new RPI setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new RPI setup

I recently set up a Raspberry Pi with a stick and it worked for a while before Dump1090 seemed to keep crashing.

I have tried a second setup on a new pi, new stick, but still have the same problem.

The web status page gets flaky, then stops and Dump1090 stops around the same time.

Any ideas??

If you are not feeding it external power. Get one. The sticks are hard on USB power and will drop off causing d1090 to crash

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

That makes sense, I'll try it and see.
      Thanks.

Comment

Fed the dongle via a powered USB port, and beefed up the power supply to the pi and all good now, receiving signals from 200+ NM consistently now.

Thank you and best regards,
        Mark

Comment

Its interesting that everyone says that you have to run the dongles off a powered USB hub.

I've got two Pi's quite happily running with the dongles plugged straight into them and they haven't missed a beat. I do have good quality 5v 2A supplies feeding the Pis and I believe that is the answer - it would appear that the majority of Pi/dongle issues is when people are feeding them off a poor quality supply or one with not enough current capability. A standalone Pi will quite happily boot and run off a 1A supply, just don't plug anything into the USB ports.
          T-YSBK22

Comment

Hello rodeo

Yes, once I beefed up the supplies, everything came right.
            When I had problems, I searched the forum and struggled to find an answer. Once I knew the answer, then I found lots of references. Always the way.
            Perhaps a comment in the list of components should include a 2A supply. The supply that came with my pi, was a 1 amp rated unit.
            Thank you and best regards,
            Mark

Comment

Mark,

No worries.

That seems to be the common issue - most Pi's would appear to be shipped with only 1A supplies as you mentioned; the place I bought mine off here in Australia ship them with 2A supplies.

Cheers

Andrew
              T-YSBK22

Comment

I have found som interesting facts about RaPi
                1: On this site is how much current it use www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#powerReqs
                2: The total USB power output for all USB ports on a RaPi is 600 mA (and not as the USB standard says >500 mA on each port)
                RaPi B+ and 2B the total output current could be changed to 1.2 A by adding max_usb_current=1 in config.txt

To do this run:
                sudo nano /boot/config.txt
                go to the bottom and add max_usb_current=1
                save and reboot

Poul
                Last edited by attigliano; 2016-04-29, 17:31.
                T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

The poor power on the USB ports is one of the drawbacks of the raspberry. I had to learn that the hard way, too. Using a BT dongle for a remote control project the raspi kept crashing until I fed the dongle via a powered hub. That's why I recommend this setup for the DVB-T stick as well. Running for a week without any issues and counting...
                  Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X