PI 3 Raspberry GUI failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI 3 Raspberry GUI failure

Purchased the PI 3 Raspberry & proceeded to follow the steps in setting up flightradar 24, using the instructions at flightradar24.com to 'build-your-own'.

No apparent problem with the image.

Firstly, I don't have a LAN connected smartphone/tablet to detect the Pi24, so I need to have the PI3 GUI interface up & running to do so, via ethernet connection.

Unfortunately using raspi-config to set up semi/automatic GUI entry fails with unspecified errors for the both options.

I have run 'sudo-apt-get install lightdm' but it says it is unable to retrieve all the required archives. It then suggests running apt-get updates but that doesn't solve the problem. Have tried 'startx' a the command line but it is not recognized.

Any help would be appreciated for a newbie.

Thanks

Hi,
    I think there are some issues with rpi3.
    The same problems have been reported elsewhere in the adsb community relating to other services.
    I think most developers are currently working on this.
    Last edited by radiostationx; 2016-03-25, 15:03.

Comment

the first thing after running the noobs install is to start ethernet-connected and run
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Only then you have got a running WLAN and many (not all) bugs corrected.

Comment

I have Pi3 up and running with no problems, using Noobs and choosing Raspian. Had a display via HDMI connected, used a Logitech K400 keyboard and wired Ethernet, installed Tight VNC but are now SSHing to Pi3 normally. FTP works also... Installed FR24 with the one line command... All working and I am a Linux beginner...
        JRF: T-EDNY19
        South Germany

Comment

Dear jrf,
          if you install xrdp, you will be able to use Windows' remote desktop and work much more comfortably.
          Anyhow it is a good practice to run
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get upgrade
          You have got a lot of obsolete stuff in NOOBS and the integrated Pi3's WLAN does not work OoB.

Comment

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
            Dear jrf,
            if you install xrdp, you will be able to use Windows' remote desktop and work much more comfortably.
            Anyhow it is a good practice to run
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get upgrade
            You have got a lot of obsolete stuff in NOOBS and the integrated Pi3's WLAN does not work OoB.
            Okay, I am fine, I just wanted to give a hint to the thread starter to have the Pi3 completely up and running using the information from raspberrypi.org before installing FR24. My installation and the Pi3 is running fine...
            But thx anyway RIN67530
            And I prefer Tightvnc, because I also access an Ubuntu machine where my VRS is running and a camera surveillance to monitor my house...
            South Germany

Comment

Thanks all for your contributions.

I have done as you say by running all sudo apt-gets & also lightdm via ethernet directly to the PI 3, but I am still unable to get into the GUI & worryingly startx is not recognized as a valid command. Accordingly, I have yet to follow the link to automatically detect the Pi24.
              I'm using the latest image 1.0.18-5 with Raspbian.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
              Last edited by dalpets; 2016-03-26, 14:48.

Comment

Removed the DVB dongle and managed to enter the Debian 8 OS desktop on the raspberry, but only using one of the desktop logins (B3 & B4). Still unable to login to the desktop with startx in console mode.

So, I'm in the Debian desktop now, but it does not recognize the default or a changed Pi password for entry to the GUI. Is Debian, perhaps, asking for its own user/password?

Any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks.
                Last edited by dalpets; 2016-03-27, 16:24.

Comment

After considerable Google research I have now found that Raspbian Jessie Lite has no X server, so I will revert to the full OS & pare it down, as necessary. This will also require resizing the current micro SD card from its shown size of 60mb to its full size of 8Gb.

I'm surprised that no one here of the hard core users was prepared to inform me so. It would have saved me hours of fruitless endeavour!
                  Last edited by dalpets; 2016-03-28, 14:57.

Comment

> I'm surprised that no one here of the hard core users was prepared to inform me so

Did you inform us, that you were using Raspbian Jessie Lite?
                    We haven't got a crystal ball, you know.
                    If you are using a distribution intended for command-line only, you should not complain that a GUI does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by dalpets View Post
                      I'm surprised that no one here of the hard core users was prepared to inform me so. It would have saved me hours of fruitless endeavour!
                      Not giving the full picture results in useless answers. More success to you in the future...
                      South Germany

Comment

OK no need to get griefs.
                        Reformat your SD card, load the full NOOBS. It will boot right into the desktop.

Comment

Thanks guys for your forebearance with my comments. Sorry I was not more explicit.
                          I'm now in the position that I have installed Raspbian Jessie FULL version manually on an expanded 8gb micro sd card (at this juncture I prefer not to change to NOOB midstream as I fear I will become confused).
                          I can now access the full GUI of RJ, which I couldn't before with the limited version.

How do I proceed from here to install Pi24 via the command line ( I am not using ssh but interacting directly with the Pi3 with ethernet in place) so I assume the wget command will be different to the ssh command.

Thanks again.

Comment

The same. There's no GUI to the app, it need to be run in a console window the same as you would with no GUI.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              The same. There's no GUI to the app, it need to be run in a console window the same as you would with no GUI.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
                              Thanks for that.
                              I get part way through the console installation and I need to register but the registration seem to apply only to the android & iphone and not to the raspberry.

I am confused at this point. There seems to be two aspects to Flightradar-one that feeds back information by console only the other involving a GUI for movements in my location. I was really after the latter on the raspberry.
                              Could you please clarify.
                              Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                              X