X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abcd567
    replied
    Dump1090-mutability: About gain -10

Question: What does gain -10 actually mean?
    Answer: Enable the tuner AGC.

Question: So that is the same as having GAIN="agc" in /etc/default/dump1090-mutability ??
    Answer: Yes, if you look at the init script you will see that AGC is translated to -10 and if you look at the dump1090 source then you will see that -10 turns on AGC.

-10 is a special value meaning "turn on AGC" (for ADS-B, the AGC doesn't actually give auto-gain, just a high gain. Usually AGC will behave like "more gain than max")

-10 and agc are identical, they both end up passing "--gain -10" to dump1090, see the /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability script:
    Code:
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability
    #!/bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    case "x$GAIN" in
     x|xmax) ;;
     xagc) ARGS="$ARGS --gain -10" ;;
     *) ARGS="$ARGS --gain $GAIN" ;;
    esac

For regular gains, you want a positive value in the 0..50 range (nominally in dB). It will pick the closest gain step to the value you give. If you specify any negative number (other than -10), then the closest gain is 0dB: minimum gain!

AVAILABLE GAIN VALUES:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ rtl_test
    Found 1 device(s):
    0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
    Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
    Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 1 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 4 49.6
    Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
    samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
    lost at least 16 bytes
    ^CSignal caught, exiting!

User cancel, exiting...
    Samples per million lost (minimum): 0
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Configuration of FR24 feed in Post #1, STEP (11) Updated on 27/02/2017

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Updated post #1 on 24/02/2017

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by Pasajero311
    Hello good afternoon
    With the new RASPBIAN JESSIE WITH PIXEL image dated 2016-09-23
    I can not install dump1090-mutability_1.15
    Any help is good
    But it has to be it has to be with this version
    RASPBIAN JESSIE WITH PIXEL
    After reading your post, I did following:
    1) downloaded "Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL" (2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.zip).
    2) Extracted 2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.zip to get 2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.img
    3) Formatted microSD card.
    4) Wrote the PIXEL image (2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.img) on it.
    5) Inserted microSD card in RPi, powered up, expanded file system, changed password, changed time zone, and rebooted.
    6) Followed steps in post #1 of this thread, and dump1090-mutability installed WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.

Please see below the screenshot of my PIXEL with dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev:
    2016-11-26-132441_1824x984_scrot.jpg

It seems you have missed one or more of the steps, or some step did not execute properly.
    Try installation again, but first remove/purge the current install:

sudo dpkg --remove dump1090-mutability
    sudo dpkg --purge dump1090-mutability

Remove the installation folder
    sudo rm -rf install-dump

Now install again following the steps on page 1 post 1 of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by jcinnb
    Will do. It was impressive I must say. Especially cost effective:

Though not sure my fat fingers can deal with pushing down 8 I will give it a try!
    Yes, cost effective and easy. No special parts or connectors.

I think we better discuss ground plane antenna in it's relevant thread, link given below:

Why Antennas Have Ground Plane?

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by jcinnb
    Capt: in your post 41 you provide steps for installing both feeders. EVERYWHERE I have found this referenced, the PiAware is always listed first, then FR24.

Does the order matter, I have FR running, and now want to expand? Thank you so much for sorting me out on this. I am just concerned to risk what I have now.
    1)The order of feeders is NOT important. If I have always listed piaware first, this is just a matter of habit.

2)The important thing for headache-free install is that dump1090-mutability is installed BEFORE any data feeders are installed. Once dump1090-mutability is present, the data feeders installation detects it and does not install/use their own dump1090.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    @jcinnb:
    Modified procedure in Post #10 Page 1.
    Now 4 colors available for Terrain Limit Rings, so up to 4 rings is ok now.

If you have created a backup orig-html of folder html & its files, then
    (1) Delete already modified file script.js in folder html.
    (2) Copy script.js from backup folder orig-html to html folder.
    (3) Do the modifications as a fresh case.

Code:
    cd ~
    cd /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/
    sudo rm html/script.js
    sudo cp orig-html/script.js html/script.js
    cd html
    sudo nano script.html

Leave a comment:

• Graeme2812
    replied
    I'd just like to say a big thank you to all, especially abcd567, for the postings and support on this forum. Took me three days to successfully install and configure Dump1090 and FR24 feeder on my Pi but now it is done and all seems to be working well.

Top Newbie Tip: Run each line of code individually, examine the output, and avoid multiple line executions at a time!

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    @Avesec:
    If you have clean install of Jessie and dump1090-mutability, then follow procedure given below for a conflict free install.

(1) Piaware data feeder installation

Go to this page:
    Setup PiAware to directly feed live ADS-B data to FlightAware via a Raspberry Pi running dump1090. Step-by-step instructions along with a link to your statistics and how to register for a free FlightAware Enterprise account.

On this page, the "Step 1 - What is needed" will install another copy of dump1090. Skip Step 1. Start from "Step 2 - Download and Install PiAware" which will install piaware data feeder only.

(2) Flightradar24 feeder installation
    Go to this page:
    The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

On this page you will find a bash script. Run this script. It will detect presence of dump1090-mutability, and will not install any conflicting copies.

The bash script is
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-08-04, 02:56.

Leave a comment:

• Avsec
    replied
    Originally posted by abcd567
    Dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev can be installed on both of these.

Both these already have dump1090. The reason to remove dump1090/dump1090-mutability (standard version) and install dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev is because v1.15~dev is more efficient and functional than dump1090/dump1090-mutability (standard version).

To uninstall/remove dump1090 from piaware or flightradar24 installation, see Step 3 in the procedure (First post on page 1)

3) REMOVE/UNINSTALL DUMP1090 AND DUMP1090-MUTABILITY IF THESE ARE ALREADY INSTALLED, SO AS TO HAVE A CONFLICT FREE INSTALLATION.
    Question to the Captain abcd567 if I may -

I have gone down a different route to the above. Restarted from scratch and reformed the SD card, upgraded to Jessie then a fresh installed of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev. All going swimmingly.

Now would like to add PiAware and FR24 but worried, that as both these programs use the standard dump1090 software, that there maybe a conflict with the already installed dump1090-mutability v1.15. Have done a search of the various forums but cannot find any discussion if this would be the case.

Can I just go ahead with the installation of PiAware and FR24 and trust that that the presence of dump1090-mutability v1.15 will override/stop the older dump1090 software being installed?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    @paulus0031

usb_claim_interface error -6
    Error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy

Dump1090 starts when Pi is booted, and was already running (map shows the planes), and was using DVB-T (RTLSDR device).

When you gave command
    /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability
    you tried to start 2nd instance of dump1090, and since the dvb-t rtlsdr device was already in use by first instance of dump1090, you got error message.

You dont need to start dum1090 manually. It starts automatically when you boot the Pi. If you want to check its status, restart or stop it, use following commands:

Code:
    sudo service dump1090-mutability status

sudo service dump1090-mutability restart

sudo service dump1090-mutability stop
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-07-31, 22:50.

Leave a comment:

• paulus0031
    replied
    Wow, thanks for your very quick reply! Will give it an go tomorrow.

Another issue that I now encounter is that my fr24feeder seems to be offline (i think it may have started after a reboot?)

Maybe it is in the feeder settings myip:8754 that I made a faulty reference to the dump1090-mutability file?
    I now refer to /run/dump1090-mutability. I also tried /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability but none of those seem to do the trick.
    It seems logical to me that the feeder must obtain it's data from the dump1090-mutability?

And this is what is see when I SSH into the Pi2:
    ===========================================
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability
    Fri Jul 29 20:42:02 2016 CEST dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev starting up.
    Using sample converter: UC8, integer/table path
    Found 1 device(s):
    0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
    usb_claim_interface error -6
    Error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy
    ===========================================

When I go to myip/dump1090/gmap.html I do see aircraft from my antenna.

Where did I go wrong?

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    @ paulus0031

(1) To improve the dull map
    Recent changes in Google's policy resulted that dump1090-mutability has switched to OpenStreet Map. However you can add road map layer by following method:

First obtain an API Key from Bing Maps (free of charge for "basic key")
    The Bing Maps Account Center allows you to create a Bing Maps Developer Account and obtain Bing Maps API keys to use the Bing Maps AJAX Control, the Bing Maps Silverlight Control, and the Bing Maps Web Services.

now edit the file config.js
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js
    #Press Ctrl+w keys, and type BingMapsAPIKey and press enter key. 
    #The cursor will jump to line BingMapsAPIKey= null.
    You will see following in the opened file config.js
    // Provide a Bing Maps API key here to enable the Bing imagery layer.
    // You can obtain a free key (with usage limits) at
    // https://www.bingmapsportal.com/ (you need a "basic key")
    //
    // Be sure to quote your key:
    // BingMapsAPIKey = "your key here";
    //
    BingMapsAPIKey = null;
    Replace null above by your API key with " at start and end of key.
    It will look like:
    BingMapsAPIKey = "abcdefghijklmnopq";

Now reload map in your browser. Click the settings blue square at top right on map and select "Bing Roads". The map will improve from dull to nearly like Google Map.

dump1090 settings button.png....dump1090 Bing Road Layer.png....dump1090 with Bing Road Layer.jpg

(1) For heat map, please see this video:
    From a movable window in the dump1090 GUI it is possible to load a csv file and throttle the radius, opacity and intensity of the heatmap. Other features:- A...

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-07-31, 04:39.

Leave a comment:

• paulus0031
    replied
    Hello,

I'm from the Netherlands and new to this forum. Got my fr24 feeder up and running since July 19th but then saw some need things one can display with the dump1090-mutability package. For the last few days I've been experimenting and this afternoon I formatted my Pi2 SD card and re-installed everything (in the recommended order this time, first the mutability package with the heywhatsthat key and later I installed FR24Feeder from bash.

But I'm not completely satisfied

I find my gmap page a bit dull, and I mean in a way that other enthusiasts have a very need page with nice rings, but also a heatmap, range and so on.
    For example this user from Utrecht (NL)

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 18.39.32.jpg

What do I have to do to have that sort of gadgets on my dump1090 map page?
    Now, mine looks like this (don't look at the range too much, I will move the antenna to a better position when I'm done configuring.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 18.50.44.jpg

Can anyone help me with the things I have to do to see more 'gadgets'?

Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by nick223
    I'm using wheezy is that the issue?
    Thanks to Oliver Jowett (writer of dump1090-mutability), whom I consulted yesterday, and he promptly confirmed following:

"Means that there is no packaged version of librtlsdr installed. Wheezy does not provide one. You need to build a package (not just install from source) or use the one I provide from repo.mutability.co.uk"

In view of above reply, please run following additional commands to download & install package for librtlsdr-dev on Wheezy:
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/mutability/librtlsdr/releases/download/v0.5.4_git-1/librtlsdr0_0.5.4.git-1_armhf.deb
    wget https://github.com/mutability/librtlsdr/releases/download/v0.5.4_git-1/librtlsdr-dev_0.5.4.git-1_armhf.deb
    sudo dpkg -i librtlsdr0_0.5.4.git-1_armhf.deb
    sudo dpkg -i librtlsdr-dev_0.5.4.git-1_armhf.deb
    Now try again step 5:
    Code:
    cd ~/install-dump/dump1090
    sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-07-27, 20:25.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X