Flightradar24 on RaspberryPi but missing fr24feed.ini but working OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightradar24 on RaspberryPi but missing fr24feed.ini but working OK

I have been running fr24 on a laptop but recently installed fr24 on the same RPI as piaware and both seem to working fine together but I am perplexed because the fr24feed.ini file appears to be missing, yet all the information such as the lat and long of my position is correct.

The command service fr24 status does not work but that could be due to the absence of fr24feed.ini.

Could there be somewhere else that the information could be stored and should I create a new fr24feed.in in the default location using the fr24feed.oni file still on the laptop?

Thanks.

Paul

Originally posted by paulinyyz View Post
    I have been running fr24 on a laptop but recently installed fr24 on the same RPI as piaware and both seem to working fine together but I am perplexed because the fr24feed.ini file appears to be missing, yet all the information such as the lat and long of my position is correct.

The command service fr24 status does not work but that could be due to the absence of fr24feed.ini.

Could there be somewhere else that the information could be stored and should I create a new fr24feed.in in the default location using the fr24feed.oni file still on the laptop?

Thanks.

Paul
    It depends on what lat/long you are talking about. The built in map (and piaware) uses Dump1090 config to get those details - independant from the server side settings tied to your account that is downloaded on feeder app login.

It may well be that you have not configured fr24feed as yet and its NOT running, just dump1090 and piaware are.

try running sudo fr24feed --signup
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      It depends on what lat/long you are talking about. The built in map (and piaware) uses Dump1090 config to get those details - independant from the server side settings tied to your account that is downloaded on feeder app login.

It may well be that you have not configured fr24feed as yet and its NOT running, just dump1090 and piaware are.

try running sudo fr24feed --signup
      Thanks very much for your reply. I ran sudo fr24feed --signup and got the following response; sudo: fr24feed: command not found. The lat/long I was referring to are the coordinates of my geographic location.

When I enable a filter with my "Radar" I am able to see local aircraft so it appears to be working unless there is something lurking around.

Comment

Tends to indicate its not installed/running. Are you sure you don't have your sites mixed up. Flightaware and flightradar are separate... And how do you know your assigned radarcode, if you can't get to the config page etc to confirm it.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Oh wait, you have windows feeder and moving to rPi? You can't share codes either btw.. need a new one or ensure the PC based is totally shutdown including background services.

Comment

Thanks for the sharing code info but fr24 shut down on the laptop and now that I have it seemingly running on the RPI, the laptop is somethimes shut down altogether.

I am using the radar code as originally assigned when I first signed up.

Comment

Not convinced it's running when it doesn't even recognise the command fr24feed. Need to get to the bottom of that error first

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

On another SD card I will try another method of having piaware and fr24 cohabitate and see what the results are.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by paulinyyz View Post

Thanks.

Paul
                  You're probably running Raspbian Jessie.

Jessie uses a new piece of software called "systemd" to start, stop and analyse running daemons and services.

Systemd intercepts the "status" request and reports on the status of the process rather than allowing the fr24feed script to display that information.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion but I think the date of the build I am using pre-dates Jessie. Think I will try another method of the dual install and see what happens.

Comment

Have you tried:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      sudo apt-get install fr24feed

edit: you may have to uninstall the problem fr24feed first.
                      Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-04-04, 02:40.

Comment

^^ This.

I've just added similar self-help details to my how-to thread. Not that anyone reads it (or says thanks if they did)

What's never been made clear in your posts, is if you used manual install. Or scripted. Or if you filled out the setup details like you would expect if either were true.

We have simply been told 'seems to be working fine'. With no example outputs or similar to back this up. However 'fine' would indicate the existence of fr24feed commands. That you are clearly lacking from the OS.

Highly suggest running the installs script, or above commands followed by sudo fr24feed --signup (assuming there is no installation errors produced during the process) and reporting back at each stage of failure/success

Comment

Agree with Oblivian:

sudo apt-get update
                          sudo fr24feed --signup

And have a lot of patience! There can be a lot of waiting between each command .

Comment

I apologise for the method of install omission, I had included it in my post but before sending a family member closed the browser and when redoing it, forgot. I used the palmerit script to install fr24 along with piaware. I am not all that knowledgeable when it comes to ssh etc. but was doing some poking around and found that a script does not exist for "service fr24feed status", would I be correct in saying that could be a contributing factor.

My fr24 statistics seem to be recording aircraft and positions as shown under my account so used that as an indication that it was working.

I have seen and noted;

sudo apt-get update
                            sudo fr24feed --signup

but have been reluctant to try for fear it messed things up because I had used a script.

Regards.

Comment

Sometimes is just simpler to start over and do it right rather than struggling trying to fix problems caused by a problem install.
                              What version RPi and O/S are you using? What kind of receiver (DVB-T, SBS or something else)? How do you control your RPi (directly with keyboard, mouse, monitor or through a network client)?
                              I use remote desktop. After doing at least one "sudo apt-get update" type in:

sudo apt-get install xrdp
                              sudo apt-get install remmina

It's the easiest UI for beginner's who are used to Windows. My advice is to do a complete fresh install and forget about what works now.
                              Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-04-05, 06:14.

Comment

Working...
                              X