No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the benefit of using the Raspberry Pi Ive been using the NooElec R820T SDR&DVB-T NESDR MINI 2 by its self but keep having problems with my HP p7-1254 computer dropping the USB after a short period of time, say that it doesn't recognize it anymore. Its gotten very frustrating. I contacted NooElec about it they say my DVB-T stick might be bad. Any help with this would be appreciated because if I can gain anything out of the Raspberry Pi setup Ill order one.

Comment

• Originally posted by pwdiver View Post
      What is the benefit of using the Raspberry Pi ...... my HP p7-1254 computer.
      I can't vouch for the DVB-T stick, but offhand I'd say that some of the benefits of the Pi over the HP are -
      * Power: The Pi will draw < 20W compared to the 300W PSU of the HP (you can leave it running 24/7/365 relatively guilt-free and feed FR24 with more quality data)
      * Sound: No fan in the Pi = no noise
      * Footprint: You can stick it on a wall (after initial set up you can set it up as a headless device - no keyboard, no mouse, no screen, no stolen desk real estate)
      * Placement: You're not tethered to a desk - so your antenna can be placed more optimally and it will allow you to re-configure your office/bedroom more easily and at will
      * Fun: It's a lot more fun
      * Fun: It's a heck of a lot more fun

Hope that adds something.

Comment

• Thanks for the info so I wouldn't need to have it connected to my computer at all, I leave my computer on 24/7 because I feed weather data to Wunderground Ive been doing that since 2005. I might look into that would you have a recommendation on which one to get preferably a plug and play. Thanks again

Comment

• Originally posted by pwdiver View Post
          Thanks for the info so I wouldn't need to have it connected to my computer at all, I leave my computer on 24/7 because I feed weather data to Wunderground Ive been doing that since 2005. I might look into that would you have a recommendation on which one to get preferably a plug and play. Thanks again
          Hmmm... if you're a plug&play only kind of person, then Raspberry Pi may not be up your alley. But you're not averse to at least a little bit of digging around (that's evidenced by your using this forum) so it could still be a 'Go!' for you. Go to the Raspberry Pi foundation's site at raspberrypi.org and take a look around first. Also check out the Raspberry Pi documentation on FR24 - I found it to be good.

For recommendations on the DVB-T dongle to use, consult the FR24 site - they have some recommendations (which I followed successfully).

You could also, after a bit of digging around, possibly hook up your weather station to the same RPi and feed Wunderground more greenly as well. But that's not an FR24 topic.

Cheers

Comment

• Hi, i have 2 raspberry Raspberry Pi 1 Model B working with DVB-T and feeding FR24, works good.

But i did a mistake in latitude and longitude, how to change it? how to run that config again?

thanks

btw, you need to use a charger with 2.0A or more, if not, you will get kernel panic and raspberri will not work.

Comment

• sudo service fr24feed - -reconfigure
              i have a 1.5A on my two rpi3 and works fine....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Also email support correct coord as it affects mlat

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• It is not only the current rating, but quality of regulation which counts. Also length & quality of usb wire from adaptor to Pi counts.

Regulated Power Supplies have:
                  (1) Good output voltage regulation (see diagrams 1 & 2 ), so that:
                  --- No-load voltage is not too high from rated voltage.
                  --- Full-load voltage is not too low from rated voltage.

(2) Filtering of ac ripple so that output dc voltage is constant (see diagram 3)

Diagram 1 - variation of output dc voltage with load current.

Diagram 2 - Comparison of Regulated switching mode vs Unregulated dc supply.

Diagram 3 - Ripple in dc output before (gray) and after (red) regulation & filtering.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrcarlos View Post
                    sudo service fr24feed - -reconfigure
                    i have a 1.5A on my two rpi3 and works fine....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

that command doesnt exist.

Comment

• Hi gents/ladies

Am a newbie at the raspi/dvb combo. have managed to assemble and start feeding to FR24 recently.

Why does the FR24 feed status page show the feeder as offline even though it is online and feeding data? I'm standing next to it and logged in on tty and can see the data flow but fr24 shows it as offline? Hows that?

Thanx in advance for any replies

Comment

• Originally posted by JacknCoke View Post
                        Hi gents/ladies

Am a newbie at the raspi/dvb combo. have managed to assemble and start feeding to FR24 recently.

Why does the FR24 feed status page show the feeder as offline even though it is online and feeding data? I'm standing next to it and logged in on tty and can see the data flow but fr24 shows it as offline? Hows that?

Thanx in advance for any replies
                        What method/data flow are you monitoring? If you have it in visual dump1090 mode you won't be uploading as the data can't be read from the stick output. If it is not actually sending valid data via the feeder, itll show offline (or if you have incorrect GPS details on sign up, your data will be shut down as bad)
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Raspi/dvb

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          What method/data flow are you monitoring? If you have it in visual dump1090 mode you won't be uploading as the data can't be read from the stick output. If it is not actually sending valid data via the feeder, itll show offline (or if you have incorrect GPS details on sign up, your data will be shut down as bad)
                          Hi Oblivian. thanx for the reply.

am trying to watch on "sudo service fr24feed status" as well as "ifconfig wlan0" via putty. both show activity and data flow respectively. But the fr24 status page shows my feed as offline. The position data is accurate and till last night fr24 feed status was online.

Happy to get the help!! Cheers

Comment

• Hi all

Update to my last, the raspi is now up and running. Has been online for the last 14+ hours with no hiccups!! FR24 account statistics page shows data received and positions. MLAT is also active on the device. Thanx all for their help.

Does anybody here have experience on the raspi stopping data flow / going offline on its own even though still powered? Happened twice yesterday and not since then?? Hows that? and what can i do to avoid this? I had to restart the raspi each time!

Thanx

Comment

• hello, why radar shows like offline?

RADAR: T-XXXX1 STATUS: Offline LAST UPLOAD (5MIN): 2016-05-19 05:38:10

Comment

• Hi all

Raspi seems to hang occassionally???!! Had to write a cron reboot schedule to keep it online 24/7

Anybody else have this problem? Also any foolproof way to remotely access the pi over the net?

Thanx

Comment

Working...
                                X