Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @abcd567

I did it but nothing changed. I suppose the problem is that i can't activate the raspberry because the PI can't communicate with the web site, maybe can be some problem of ports?
    In effect the pi is not connected completely to my account, also if appear to be active.
    Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by it344x
      hi Everyone,
      Can you help with a quick query please - I hope this isn't lost within this gigantic thread.

Current setup is Rasp B, 4.4.13+ ( Jessie ), clean install, with DVB-T dongle.
      I have run & signed up with fr24feed.

My query is that I have not told the software what path the USB dongle is using, but IP:8754 tells me it is connected.
      I also cannot see within /dev exactly which it is using either, which doesn't help. My FR24 Feeder Tracked Aircraft List is permanently blank too - I cannot tell whether I am incorrectly configured, or I just can't pick anything up ( I am not directly under a flightpath, although I am nearby ).

I am picking up a great deal from the threads available, but is there a diagram that shows the information flow within this system, it would help greatly rather than grabbing bits of info from lots of different threads.

Any help would be most gratefully received,

Regards
      Martin

FR24 Link: Connected via TCP
      FR24 Radar Code: T-LELO4
      Aircraft Tracked (ModeS & ADS-B): 0
      Aircraft Uploaded: N/A
      Receiver: dvbt, Connected
      MLAT running: NO
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7849[/ATTACH]
      Woops, I would edit your post, as the image shows your sharing key.
      T-EGMC85 - SEN

Comment

• hi Everyone,
        Can you help with a quick query please - I hope this isn't lost within this gigantic thread.

My query is that I have not told the software what path the USB dongle is using, but IP:8754 tells me it is connected.
        I also cannot see within /dev exactly which it is using either, which doesn't help. My FR24 Feeder Tracked Aircraft List is permanently blank too - I cannot tell whether I am incorrectly configured, or I just can't pick anything up ( I am not directly under a flightpath, although I am nearby ).

I am picking up a great deal from the threads available, but is there a diagram that shows the information flow within this system, it would help greatly rather than grabbing bits of info from lots of different threads.

Regards
        Martin

Capture.jpg
        let's try again..

Comment

• Originally posted by it344x View Post
          hi Everyone,

Regards
          Martin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7851[/ATTACH]
          let's try again..

Just a shot in the dark. It seems that the fr24 service is running as it should be. But you could try playing with your gain settings for your DVB-T stick.

Have a look at your fr24feed.ini file.

sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

here is mine.

Code:
          receiver="dvbt"
          fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxx"
          path="/usr/lib/fr24/dump1090"
          bs="yes"
          raw="no"
          logmode="0"
          procargs="--aggressive --ppm 70 --gain -10"
          windowmode="0"
          mpx="no"
          mlat="yes"
          mlat-without-gps="yes"
          You may notice that I have extra settings.

--aggressive uses more CPU, but I found that I tracked more aircraft by using this.

--ppm 70 is the frequency error in parts per million of my DVB-t stick. I found this, by using SDR# on my PC and tuning the stick to a known accurate signal, which happens to be the ATIS transmission from my local airport. Maybe ill do a little tutorial on this when I have a bit of spare time. This can increase range of your feeder.

--gain -10 sets the radio to auto gain.

I hope this can get you up and running. Also, I would disable logging, as this will wear out your sd card quicker as they have very limited write cycles. (logmode="0") Ill keep any eye on this thread and if I think of anything that may help, ill post again.

----EDIT----

Forgot to mention, if you do change /etc/fr24feed.ini you will need to restart your raspberry Pi

sudo reboot

or just restart the fr24feed service

sudo service fr24feed restart

You can also get information about fr24feed with,

sudo servce fr24feed status.
          Last edited by Paul30003; 2016-07-30, 20:15. Reason: Forgotten information.
          T-EGMC85 - SEN

Comment

• Many thanks Paul - I will do that .
            My current fr24feed.ini file looks like this

ath="/"
            bs="yes"
            raw="yes"
            logmode="2"
            windowmode="0"
            mpx="no"
            mlat="yes"
            mlat-without-gps="yes"

so I will modify accordingly.

Can you tell me what dump1090 actually does please?
            thanks
            Martin

Comment

• Theres a rough outline of the flow process..
              Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

You should clear the path and source IP you have, although ignored when dvbt chosen the device path is not and will cause issues

Edit that out. Stop the service. Start it without service command and observe findings per suggestions within

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Oblivian; 2016-07-30, 19:57.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• perfect, many thanks Oblivian - time to read..

Comment

Many thanks Paul - I will do that .
                  My current fr24feed.ini file looks like this

ath="/"
                  bs="yes"
                  raw="yes"
                  logmode="2"
                  windowmode="0"
                  mpx="no"
                  mlat="yes"
                  mlat-without-gps="yes"

so I will modify accordingly.

Can you tell me what dump1090 actually does please?
                  thanks
                  Martin
                  dump1090 is what decodes the information. It is made available on port 30003, fr24feed listens to this port and sends the data up to Flight Radar. Here is a link to the Readme file on the creators github. https://github.com/antirez/dump1090/...ster/README.md
                  T-EGMC85 - SEN

Comment

hi Everyone,

Regards
                    Martin

let's try again..
                    Have you tried "http:\\<yourRPisAddress>/dump1090"? (eg: 10.0.0.100/dump1090)

You should see a map. If there are no planes listed and you know they are in the area then most likely dump1090 is not connecting to your ADS-B receiver.

From your sequence of installations it's possible that you have the DVB-T receivers default drivers for tuning TV stations still installed.

My advice is to install dump1090-mutability per this thread:

Install dump1090-mutability 1.15

You might want to read the last few posts if you have some problems with it but in the end it's worth the effort. Only the first 8 steps are required to get you feeding correctly.

PS: Just because 8754 shows you as "connected" that doesn't mean dump1090 can access your DVB-T dongle. You probably need to re-install the rtlsdr drivers that is outlined in the dump1090-mutability 1.15 thread.
                    Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-08-01, 04:08.

Comment

• Related question about this FR24 8754 parameter:

"mlat-without-gps="yes""

If the RPi has a GPS receiver and this changes to "no" is it possible to contribute to FR24 MLAT network? (i.e. MLAT-6/7)

Or what is the status with FR24's RPi MLAT functionality?

Edit: IMHO a GPS receiver would result in more accurate MLAT results because it does not depend on the user to input the correct receiver's GPS coordinates and uses the GPS time stamp that is the same for all feeders.
                      Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-08-01, 04:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam26K View Post
                        Related question about this FR24 8754 parameter:

"mlat-without-gps="yes""

If the RPi has a GPS receiver and this changes to "no" is it possible to contribute to FR24 MLAT network? (i.e. MLAT-6/7)

Or what is the status with FR24's RPi MLAT functionality?

Edit: IMHO a GPS receiver would result in more accurate MLAT results because it does not depend on the user to input the correct receiver's GPS coordinates and uses the GPS time stamp that is the same for all feeders.
                        I'm not so sure, I used google maps to pinpoint the location of my receiver. I would say, a GPS is an unnecessary expense, as your location is never going to move. I'm not sure if time needs to be accurate, I just checked the time on my receiver and noticed I was behind by an hour. My regional setting where in UTC but I should be on UK GMT, i'm sure there has been no mlat errors from my box else Flight radar would of blocked it.
                        T-EGMC85 - SEN

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul30003 View Post
                          Just a shot in the dark. It seems that the fr24 service is running as it should be. But you could try playing with your gain settings for your DVB-T stick.

Have a look at your fr24feed.ini file.

sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

here is mine.

Code:
                          receiver="dvbt"
                          fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxx"
                          path="/usr/lib/fr24/dump1090"
                          bs="yes"
                          raw="no"
                          logmode="0"
                          windowmode="0"
                          mpx="no"
                          mlat="yes"
                          mlat-without-gps="yes"
                          You may notice that I have extra settings.

--aggressive uses more CPU, but I found that I tracked more aircraft by using this.

--ppm 70 is the frequency error in parts per million of my DVB-t stick. I found this, by using SDR# on my PC and tuning the stick to a known accurate signal, which happens to be the ATIS transmission from my local airport. Maybe ill do a little tutorial on this when I have a bit of spare time. This can increase range of your feeder.

--gain -10 sets the radio to auto gain.

I hope this can get you up and running. Also, I would disable logging, as this will wear out your sd card quicker as they have very limited write cycles. (logmode="0") Ill keep any eye on this thread and if I think of anything that may help, ill post again.

----EDIT----

Forgot to mention, if you do change /etc/fr24feed.ini you will need to restart your raspberry Pi

sudo reboot

or just restart the fr24feed service

sudo service fr24feed restart

You can also get information about fr24feed with,

sudo servce fr24feed status.

Hi Paul30003,

do you think the "ppm-correction" might work if I implement it into the existing extra settings like this:

procargs="--net --net-http-port 8080 --ppm 44"

Thanks,
                          majo

Comment

• Originally posted by majo View Post
                            Hi Paul30003,

do you think the "ppm-correction" might work if I implement it into the existing extra settings like this:

procargs="--net --net-http-port 8080 --ppm 44"

Thanks,
                            majo

It certainly won't do any harm, as long as your sure the value is correct.
                            T-EGMC85 - SEN

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul30003 View Post
                              I'm not so sure, I used google maps to pinpoint the location of my receiver. I would say, a GPS is an unnecessary expense, as your location is never going to move. I'm not sure if time needs to be accurate, I just checked the time on my receiver and noticed I was behind by an hour. My regional setting where in UTC but I should be on UK GMT, i'm sure there has been no mlat errors from my box else Flight radar would of blocked it.
                              Unless you are using an FR24 supplied ADS-B receiver, the last I heard you should not be feeding MLAT data directly to FR24.

As I understand it RPI's do not contribute MLAT data to FR24. I was wondering if this was due to the fact that FR24 receivers are GPS equipped and if RPI users had GPS enabled receivers would it be possible for those RPi feeders to contribute MLAT data?

The question has nothing to do with how accurately a user inputs their GPS coordinates which no doubt the accuracy varies between users. .

Edit: To clarify, as I understand it: At least 4 receivers spread apart are needed to calculate the MLAT position. As it is now, at least one has to be an FR24 receiver. Is this due to the GPS requirement? My theory is that if all ADS-B receivers in range of the aircraft are GPS enabled they would have more accurate MLAT calculations and would not require an FR24 receiver.
                              Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-08-03, 10:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam26K View Post
                                Unless you are using an FR24 supplied ADS-B receiver, the last I heard you should not be feeding MLAT data directly to FR24.

As I understand it RPI's do not contribute MLAT data to FR24. I was wondering if this was due to the fact that FR24 receivers are GPS equipped and if RPI users had GPS enabled receivers would it be possible for those RPi feeders to contribute MLAT data?

The question has nothing to do with how accurately a user inputs their GPS coordinates which no doubt the accuracy varies between users. .

Edit: To clarify, as I understand it: At least 4 receivers spread apart are needed to calculate the MLAT position. As it is now, at least one has to be an FR24 receiver. Is this due to the GPS requirement? My theory is that if all ADS-B receivers in range of the aircraft are GPS enabled they would have more accurate MLAT calculations and would not require an FR24 receiver.
                                Your information is out of date. Raspberry Pi's without GPS do in fact aid in MLAT calculations. I enabled logging on my RPi and restarted the fr24feed service. Here are extracts from the log clearly showing MLAT is being used. The top section of the log shows the MLAT configuration, but further down, you can see that MLAT is indeed very active.

Code:

2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [main][i]Reader thread started
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [master][i]Starting processing thread
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [main][i]Socket server started
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [bs][i]Initializing server
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [main][i]MLAT data feed started
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [bs][i]Starting server on 0.0.0.0:30003
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [mlat][i]Waiting for MLAT configuration
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [reader][i]Initializing reader
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [reader][i]Connecting to DVBT receiver via (exe:///usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 --aggressive --ppm 70 --gain -10 --raw --mlat)
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, configuring
                                2016-08-03 12:39:40 | [reader][i]Configured, processing messages
                                2016-08-03 12:39:41 | [reader][w]Setting new UTC offset: 0!
                                2016-08-03 12:39:41 | [time][i]Synchronizing time via NTP
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [time][i]Time synchronized correctly, offset +0.0011 seconds
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [main][i]Feed Network client started
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][i]Downloading configuration

2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][c]GND: YES
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][c]NonADSB: YES
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][c]Timestamps: optional
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][c]Max range AIR: 350.0nm
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][c]Max range GND: 100.0nm
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [stats][i]Stats thread started
                                2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][i]defined 5 servers

2016-08-03 12:39:44 | [feed][n]connecting
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [feed][n]connected via UDP (fd 22)
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [feed][n]working
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [feed][i]sent 11,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [mlat][i]MLAT configuration received, service ENABLED
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [mlat][i]Starting MLAT with preconfigured position: xxxxxxxxx

2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [mlat][i]MLAT bandwidth reduction active, 
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [mlat][i]Registering MLAT station
                                2016-08-03 12:39:45 | [mlat][i]Registering MLAT station: SUCCESS
                                2016-08-03 12:39:50 | [feed][i]sent 35,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i]Received ADS-B time references AC:
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 40058A
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 400D8C
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 40621C
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 4CA6A4
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 4CA7AA
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 4D00D6
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 502CB6
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 75028F
                                2016-08-03 12:39:51 | [mlat][i] 896406
                                2016-08-03 12:39:55 | [feed][i]sent 40,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:00 | [feed][i]sent 48,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:00 | [mlat][e]Received MLAT timestamp error: 0 seconds!
                                2016-08-03 12:40:00 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:40:01 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/15072414
                                2016-08-03 12:40:05 | [feed][i]sent 48,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:10 | [feed][i]sent 47,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:15 | [feed][i]sent 45,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:20 | [feed][i]sent 50,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:21 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:40:21 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:40:25 | [feed][i]sent 46,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:30 | [feed][i]sent 40,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:35 | [feed][i]sent 50,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:40 | [feed][i]sent 44,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:41 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:40:41 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:40:46 | [feed][i]sent 48,0 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:47 | [feed][i]filtering out 41 overlapping AC (saving bandwidth)
                                2016-08-03 12:40:51 | [feed][i]sent 19,29 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:56 | [feed][i]sent 27,23 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:40:57 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 81 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:01 | [feed][i]removed 2 of 82 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:01 | [feed][i]sent 20,17 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:01 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:41:01 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:41:05 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 84 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:06 | [feed][i]sent 30,23 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:09 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 84 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:11 | [feed][i]sent 31,21 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:16 | [feed][i]sent 20,22 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:16 | [feed][n]syncing stream async: 1
                                2016-08-03 12:41:17 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 89 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:17 | [feed][n]syncing stream result: 1
                                2016-08-03 12:41:21 | [feed][i]sent 39,22 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:21 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:41:21 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:41:25 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 92 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:26 | [feed][i]sent 37,23 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:31 | [feed][i]sent 32,22 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:36 | [feed][i]sent 27,15 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:37 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 93 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:41 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 94 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:41 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:41:41 | [feed][i]sent 29,20 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:41 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:41:46 | [feed][i]sent 29,18 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:47 | [feed][i]filtering out 52 overlapping AC (saving bandwidth)
                                2016-08-03 12:41:49 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 96 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [feed][i]sent 20,29 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i]Received ADS-B time references AC:
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 34241A
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 3444D2
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 39950F
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 40058A
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 400965
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 4009D9
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 400D8C
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 405A46
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 405D13
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 40621C
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 406FDA
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 471EAB
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 4B19F4
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 4CA8E4
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 4CC4E9
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 4D00D6
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 51007F
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 75028F
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] 896406
                                2016-08-03 12:41:51 | [mlat][i] AA64BA
                                2016-08-03 12:41:56 | [feed][i]sent 20,29 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:41:57 | [feed][i]removed 2 of 96 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:01 | [feed][i]sent 20,26 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:02 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:42:02 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:42:04 | [feed][i]removed 2 of 99 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:06 | [feed][i]sent 20,25 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:08 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 97 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:11 | [feed][i]sent 20,28 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:12 | [feed][i]removed 3 of 98 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:16 | [feed][i]sent 20,27 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:16 | [feed][i]removed 1 of 95 AC
                                2016-08-03 12:42:21 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                                2016-08-03 12:42:21 | [mlat][i]Stats 15072414/0
                                2016-08-03 12:42:21 | [feed][i]sent 20,31 AC
                                T-EGMC85 - SEN

Comment

Working...
                                X