Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pie + Network question

Hi,

I have a feed running from a Win machine at home, and I would like to add a second feed from a relative's home, using a Pi3. I've tried searching the forum, but couldn't find exactly what I needed, so hopefully you can help me.

First, the easy question - I understand that Pi3 has all the connectivity I need on the board itself, so if I'm planning to connect it via LAN cable, all I would need to buy is:
    Pi3+Case+Power Supply, and additionally I would need a memory card, and video + LAN cable, correct?
    Is there anything else should by with the Pi3 itself?

Now here's the tricky part... At home I'm running VRS and logging all of the data I'm receiving. I would like to be able to get all of the data from the remote location into my home VRS as well, but I'm facing two issues.
    The first, since both the home and remote locations don't have a permanent IP, how do I solve this? I know there are paid options that can be very expensive. Since this is only a hobby and not a business, I don't think I would be willing to go down that path of monthly payments.

Once I cross that hurdle, what should I install on the Pi to enable pushing the data? I know VRS has a Linux version, but it relies on Mono, and according to the VRS website, it's not very stable.
    I know there is also ModeSDeco2, but I see it has a Pi2 version, which I don't know if it would run on Pi3 (I assume it would).

Lastly, once I set up everything at the remote location, I would need to maintain it. I assume this could be done via VNC or TeamViewer, or something similar?

In any case, all of the above should also take into account that I don't want a huge security hole in both networks. I know I would need to open something for all this magic to happen, but I would like it to be as safe as possible.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Adi

First, the easy question - I understand that Pi3 has all the connectivity I need on the board itself, so if I'm planning to connect it via LAN cable, all I would need to buy is:
    Pi3+Case+Power Supply, and additionally I would need a memory card, and video + LAN cable, correct?
    Is there anything else should by with the Pi3 itself?
    Pi+Power+card+lan cable

Now here's the tricky part... At home I'm running VRS and logging all of the data I'm receiving. I would like to be able to get all of the data from the remote location into my home VRS as well, but I'm facing two issues.
    The first, since both the home and remote locations don't have a permanent IP, how do I solve this? I know there are paid options that can be very expensive. Since this is only a hobby and not a business, I don't think I would be willing to go down that path of monthly payments.
    changeip free service or similar and you will install update script on rpi

I know there is also ModeSDeco2, but I see it has a Pi2 version, which I don't know if it would run on Pi3 (I assume it would).
    It works fine

Lastly, once I set up everything at the remote location, I would need to maintain it. I assume this could be done via VNC or TeamViewer, or something similar?
    In any case, all of the above should also take into account that I don't want a huge security hole in both networks. I know I would need to open something for all this magic to happen, but I would like it to be as safe as possible.
    Use SSH but set good password on RPI
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Additionally consider establishing a VPN connection between the two locations with openVPN..

Comment

Originally posted by mainie View Post
        Additionally consider establishing a VPN connection between the two locations with openVPN..
        that is the best option for maintance but bit complicated so i didn't mention it

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
          that is the best option for maintance but bit complicated so i didn't mention it
          And it's also the best way to feed/pull data to/from the VRS. Only one dynamic DNS (at home) is necessary. Btw... VRS runs quiet stable with mono, at least I've only checked this under Debian..

Comment

I think VRS under mono is more resource demanding then mm2.
            Last edited by Amper; 2016-04-01, 10:53.

Comment

First of all, thanks for the many answers so far. I'm not sure VPN would work for me. I would need a constant connection to get the live data from the remote site, but I'm conencting to work via VPN, and I assume I cannot be connected to two VPN servers at once, correct?

Comment

The remote Pi will issue a public feed on ports 30002, TCP and ports 30003, TCP if you have selected the DUMP1090 argument --net during the FR24 install.
                Tht's all you need.
                If you use a free DynDNS service you can connect over the internet.
                You must ensure that the ports are open at your relative's location.

Basically that does not require any maintenance.
                In VRs add an additional reciever. Finito!

If you install xrdp additionally on your PI you can access comfortably the pi's desktop over Windows' built in Remote Desktop.
                You will need to open you need port 80, TCP and port 3389, TCP on the distant router.

P.S. if you open Port 8080 you will get the map and the planes from the remote Pi as well.
                Last edited by RIN67630; 2016-04-01, 15:55.

Comment

He asked for push service.

Comment

Maybe, but why?

Port 30003 with format Basestation fed from DUMP1090 works well on VRS.

Comment

Nearly all routers these days have inbuilt support for Dynamic DNS set this up on your remote station's router and port forward (in the remote router) the port 30003 (which ever one is you need to connect to) to the ip address of the pi (best to give it a reserved IP from the DHCP).

Then on you computer you simply add a receiver to VRS with the Dynamic DNS name rather than ip and it will work as if it was a local resource.
                      T-EGLF8

Comment

Dyndns is not free service.

Comment

I see there are free Dynamic DNS services. I will need to research it a bit, but I think that's the solution. FR24feed will output to a port which I will forward on the router, and I will set a new receiver in VRS for this.
                          I think it's the easiest method.
                          I'm just not comfortable with allowing SSH access over the internet as well, but with a very strong password it might be OK.

BTW, if the DNS yearly fee is not to high, I'm willing to consider that option as well, if that kind of service is better then a free service.

I've already ordered everything I need. Hoping it will arrive soon. Then I will need to brush my Linux skills!

Comment

On my...let's say few receivers...I use mm2 with --outconnect option. works fine. No dyndns, no ports no nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by adi4x View Post
                              I'm just not comfortable with allowing SSH access over the internet as well, but with a very strong password it might be OK.
                              You know, it's just a Pi. Potential hackers won't get into your bank account with it, not even in your (not existing) mailbox there.

Comment

Working...
                              X