Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    I have a B+ running as a feeder - document to follow, adding WiFi motes since so many wanted to know how (I wonder if it will still fit a 1Gb card)
    Hehehehe - that's why it is good to plan ahead. Why you used a 1 Gb CARD ?

The Pi B has 4 Gb SD card - but I opt for the 8 GB card at a small higher cost. LOL
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdie View Post
      Hehehehe - that's why it is good to plan ahead. Why you used a 1 Gb CARD ?

The Pi B has 4 Gb SD card - but I opt for the 8 GB card at a small higher cost. LOL
      Because I will make an image of the file to share out, The image will be small and can be installed to any size card and the file system can be expanded to fill the card.

If I use one of my 16Gb cards and install no-obs - then the download will be 4gb and you will REQUIRE a 16gb card to copy the image to.

Comment

• See post 8 for Pi B / B+ setup doc

I still have to complete image prep and up-load

Comment

• Hey,

Good news, PI b+ working fine with the dongle and picking up aircraft. Had a few problems making the Dump1090 but got it all sorted.
          Just need to add my Feeder key now.

Its good to be back to a Linux OS after a long time away from one lol.

If there is any problems, I'll be sure to post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawke View Post
            Hey,

Good news, PI b+ working fine with the dongle and picking up aircraft. Had a few problems making the Dump1090 but got it all sorted.
            Just need to add my Feeder key now.

Its good to be back to a Linux OS after a long time away from one lol.

If there is any problems, I'll be sure to post.
            Excellent - we're expecting a new version of dump1090 soon that everyone who is near an airport should switch to since it removes a bug concerning ground traffic movement.

See post #8 for updated build instructions and Pi images (just need to go tidy post 8)

Comment

• Peter,
              When using the pre-written image, do I expand the sd card to fill the 8gb card before or after I have written the image file to the card?
              T-EGCC59: http://radar-sw.no-ip.biz/VirtualRadar/
              Raspberry Pi, Dump1090, ADS-B RTL2832 Dongle, Bulgarian Collinear 8m AGL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mutt08 View Post
                Peter,
                When using the pre-written image, do I expand the sd card to fill the 8gb card before or after I have written the image file to the card?
                download to a PC (900k)
                unzip (just under 4Gb)
                use win32diskimager to copy to the SD card - take care here not to copy the SDcard over the image file
                pop it into the pi
                logon to the Pi as username pi, password raspberry
                then do "sudo raspi-config"

(the actual used space is just over 2Gb - so if all you're using it for is FR24, you may not need to bother with the expansion)

Comment

• I did not see my change request in dump1090 yet. So for the hobbyists (on your own risk):

In net_io.c I changed lines 373-375. (MalcolmRobb fork of dump1090)

Was:
                  // Field 13 and 14 are the ground Speed and Heading (if we have them)
                  if (mm->bFlags & MODES_ACFLAGS_NSEWSPD_VALID) {p += sprintf(p, ",%d,%d", mm->velocity, mm->heading);}
                  else {p += sprintf(p, ",,");}

Changed to:
                  // Field 13 and 14 are the ground Speed and Heading (if we have them)
                  if (mm->bFlags & MODES_ACFLAGS_NSEWSPD_VALID)
                  {
                  p += sprintf(p, ",%d,%d", mm->velocity, mm->heading);
                  }
                  else
                  {
                  if (mm->bFlags & MODES_ACFLAGS_SPEED_VALID)
                  {
                  p += sprintf(p, ",%d", mm->velocity);
                  }
                  else
                  {
                  p += sprintf(p, ",");
                  }
                  if (mm->bFlags & MODES_ACFLAGS_HEADING_VALID)
                  {
                  p += sprintf(p, ",%d", mm->heading);
                  }
                  else
                  {
                  p += sprintf(p, ",");
                  }
                  }

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrie45 View Post
                    I did not see my change request in dump1090 yet. So for the hobbyists (on your own risk):
                    Works wonderfully since yesterday.
                    | T-EDDB8 |T-EDDB28 | Virtual Radar | Dump1090 | ModesMixer2 |

Comment

• What does the change of code do? Sorry haven't been following the thread, been playing with the PI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                        What does the change of code do? Sorry haven't been following the thread, been playing with the PI.
                        The original code does not send speed and heading to FR24; only position. FR24 uses the last speed and heading for extrapolation. So with the original software, when the plane has landed, on the FR24 web page, it makes strange 'moves' because it uses the 'just before landing' speed and heading. My code change provides speed and heading to FR24 even when the plane has landed.

Note: The software in this thread works correctly in this respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrie45 View Post
                          The original code does not send speed and heading to FR24; only position. FR24 uses the last speed and heading for extrapolation. So with the original software, when the plane has landed, on the FR24 web page, it makes strange 'moves' because it uses the 'just before landing' speed and heading. My code change provides speed and heading to FR24 even when the plane has landed.

Note: The software in this thread works correctly in this respect.
                          Ah right, I'll go and change the code now then.

Comment

• New dump1090 (MalcolmRobb) available now. This version includes my patch.

Comment

• pi up and running nice but my planes have been doing strange things. I have been trying to update dump1090 to latest version with above script added. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Totaly new to linux but not scared, just a bit unsure on parenthesis rules in above text otherwise id use nano to fix it. Any thoughts welcome.
                              Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen P View Post
                                pi up and running nice but my planes have been doing strange things. I have been trying to update dump1090 to latest version with above script added. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Totaly new to linux but not scared, just a bit unsure on parenthesis rules in above text otherwise id use nano to fix it. Any thoughts welcome.
                                Thanks
                                I'll have a look tonight, but one thing you need to do is to move the old dump1090 out of the way first.
                                so
                                once you have logged in
                                make sure you are in the home folder - cd ~
                                kill off dump1090 - killall dump1090
                                move the folder to one side - mv dump1090 dump1090.old

Comment

Working...
                                X