worsening tried 49.6. That too was poor so I went back to -10. That's showing clearly in the signal level graph - just as expected. It's the "ADS-B Message Rate" chart that puzzles me. The wavy nature of the plot is completely different to what it was before the tests. (The reboot at 16:50 is unrelated)

EGSY1
          Attached Files

Comment

• No clue, have never seen that. Just reboot?

I'd tell you to check sudo journalctl -u dump1090-fa ... but this is mutability, i'm not really familiar with it.
            Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-11-07, 17:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
              No clue, have never seen that. Just reboot?

I'd tell you to check sudo journalctl -u dump1090-fa ... but this is mutability, i'm not really familiar with it.

Yes, tried a couple of reboots - no change.
              This particular installation is using a very old 1st generation Pi with very cheap eBay USB receiver. - one I just experiment with, so it's not a problem really. I was just intrigued.

There is this going on now as well I see.system-localhost-network_bandwidth-6h.png
              Last edited by Scroggie; 2019-11-07, 18:17.

Comment

• That's just network traffic.

Having the graph page auto refreshing alone will be some part of that.

Comment

That's just network traffic.

Having the graph page auto refreshing alone will be some part of that.

So is there a setting to change the auto updating?

Comment

• Don't leave the page open if the traffic matters to you?

It's not like it's an issue on an internal network.
                    And even over the internet, 50 kB/s is usually not an issue.

Comment

• What was strange was the sudden increase in that network traffic AFTER doing test gain changes. I hadn't got a browser running for most of the time. I think using Pi 1s is asking a lot anyway - cpu is running at 100% all the time. Christmas is coming..... Pi4?

Comment

• Disable MLAT then.
                        And maybe remove the graphs.

The recent 1.024 versions of fr24feed seem to be using more CPU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scroggie View Post
                          Christmas is coming..... Pi4?

Pi3 B+, if you dont want any headaches of heating & over temprature of CPU of Pi4
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-11-07, 23:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            Pi3 B+, if you dont want any headaches of heating & over temprature of CPU of Pi4

Yes, i've seen all about the overheating problems. I already have a Pi3B - using that to type this - and various cooling solutions for the 4 are emerging so the temptation is there.600px_200x200.jpg Mind you this seems a bit over the top! - and it's half the price of the Pi. 33 CAD
                            20191031_105819_1024x1024.jpg though this one is only 3.38 CAD
                            Last edited by Scroggie; 2019-11-07, 23:58.

Comment

• A simple fan and it's not an issue.

A passive heatsink won't help if you put it in a plastic case.
                              There are heatsinks which serve as a case though, they seem very capable.

Comment

A simple fan and it's not an issue.

A passive heatsink won't help if you put it in a plastic case.
                                There are heatsinks which serve as a case though, they seem very capable.

Some very interesting testing of Pi4 cases/cooling here:-
                                Looking at active and passively cooled cases for the Raspberry Pi 4 and their performance under various levels of load. Some cases hit thermal throttle limits very early.

Comment

Working...
                                X