Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi using DUMP1090 to a csv file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrcarlos
    replied
    well i find a great way to do this, without any others software, make sure you have enabled raw data on port 30003 (dump1090 --raw) or 192.168.x.x:8754 in dump arguments write --raw, restart dump1090.

Go to console terminal and type:

sudo wget -O - -q http://myreceiver:30003 > log.txt .csv .kml or wathever format you want, press ctrl+c to stop it, type in terminal ls and you see your file in root directory, there are many options , make a executable sh or automate the process with crontab. you can upload data to catodb.com or in google earth. Enjoy

Leave a comment:

• mrcarlos
    replied
    Originally posted by nzradar View Post
    I used this to get multiple MSG lines:

nc 192.168.1.5 30003 | egrep --line-buffered 'MSG,1,|MSG,3,' >> /folder/somewhere/tracks_callsigns.csv

Note the use of egrep instead of grep

Cool
    someone can tell if this method run on non stop? how can i stop or start again?
    thanks in advanced

Leave a comment:

• tsimola
    replied
    One guy in Reddit put the data into MATLAB and made 3D visualisation of flights:

http://i.imgur.com/smRgo5W.gif
    http://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comme..._my_area_levc/

Also cartodb.com has one map option which makes an animation of the data...

I would like to see these made of Queenstown flights :-)

Leave a comment:

• nzradar
    replied
    I started my combined netcat at around 1.30pm local today and it's only 9Mb for six hours so far with the quiet time to come so I wouldn't expect too much over 20Mb for a busy day down here. I'm not sure what I can do with it after but at least the positions can be plotted on cartodb.com.

Leave a comment:

• tsimola
    replied
    Glad to help! I have a setup in Southern Finland in my parents place which can see around 140 planes a day (mostly flights to Far East). Position only csv is 2+ megabytes for 24 hrs..

Leave a comment:

• nzradar
    replied
    I used this to get multiple MSG lines:

nc 192.168.1.5 30003 | egrep --line-buffered 'MSG,1,|MSG,3,' >> /folder/somewhere/tracks_callsigns.csv

Note the use of egrep instead of grep

Cool
    Last edited by nzradar; 2014-11-26, 00:26.

Leave a comment:

• nzradar
    replied
    Thanks Tomi, that's very interesting, I'm now gathering my MSG3 lines to see what size file I get for a day. I did try running a second instance to get MSG1 lines that gather the callsigns but when I did it stopped the first netcat instance so I need to figure out how to collect both lines. Google is so my best friend these days!

Leave a comment:

• tsimola
    replied
    Hi!

I use this bit of linux magic to log all the ADS-B packets with position info into a .csv file:

nc 127.0.0.1 30003 | grep --line-buffered MSG,3, >> /folder/somewhere/positions.20141124.csv

Leaving out ">> positions.20141124.csv" brings packets into console.

Then I import this file in www.cartodb.com, a little bit of cleanup and then in ten minutes I have a map like this:

flights.jpg

It's a .csv file, so you can use that data anyway you want

Hope this is what you're looking for...

-Tomi
    Last edited by tsimola; 2014-11-25, 18:14.

Leave a comment:

• manojpjoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by k6rtm View Post
    I'm also interested in harvesting data from dump1090 for other purposes; early code perfectly acceptable!
    Hai guys

Please see

https://github.com/DE8MSH/dump1090-sqlite

which gives you an option to save data to sqlite database. i did not test it since I don t have linux to compile.

Please check and give feed back if possible

Regards

Manoj

Leave a comment:

• k6rtm
    replied
    Another interested in your project--

Originally posted by dogzbody View Post
    How far did you get with your data storage project, micdobro? I'm also very interested in doing something like that, mostly to play with range plots and statistics and things.
    I'm also interested in harvesting data from dump1090 for other purposes; early code perfectly acceptable!

Leave a comment:

• dogzbody
    replied
    How far did you get with your data storage project, micdobro? I'm also very interested in doing something like that, mostly to play with range plots and statistics and things.

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by manojpjoseph View Post
    Sir

I also want to write the data to a csv file. But I cannot understand the solution suggested by you! Could u expalin it?
    What is dr24.sh script?? and where I can find "quiet > /dev/null &" ??
    Please help.. I am a beginner ..
    Thanks
    If you are using dump1090 there are a number of parameters you can use. if you go to the folder where the executable is and type
    ./dump1090 --help all the parameters and what they do are listed
    one of these will give you the output you desire listed to sysoutput (usually means your screen)

if you use > filename then sysoutput is directed to this file (or if the file is a program or a command is used as the sysinput stream to that program or command)

the fr24.sh make sence if your Pi is set as in post 8 in this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24

Leave a comment:

• manojpjoseph
    replied
    Writing dump1090 to database

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    ... if you have the standard dr24.sh script, the dump1090 line ends
    --quiet > /dev/null&

replace that with
    > somefile.txt

run it for 10 minutes, see how bit the file gets - it's not CSV, but you can handle that later

now you could pipe the output into a script to clean up the data and format it (a bash script will do it on the fly).

Sir

I also want to write the data to a csv file. But I cannot understand the solution suggested by you! Could u expalin it?
    What is dr24.sh script?? and where I can find "quiet > /dev/null &" ??
    Please help.. I am a beginner ..
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• micdobro
    replied
    As promised - I started writing my little DSM program (Data Source Manipulator . It connects to DUMP1090 via network and then is able to do a bit more with the data. The point is to be able to do some serious antenna measurements as well as upload safely data into any database (incl. some modifications - or only selected columns etc.). I am writing it so that it should be very easy to extend it with simple plugins.

If you have good ideas - especially in the department of antenna measurements and data/db/upload capabilities - feel free to contact me directly. I will throw the source on Github at some point.

Selection_307.png

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by david cummings View Post
    Hi
    That's great one question though any way of making it export ONLY the aircrafts HEX code like this:
    0ca61b
    3986ef

Etc?
    there is a dump1090 parameter that's for debugging that does this. on your pi do

"./dump1090 --help"

to list all possible parameters

Leave a comment:

Working...
X