Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jarod View Post
    It flew over The Netherlands, trust me when i say 10+ FR24 receivers caught it, so that's not it.
    that was also one of my points, aircraft not appearing in an area near me that I know is detected by a truckload of other feeders, its become hard to know lately whats an "undocumented feature" *cough* , or an excuse for "dont care", so I now use the latter, I dont care, if its broke its broke, if it works it works, a few of us have come to this conclusion in recent months as most of us feed others as well, who *do care* and do listen, we concentrate our efforts more so with them if something appears wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
      that was also one of my points, aircraft not appearing in an area near me that I know is detected by a truckload of other feeders, its become hard to know lately whats an "undocumented feature" *cough* , or an excuse for "dont care", so I now use the latter, I dont care, if its broke its broke, if it works it works, a few of us have come to this conclusion in recent months as most of us feed others as well, who *do care* and do listen, we concentrate our efforts more so with them if something appears wrong.
      Oh they care. Just have to ask the right person.

So.... piopawlu are you reading this? We have some problems displaying some airplanes. We don't mind if they are blocked, just let us know if it's not a bug.

And much BIGGER: MLAT stopped working, at least over The Netherlands.

Comment

• Since we're discussing issues here (and how some seem to be ignored for whatever reason) I'll add this one. GIA715 departed SYD (YSSY) just now on my radar which I tracked all the way to Parkes west of SYD with callsign etc. It was being shown on the map with the track and aircraft route info as shown (no callsign, flight detail etc). The callsign, flight detail etc were always visible on my display. It's not as if it's a new route, it's been flying into and out of SYD for some years;

GIA715.jpg

It subsequently dropped the PKE (Parkes)-SYD (Sydney) section of the track altogether (when not selected which one would expect) although the blue tracks west of Parkes shown below are air routes but the aircraft is still displaying incorrectly (simply A333);

GIA715_2.jpg

At last sighting there are something in the order of 40 'T' feeders around SYD (myself included) although perhaps not all active, and a point where I am in agreement with Ressy, many 'F' or 'T' feeders at Camden and countless other nearby feeders of both types. Something isn't right with the way these aircraft are being displayed on the map as I have stated before in previous posts.

Here's it's sister flight (GIA713) a short time later, displaying as GIA715 should have except for the new aircraft info of 715;

GIA713.jpg

In the past, incorrect displays posted by me have not only been ignored but I've been pilloried for reporting them. Hopefully this won't result in a repeat of that. Jarod, we shouldn't have to 'ask (or notify) the right person.' If they cared we wouldn't be having this discussion. We certainly shouldn't be condemned or made to feel some sense of blame or belittlement because we do the right thing. We are after all volunteers, not paid staff and even paid staff shouldn't be treated in this manner.

Previously I'd report them on another relevant thread but thought this one belonged here since the issue has been raised here. Unfortunately I'm long past the stage of 'Why do I bother?'

It would seem that our efforts to improve the quality of the FR24 map,even if ultimately proved to be 100% incorrect, aren't appreciated at all.

Regards,
        Gregg
        Last edited by fungus; 2015-02-15, 01:49. Reason: additional (and corrected) info
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarod View Post
          Oh they care. Just have to ask the right person.
          You dont get much "righter" than Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by fungus View Post
            Jarod, we shouldn't have to 'ask (or notify) the right person.' If they cared we wouldn't be having this discussion. We certainly shouldn't be condemned or made to feel some sense of blame or belittlement because we do the right thing. We are after all volunteers, not paid staff and even paid staff shouldn't be treated in this manner.

Regards,
            Gregg
            they forget fr24 is what it is today because of volunteers, if we get the shits and say "stuff it" and shutdown our fr24 feeds, (F feeders can easily just not care if there box is on or off, or return the gear) fr24 tomorrow is history.

think along the the lines of AOL, they were huge in the early 90's throughout a decent portion of the world, even in Australia they had a large footprint back then, but they lost their way, ignoring the little people... now look at them, practically vanished into the "void" - where they belong

Comment

they forget fr24 is what it is today because of volunteers, if we get the shits and say "stuff it" and shutdown our fr24 feeds, (F feeders can easily just not care if there box is on or off, or return the gear) fr24 tomorrow is history.

think along the the lines of AOL, they were huge in the early 90's throughout a decent portion of the world, even in Australia they had a large footprint back then, but they lost their way, ignoring the little people... now look at them, practically vanished into the "void" - where they belong
              Ressy,

It's very interesting that you put it the way you have done. I've had a number of discussions with a certain party via email (no names but to do with Admin ) and made that very point as well as the point whereby we are actually helping to put the food in their mouths and money in their pockets. A little appreciation, or lack of aggression on their part might go a long way to avoid the very situation you speak of.

This doesn't need to be and should never have been an 'us verses them' situation, but they've set the tone.

Now, back to important issues- my setup is stuffed and I need to figure out how I'm going to fix it. I'm on the back-up antenna at the moment and need to repair the 1090SSJ or amp. Problem is, I blew up my multi-meter the other day trying to do so. I'd hate to add up all the dough I've spent on my setup just for FR24. And I need to try to get up on the roof at some stage.

Regards,
              Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2015-02-16, 13:41. Reason: adjustment to post
              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• fungus, your missing flight (GIA715/GA715) is missing from the FR24 database, which would probably explain the anomaly. It took a couple of seconds to use the FR24 search function to verify this.

GA713/GIA713 is in the database, which is why the details were displayed.

I am sure that support would be interested in investigating why GA715 went missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanno View Post
                  fungus, your missing flight (GIA715/GA715) is missing from the FR24 database, which would probably explain the anomaly. It took a couple of seconds to use the FR24 search function to verify this.

GA713/GIA713 is in the database, which is why the details were displayed.

I am sure that support would be interested in investigating why GA715 went missing.
                  G'day and thanks Stanno but it's not just the aircraft detail (which is new and expected) that I'm discussing, it's the fact it has no callsign or route info. The route info alone should be there (since it used to be) and certainly the callsign, as that is what we are uploading to FR24 from our receivers- the aircraft's callsign isn't present on the map and it should be. That flight detail also has been in the database for a very long time (I've watched it fly over my place and photographed it and 713 many times). The missing callsign isn't explained buy the lack of information in the DB- that comes directly from the aircraft's transponder. Occasionally there may be a missing or incorrect callsign (now pilots here in Australia are alerted to this by ATC due to ADS-B being compulsory above FL290) but this isn't the case here.

However, since it's now missing from the database, there's another issue.

I probably could have worded my previous post as little better.

Regards,
                  Gregg
                  Last edited by fungus; 2015-02-15, 05:05.

Comment

Since we're discussing issues here (and how some seem to be ignored for whatever reason) I'll add this one. GIA715 departed SYD (YSSY) just now on my radar which I tracked all the way to Parkes west of SYD with callsign etc. It was being shown on the map with the track and aircraft route info as shown (no callsign, flight detail etc). The callsign, flight detail etc were always visible on my display. It's not as if it's a new route, it's been flying into and out of SYD for some years;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5681[/ATTACH]

It subsequently dropped the PKE (Parkes)-SYD (Sydney) section of the track altogether (when not selected which one would expect) although the blue tracks west of Parkes shown below are air routes but the aircraft is still displaying incorrectly (simply A333);

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5682[/ATTACH]
                    Looking at VRS, I had the call sign.
                    Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.27.39 PM.png
                    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• YWSG,

Thanks, that helps to confirm the issue. Or two issues. It also contains the route details.

Regards,
                      Gregg
                      Last edited by fungus; 2015-03-01, 03:53. Reason: fixed a few typo's

Comment

• is visible again. Even the same flight. MLAT also working, must have been some outage of some servers.

Playback is still broken on Google Chrome, only the most used browser, but hey who cares right? :P

Edit: Ooooh only recent playback is not working, from a day before it works fine.
                        But using recent playback is the only playback i even use.... when i just missed something. Admins take notice and fix it!
                        From now to 1 hour ago, playback doesn't work... :/
                        Last edited by Jarod; 2015-02-16, 01:53.

Comment

Ressy,

It's very interesting that you put it the way you have done. I've had a number of discussions with a certain party via email (no names) and made that very point as well as the point whereby we are actually helping to put the food in their mouths and money in their pockets. A little appreciation, or lack of aggression on their part might go a long way to avoid the very situation you speak of.
                          Indeed, they are the ones always saying they do this, or that because they are only concerned about accuracy, yet when we report something their responses are often so contradictory (and condescending!) to that high degree accuracy point, its why I no longer bother.

Originally posted by fungus View Post
                          Now, back to important issues- my setup is stuffed and I need to figure out how I'm going to fix it. I'm on the back-up antenna at the moment and need to repair the 1090SSJ or amp. Problem is, I blew up my multi-meter the other day trying to do so. I'd hate to add up all the dough I've spent on my setup just for FR24. And I need to try to get up on the roof at some stage.

ouch thats nasty (and I hope it was a cheap MM and not an expensive moving coil one), the bout of wet weather we've seen up here in past months has seen the greenery grow, its an ongoing battle, I go higher, trees grow higher, I .. they .. I .. they .. *sigh* to win I'd need to get a bigger mast requiring guys.

(could also invest in a masthead amp, the only thing around here that's high power is a Police repeater about a km away so should be safe)
                          Last edited by Ressy; 2015-02-16, 07:10. Reason: typo

Comment

ouch thats nasty (and I hope it was a cheap MM and not an expensive moving coil one),
                            Ressy,
                            You are showing your age!
                            I can't remember the last time I used or even saw a moving coil meter, (I think I may still have an AVO 8 in the attic, probably worth less than £5 nowadays).
                            As a test engineer I would not even be allowed to use one at work, all the Multimeters I have used in the last 20+ years have been digital, however they are still not cheap, anything half decent costing upwards of £100 for a hand held one and considerably more for a bench meter.
                            Ben.
                            FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                              Ressy,
                              You are showing your age!
                              I can't remember the last time I used or even saw a moving coil meter, (I think I may still have an AVO 8 in the attic, probably worth less than £5 nowadays).
                              As a test engineer I would not even be allowed to use one at work, all the Multimeters I have used in the last 20+ years have been digital, however they are still not cheap, anything half decent costing upwards of £100 for a hand held one and considerably more for a bench meter.
                              Ben.
                              ahaha, yes, I think I have.. I used to work on radio comms equipment before moving to systems/network admin about 20 odd years ago, moving coil meter was the best for fault finding some circuits since you can see/hear the needle, which had a human-noticable faster reaction time than digital readout which was not fast enpough to gauge a single nano second output pulse. Most my MM use these days are the el cheapo $20 digital thingy I bought back in those days as well, because I dont have to hit hold/lock and try decipher the decimal values of a chips output voltage or resistance values - which in my advancing years means less eye strain LOL, well I'm late 40's and avoided needing glasses - so far

Comment

ahaha, yes, I think I have.. I used to work on radio comms equipment before moving to systems/network admin about 20 odd years ago, moving coil meter was the best for fault finding some circuits since you can see/hear the needle, which had a human-noticable faster reaction time than digital readout which was not fast enpough to gauge a single nano second output pulse. Most my MM use these days are the el cheapo $20 digital thingy I bought back in those days as well, because I dont have to hit hold/lock and try decipher the decimal values of a chips output voltage or resistance values - which in my advancing years means less eye strain LOL, well I'm late 40's and avoided needing glasses - so far
                                ... and some of us are even older. When I did my electrical apprenticeship, all we had were moving coil meters such as the AVO's. When I began the radio trades course I studied valves and a little tiny bit of these new things called transistors.

By coincidence, it seems it's Alessandro Volta's 270th birthday today (18th Feb). He's the guy credited with inventing the battery and I see by the article he researched and developed capacitance and EMF as well. (I think I slept through much of that stuff at tech college);

So it's his fault that here I am almost 300 years later sitting up here after midnight rabbitting on about this stuff on this great site.

Regards,
                                the old fart,
                                Gregg
                                Last edited by fungus; 2015-02-17, 13:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X