No announcement yet.

Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike, Do you have stats on what feeder types are supplying your data - possibly by region?

37% - PlanePlotter
    35% - FR24 Radarcape
    15% - Dump1090 + Linux feeder
    8% - New linex feeder (possibly split by version)
    5% new windows feeder (version)
    etc.

Comment

• I don't have the numbers. Just a very rough estimation.

2000 FR24 boxes
      1500 Windows feeders
      1000 Linux feeders
      20 Planeplotter
      20 Radarcape

Hopefully now when all platforms will be using the same feeder software we will be able to provide better statistics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
        I don't have the numbers. Just a very rough estimation.

Hopefully now when all platforms will be using the same feeder software we will be able to provide better statistics.
        Oh good god no, all feeders using same software - this reeks of JAVA! I hope I'm #$@*! wrong.

Comment

• I like seeing what "my" fr24 is tracking live, even if it's guaranteed not complete. Going to it's private web interface might show it tracking 40 planes, but the website assigns a much smaller portion to it's "callsign" and I can live with it being incomplete.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasonp View Post
            I like seeing what "my" fr24 is tracking live, even if it's guaranteed not complete. Going to it's private web interface might show it tracking 40 planes, but the website assigns a much smaller portion to it's "callsign" and I can live with it being incomplete.
            Are you saying you are concerned because you're not seeing your radar code on the web page?
            That code is just picked at random from all the stations feeding info about the aircraft in question - here (central UK) we have so many feeders that my code never shows, since the code is meaningless it doesn't bother me. The premium stats are sufficent to show that the data I send in is being received and put to use.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasonp View Post
              I like seeing what "my" fr24 is tracking live, even if it's guaranteed not complete. Going to it's private web interface might show it tracking 40 planes, but the website assigns a much smaller portion to it's "callsign" and I can live with it being incomplete.
              If you would like to watch what you Reciever is tracking,. you can follow it on your Premium Map,..
              Or Possibly download VRS(VirtuelradarServer) and Install,.
              A stand-alone .NET application that displays output from an SBS-1 ADS-B receiver on a Google Maps web page.
              (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
              1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Originally posted by delcomp View Post
                If you would like to watch what you Reciever is tracking,. you can follow it on your Premium Map,..
                Or Possibly download VRS(VirtuelradarServer) and Install,.
                http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/download.aspx
                Is 'Premium Map' RadarView?

If it isn't how do you access 'Premium Map'?

Yes,.. Radar View.. DEL
                Last edited by delcomp; 2014-10-20, 13:19.

Comment

• Hello everyone.
                  It's not the fist time I see commercial planes on my local dump1090 map but I don't see the plane on FR24.
                  As you can see here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/446v2pz34t...20bug.png?dl=0) I had on my map RYR9945 with toke off at Pisa some minutes earlier but regardless the fact I was sending it's position to FR24 it wasn't displayed as you can see on the right.
                  After 1-1.5 min FR24 draw a straight line from Pisa to the point another receiver reported (in this case F-LIRA1 wich is in Rome more than 300km away!)

Is there something that can be done for improving this behaviour?

Comment

• There were probably some data missing from your receiver. I would guess altitude and/or speed. Possibly callsign. With missing data there is a risk that the data is bad and is ignored unless sent by several feeders.

FR24 is not showing the same as local receiver software. FR24 have higher requirements on the data quality and if some data is missing FR24 is not using the data at all.

Comment

There were probably some data missing from your receiver. I would guess altitude and/or speed. Possibly callsign. With missing data there is a risk that the data is bad and is ignored unless sent by several feeders.

FR24 is not showing the same as local receiver software. FR24 have higher requirements on the data quality and missing data.
                      Ok thanks but as you can see all the data was there in dump1090 and the track was perfect. I know that relying on a single feeder is bad but sometimes for short periods of time can dramatically boost the number of planes shown on maps expecially during take offs

Comment

• The screenshot is not enough to determine what data your receiver was providing and when. Our primary goal is quality and quantity is secondary. One data point is not enough, as we historically have seen that one point, especially the first one, very often can be incorrect, and people are spamming social media with aircraft shown off track. Full data for one point from several feeders or 2-3 points from one feeder are needed before it's drawn on FR24. If you add the processing time at FR24, it can take 20-120 seconds from that you get first LON/LAT in your local software until FR24 is confident with the data quality and process the data for the map. If the coverage is good this is normally not a problem.

In this case if you look on playback first data was on 15875 feet and your screenshot is 17825 so your data was used before that, but it has just not showed up on map yet when you took the screenshot.

Comment

• Missing aircraft

Mike,

In relation to the topic brought up by 'giacomo892' I have noticed quite a number of flights departing YSSY (Sydney, Australia) which are disappearing on take off roll and failing to appear until some 45-50 km's from the airport. At the time there have been any number of 'Sydney' radars capable of displaying them correctly.

I have included a couple of screenshots, QF11 taken on 04_10_14 (which I happened to be interested in while watching a neighbour heading for LAX), departing to the east out over the Pacific and VA1627 taken on 10_10_14 and heading northwest. There have been others, for example AIC301 (Air India 787-8) taking off to the west for which I have no screenshot.

Not sure if these flights are being blocked by a particular radar or if it's a software problem on the FR24 side (or a server issue) but I've noticed them operating normally on my receiver during the time they are missing from the map. The map draws a straight line between the runway and the aircraft at a position some distance away where it appears to paint the aircraft on the map correctly and from that point on the flight appears normally. Playback shows the same error occurring.

At the time I checked each flight on Firefox, Chrome and IE(11) to see if it was a browser issue but it appears this isn't the case.

QF11.jpg VOZ1627.jpg

Regards,
                          Gregg
                          Last edited by fungus; 2014-10-25, 13:16. Reason: corrected attachments
                          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

New FR24 receivers

F-RODN1 activated in Okinawa, Japan
                            A quick glance and it seems that the range from F-RODN1 is very good. Much better tracking for flights from Japan heading to Singapore/ Shanghai to Australia east of Naha now.

Comment

The screenshot is not enough to determine what data your receiver was providing and when. Our primary goal is quality and quantity is secondary. One data point is not enough, as we historically have seen that one point, especially the first one, very often can be incorrect, and people are spamming social media with aircraft shown off track. Full data for one point from several feeders or 2-3 points from one feeder are needed before it's drawn on FR24. If you add the processing time at FR24, it can take 20-120 seconds from that you get first LON/LAT in your local software until FR24 is confident with the data quality and process the data for the map. If the coverage is good this is normally not a problem.

In this case if you look on playback first data was on 15875 feet and your screenshot is 17825 so your data was used before that, but it has just not showed up on map yet when you took the screenshot.
                              Thanks so much for the clarification. I'll attach you a shot when I had the plane @ 14k feets and another shot documenting another case.
                              fr242.png
                              fr243.png

Comment

• Sorry but I can't do absolutely nothing with one or two screenshots. The screenshot does not say what data was decoded and when. I have clearly clarified how the system works and what is needed for data to be presented on FR24.

In this case maybe location was decoded at 14.000 feet, and but altitude. Later on altitude on 14.875 feet altitude was decoded but not position. Your software merge this position and altitude data and show an aircraft at position X and alt Y on your map. FR24 does not have full data and is not using/processing this data. Or maybe 14.875 feet was first time full data was received, 15.575 feet was second and 15.875 feet was third and now FR24 processed the data and showed it on FR24. Without the full raw data I can only speculate.

Comment

Working...
                                X