Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fungus View Post
    ... and some of us are even older. When I did my electrical apprenticeship, all we had were moving coil meters such as the AVO's. When I began the radio trades course I studied valves and a little tiny bit of these new things called transistors.

By coincidence, it seems it's Alessandro Volta's 270th birthday today (18th Feb). He's the guy credited with inventing the battery and I see by the article he researched and developed capacitance and EMF as well. (I think I slept through much of that stuff at tech college);

So it's his fault that here I am almost 300 years later sitting up here after midnight rabbitting on about this stuff on this great site.

Regards,
    the old fart,
    Gregg
    LOL, I was lucky enough not to have any valve contact, I just ended up in frustration with not-hot-enough-irons disintegrating a few SMC's - I still hate those things today! luckily I worked mainly on philips fm900 series and uniden vhf marine gear, most my knowlegde was self taught - well I had a bit of help from a senior tech along the way was tinkering since mid teens, and thinking about it, I've been in sys admin business since 91, so thats nearly 25 years, the last repair job I did on radios was about 10 years back, my old mc790 - turns out, marine radios also dont like lightening

Anyways its 814 and I gotta head off in 15 mins - just enough time to lower the adsb antennae given this weeks warnings (http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20032.html) (for once the BoM look like being *right* in a forecast hehe)

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
      new feeders,

T-RJOR8 - Tottori Airport, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan.

Originally posted by moo883 View Post
      the collect is,
      T-RJOR8 - Tottori Airport, Tottori Prefecture, Japan.

Amended. Thanks/domo arigato for notifying.
      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-02-18, 06:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
        Anyways its 814 and I gotta head off in 15 mins - just enough time to lower the adsb antennae given this weeks warnings (http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20032.html) (for once the BoM look like being *right* in a forecast hehe)
        You do know that the forecasts are generated by a computer and not a trained forecasting meteorologist these days? Though just got a whole lot interesting with it now being declared a tropical cyclone (Marcia), shear is forecasted to weaken with the ridge moving in and warm water will feed it. Lam is packing quite a punch also.

Though I've been dealing with storms (more so the lightning, such as the pic below) in the last few days, thankfully nothing like what Griffith got! I hate storms that have close strikes and when you have an antenna that is one of the highest objects in the area (though antenna at the Toll depot is higher), you just have to hope none land near it.
        _MG_9771 sm.jpg
        Last edited by YSWG; 2015-02-18, 12:21.
        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Awwww yis! F-EHAM3
          MLAT down to 1000 feet at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport EHAM/AMS :-)

Edit:
          Last edited by Jarod; 2015-02-18, 18:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
            You do know that the forecasts are generated by a computer and not a trained forecasting meteorologist these days? Though just got a whole lot interesting with it now being declared a tropical cyclone (Marcia), shear is forecasted to weaken with the ridge moving in and warm water will feed it. Lam is packing quite a punch also.

Though I've been dealing with storms (more so the lightning, such as the pic below) in the last few days, thankfully nothing like what Griffith got! I hate storms that have close strikes and when you have an antenna that is one of the highest objects in the area (though antenna at the Toll depot is higher), you just have to hope none land near it.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5696[/ATTACH]
            ahaha yes I know that, but a lot depends on their input of data, and how useless eeerrrr I mean useful their computations are, most the times its wrong, no point in issuing 7 days forecast when you cant get tomorrows right

Marcia is forecast to intensify, cat 3 at landfall and regardless of where that is, at YCAB its gunna blow like hell overnight and tomorrow, they advise YCAB can expect 90k+ winds

Interestingly, with the mast lowered (2.4 metres from ground), still have excellent range seaward and north to Maryborough, lost big time elsewhere, like down to about 100k's west n/west, used to get down to 700ft on approach to 19 YBBN, I'm currently losing it at 1600ft
            Last edited by Ressy; 2015-02-19, 04:39. Reason: typo

Comment

• Marcia was upgraded to a category 3 but expected to make landfall as a category 4 between Mackay and Yeppoon. Going to see a few feeders offline no doubt.
              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Marcia was upgraded to a category 3 but expected to make landfall as a category 4 between Mackay and Yeppoon. Going to see a few feeders offline no doubt.
                Correction was upgraded to CAT 4 at 4.30pm Qld time, expected to be CAT 5 later tonight and still at landfall between 3 and 6am (slowed up a bit in past 2 hrs -which could be problematic, more chance of direction change)

Current track is still forecast to move south to south east within hours after landfall, depending upon how quickly it weakens, this will likely impact several YBBN feeders as well as those north of.

Comment

• Just noticed! Impressive system, has a nice clear eye. Seems to be tracking west towards Mackay, though if it follows the BoM's path, Brisbane will be in for a load of fun!
                  F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Just noticed! Impressive system, has a nice clear eye. Seems to be tracking west towards Mackay, though if it follows the BoM's path, Brisbane will be in for a load of fun!
                    Indeed, and as I suspected, direction has changed, for past hour now tending S/SW, evac orders for a few small towns,

"The VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE of severe tropical cyclone Marcia, with gusts to 295 km/h, is expected to cross the coast between Mackay and Gladstone on Friday morning.

DESTRUCTIVE WINDS are expected to develop about coastal and island communities between Mackay and Burnett Heads tonight."

So we could start to see a fair few feeders offline from tonight.

Comment

• Anyone Spotted GPS errors the last few days?

Hi has it just been me or has anyone else followed planes to landing only to have them appear to land off the runway sometimes in residential areas? The US DOD stopped the practice of spoofing the GPS to keep adversaries from locking on to GPS and targeting infrastructure.

Has something happened in the world which required them to start the practice again? I watched a plane land which was lined up on a residential area instead of the end of the runway only to have the pilot fly around to visually align with the runway.

All of my GPS tracking receivers are affected similarly so it is just not the FR24 receiver at fault.
                      A playback of the landing in question of flight 5J629 is here.

John
                      F-RPVD1
                      Last edited by paradiselost; 2015-02-19, 20:32. Reason: Added playback link

Comment

• Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
                        Hi has it just been me or has anyone else followed planes to landing only to have them appear to land off the runway sometimes in residential areas? The US DOD stopped the practice of spoofing the GPS to keep adversaries from locking on to GPS and targeting infrastructure.

Has something happened in the world which required them to start the practice again? I watched a plane land which was lined up on a residential area instead of the end of the runway only to have the pilot fly around to visually align with the runway.

All of my GPS tracking receivers are affected similarly so it is just not the FR24 receiver at fault.

John
                        F-RPVD1
                        John,

As it's only 06:30hrs local here in SYD and 03:30hrs local in Manilla I could only check a few takeoffs from MNL/RPLL (nothing's happening at RPVD or anywhere else in the Philippines) but those appeared to be normal and right down the centre of the runway. I'll check a bit later but I'd think it's probably due to inaccurate data from certain aircraft (as has been discussed elsewhere on the forum) rather than anything else. All's fine here in SYD and MEL with both ARR/DEP aircraft.

I'll check again in a few hours time if I'm able.

Regards,
                        Gregg

Just after I posted I watched CEB552 arrive on F-RPLL4 and PAL105 on F-RPLL2 and each did so right down the centreline of RWY06. Then I watched CEB548 at CEB/RPVM with the same result on RWY04 except that it ended up in the drink at the end of the runway. This seems to happen occasionally as the data is affected to some degree at airports for ground traffic, probably due to obstructions etc.
                        Last edited by fungus; 2015-02-19, 20:09. Reason: update
                        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

John,

As it's only 06:30hrs local here in SYD and 03:30hrs local in Manilla I could only check a few takeoffs from MNL/RPLL (nothing's happening at RPVD or anywhere else in the Philippines) but those appeared to be normal and right down the centre of the runway. I'll check a bit later but I'd think it's probably due to inaccurate data from certain aircraft (as has been discussed elsewhere on the forum) rather than anything else. All's fine here in SYD and MEL with both ARR/DEP aircraft.

I'll check again in a few hours time if I'm able.

Regards,
                          Gregg

Just after I posted I watched CEB552 arrive on F-RPLL4 and PAL105 on F-RPLL2 and each did so right down the centreline of RWY06. Then I watched CEB548 at CEB/RPVM with the same result on RWY04 except that it ended up in the drink at the end of the runway. This seems to happen occasionally as the data is affected to some degree at airports for ground traffic, probably due to obstructions etc.
                          Did you look at the replay? What is happening now has no bearing but to look at replays that end about 0830 UTC, yesterday. The flight in question landed and I saw it at the gate when I went by. As for the obstruction theory, my other two tracking receivers showed the same landing location on the map as it was happening. The flights you looked at are basically N-S runways where as RPVD is basically an E-W runway. Wind changes here are "Fremantle Doctor" style.

John
                          F-RPVD1
                          Dumaguete

Comment

Did you look at the replay? What is happening now has no bearing but to look at replays that end about 0830 UTC, yesterday. The flight in question landed and I saw it at the gate when I went by. As for the obstruction theory, my other two tracking receivers showed the same landing location on the map as it was happening. The flights you looked at are basically N-S runways where as RPVD is basically an E-W runway. Wind changes here are "Fremantle Doctor" style.

John
                            F-RPVD1
                            Dumaguete
                            John,

You didn't mention replay, although I notice you've adjusted the post . Also some of the older aircraft have very old INSS navigation systems that aren't very accurate. Playback (over here) has also been playing up for some time. If it's only one flight it may not be indicative of a huge issue (yet). When I playback that flight it lands perfectly.

... and the 'Fremantle Doctor' is only on the west coast, not here in the east although we do get our 'southerly busters'.

Regards,
                            Gregg
                            Last edited by fungus; 2015-02-19, 23:23.
                            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

John,

... When I playback that flight it lands perfectly.

Regards,
                              Gregg
                              The playback link clearly shows the flight winding up about a mile south of the runway. Like you I believe it is faulty data from the aircraft's transponder but with what is going on if the US DoD spoofs the GPS, I don't think think they would publish a Notice to Airmen to turn off their automatic landing systems and land manually.

Look at previous days flights and they are normal landings.

The question did anyone else detect landing errors at 08:30 UTC 2-19-2015?

Last edited by paradiselost; 2015-02-20, 03:17.

Comment

The playback link clearly shows the flight winding up about a mile south of the runway. Like you I believe it is faulty data from the aircraft's transponder but with what is going on if the US DoD spoofs the GPS, I don't think think they would publish a Notice to Airmen to turn off their automatic landing systems and land manually.

Look at previous days flights and they are normal landings.

The question did anyone else detect landing errors at 08:30 UTC 2-19-2015?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5699[/ATTACH]

Playback certainly does not show it off the field, it toiuches down at 811, and 812 its at the terminal, at *no* time did it even come closs to, let alone cross, National Rd

Comment

Working...
                                X