Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I start FR24feed as a service under Windows 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I start FR24feed as a service under Windows 10?

With Windows 10 the user now has very limited possibilities to postpone Windows Updates. You can push it a few days, but you can't have it wait for your 'go-ahead'. the result may be that it will update and restart and thereby kill the feeder software.

I think there is a way to have the feeder start up again if it is defined as a service, but I know too little about Windows. Can anybody help?

The only thing you can try is make a .cmd with the commandline string you need. And use a tool to add it to the services that start on windows within the registry

However not sure if the W10 registry holds the same structure

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/137890
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You can make fr24feed.exe start automatically after your computer boots up or restarts from an update. Just right-click "fr24feed.exe" > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). Copy the newly-created shortcut from your desktop. Then open "Run" by pressing Windows key + R and type "shell:startup" (without the quotation marks) and you'll see the startup folder pop-up. Paste the shortcut in there. That's it. Note that it will only start only after you have logged in to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mgsy1101 View Post
        You can make fr24feed.exe start automatically after your computer boots up or restarts from an update. Just right-click "fr24feed.exe" > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). Copy the newly-created shortcut from your desktop. Then open "Run" by pressing Windows key + R and type "shell:startup" (without the quotation marks) and you'll see the startup folder pop-up. Paste the shortcut in there. That's it. Note that it will only start only after you have logged in to Windows.
        That is the problem. Windows might update at a time when I'm not around and I will then go offline until i notice and logon. I want windows to restart the feeder without me having to do anything.

Comment

A simple utility to run pretty much any application as a service is NSSM (Web: nssm.cc). Not sure for Windows 10 though. I personally used it with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012. But you might want to give it a try as it is pretty simple to use and available for 32 and 64 bit installations.

Comment

Hmm I would say that your only option would be to turn on auto login, which can be achieved by using a third-party tool.

This would obviously mean that your computer would be unlocked, but what you could do is use another small third-party tool to automatically lock your computer on startup.

So the computer would startup, auto login, then lock itself once all the startup items have started.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
              That is the problem. Windows might update at a time when I'm not around and I will then go offline until i notice and logon. I want windows to restart the feeder without me having to do anything.
              you can use netplwiz to remove the userpassword, so windows can auto login after al updates are finished.

Comment

Working...
              X