X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT Coverage NW England

Hi all,

I am quite new to the forum and FR24.

I am a FR24 feeder and live near Carlisle, Cumbria. At present coverage around here below 5000ft is normally non existent.
    Just lately aircraft have been showing slightly below 5000ft on the radar named T-MLAT7. Where is this one based as normally they just say T-MLAT?

my understanding of MLAT on FR24 was that aircraft would only show that are mode S transponder equipped if in range of 4 or more FR24 feeders? is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Not only FR24 receivers now. But upgraded RasberryPi systems

MLAT 6/7 is indicative of this source. So there will be enough normal T- feeders with Rasberry PI uploading mode-s only and location calculated
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thank you for the info.

My understand of M-LAT then for this area is that without more T-feeders we will struggle to pick up mode s traffic (such as GA) if below approx 5000 ft?
      What is the RasberryPi system?

Steve

Comment

Correct. Or above it for that matter, MLAT is only good when there is distance between points, the lower the altitude the closer they are and less accurate (so data ignored)

RasberryPi are a piece of hardware that run like a standalone PC, combined with a USB dongle and linux operating system they are an efficient uploader. Lots of people run these, which can now provide MLAT data - hence the sudden appearance as people update the system to be able to
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
        X