No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are right about the extrapolation part. I have seen many airplanes 'shooting' off the runway. But, what I have seen with my Windows feeder, they always use the last heading and speed. What I see is that the heading and speed is not updated at the FR24 site. In the dump1090 output the heading and speed is shown correctly. ADSB is not switched off at the time I made the screenshots. (Dump1090 still updating)
    BTW1 I switched to the RPi feeder. Same results.
    BTW2 cron task @reboot still not working

Another example. Screenshots were made quickly after another.
    dump1090_ok.jpg
    wrong_track.jpg

Switched to my Windows feeder. The Windows feeder gives the correct heading and speed.
    laptop_ok.jpg
    Last edited by Harrie45; 2014-07-19, 10:58. Reason: added another example; added laptop output

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrie45 View Post
      BTW2 cron task @reboot still not working
      Looks to work after a power cycle, not after a reboot command.

Comment

• In 3 weeks or so we'll have a new image - for Raspberry Pi B and for the new B+ ... just waiting for a new minimal Raspberian that works on both.

Comment

• I did some investigation myself (what can you do else with a little fever and an outside temperature of 33C)
          I monitored the TCP30003 output of dump1090.
          I found out that the dump1090 output does not contain any message with speed and/or track information as soon as the plane has landed. For FR24 to operate well, this info should be provided by dump1090. Bug in dump1090?

For people interested in the tcp30003 output, I made a .csv file that can be read by Excel. It can be found here.

Comment

• All those people wanting to wifi and not finding compatible dongles or not wanting to do complicated setup?

Have a look at the Vonets VAP11G (ebay, amazon) - apparently you plug it into a windows PC and use the supplied software to configure in the wifi SSID and password.

Once configured you plug it into your Pi (or other device) and 5v supply (handy USB port) - and you have a connection. The Pi thinks it's using wired Ethernet.

Comment

I found out that the dump1090 output does not contain any message with speed and/or track information as soon as the plane has landed. For FR24 to operate well, this info should be provided by dump1090. Bug in dump1090?
              That explains why in Virtual Radar I can plot the altitude down to ground level at Manchester but then the speed always freezes at touch down speed until the adsb is switched off.
              T-EGCC59: http://radar-sw.no-ip.biz/VirtualRadar/
              Raspberry Pi, Dump1090, ADS-B RTL2832 Dongle, Bulgarian Collinear 8m AGL.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                In 3 weeks or so we'll have a new image - for Raspberry Pi B and for the new B+ ... just waiting for a new minimal Raspberian that works on both.
                Hi Peterhr, thanks for your efforts on this thread.

Its already more than 739 postings and many thing have developed / changed / got complicated.

Could you kindly put out a Summary of what to do / install to get the Pi working with the dongle - so those computer illiterates ( like me ) can simply follow and get it to work.

I am sure this could help many others who wanted to come on the air - but discouraged by the complexity of the software needed.

LOL

Note : I bought 2 Dongles & 2 Pi but did nothing yet bcos I got confused as I read thru the postings.
                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• See post #8, it has been continuously updated with what is required. It links to a PDF of instructions, a pre built SD card image (that needs an feeder update) and a shell script

post 8 does carry additional notes to supplement the attached docs.

There are two approaches:
                  1. Down load the operating system install it onto the SD card then install all the software on it
                  (I did this got the system working then removed my sharing key and saved the SD card imaged)

or

2. Download the SD card image, copy it to an SD card (1GB is fine) - edit the start up script to add your sharing key ... you have a working system.

All the rest of the thread is about issues people have had making this work - usually power supply issues, antennas, wifi and it got struck by lightening.

For wifi i have ordered a 'Vonets VAP11G' - moves the issues off the Pi.

There will be a new image soon (for the new Pi B+, presently I'm waiting for new minimal Rasbarian Linux version to be made available)
                  Last edited by peterhr; 2014-07-20, 06:17.

Comment

• Thanks Peterhr for your effort.
                    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• I had a look at the dump1090 source code and made some changes that solved my problem. I proposed the changes to the main developer and asked him to incorporate the changes.

Comment

I had a look at the dump1090 source code and made some changes that solved my problem. I proposed the changes to the main developer and asked him to incorporate the changes.
                        Could you also feed your changes to support@fr24.com - they are creating their own receiver software and they may be working from the same codebase.

Comment

I had a look at the dump1090 source code and made some changes that solved my problem. I proposed the changes to the main developer and asked him to incorporate the changes.
                          Good news bugging me for a long time this bug. MalcolmRobb is the first address for any code changes, by antirez the original maintainer is not a lot of movement for some time.

"allway ground overrun bug" feed over dump1090
                          19.07.14.flightradar.jpg

feed over rebroadcast server from VitrualRadar
                          19.07.14.flightradar1.jpg
                          | T-EDDB8 |T-EDDB28 | Virtual Radar | Dump1090 | ModesMixer2 |

Comment

• I was thinking of a Pi setup like Peter's but going through all the info to buy this, get that, download this yada yada. It just gave me a headache just reading the wealth of info and problem issues. Being an individual who's electronic knowledge can fit on my small finger nail. I just decided on the basic setup of Dongle into PC and FR24beta for Windows, which does away with the need to run RTL1090 with the regular FR24 feeder. Thus, reducing performance on my pc by 80%.

However, there is an opportunity here for the knowledgeable to create a small business in purchasing these items, doing the software install/running etc and once the Pi is running (error free), sell it to the end user, price agreed prior. The buyer then only has to put their sharing key in, plug into router and they are good to go :-)
                            T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
                            Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
                            Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
                              I was thinking of a Pi setup like Peter's but going through all the info to buy this, get that, download this yada yada. It just gave me a headache just reading the wealth of info and problem issues. Being an individual who's electronic knowledge can fit on my small finger nail. I just decided on the basic setup of Dongle into PC and FR24beta for Windows, which does away with the need to run RTL1090 with the regular FR24 feeder. Thus, reducing performance on my pc by 80%.

However, there is an opportunity here for the knowledgeable to create a small business in purchasing these items, doing the software install/running etc and once the Pi is running (error free), sell it to the end user, price agreed prior. The buyer then only has to put their sharing key in, plug into router and they are good to go :-)
                              But the end user should upgrade the software they are using from time to time - and if they buy it pre-built, they won't do it. I do think there might be a little biz somewhere there for people to supply pre-setup SD cards complete with sharing key. The cost being the SD card, postage and a small amount to cover the effort made.

---

The guide has been written so someone with no Linux knowledge can get a Pi based receiver working. They just need to get over the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Distrust) that they won't manage it. To start with they need a Pi model B (or soon B+), power supply (borrow the one from a modern phone), memory card, dongle and dongle antenna.

Download an image and copy it to the memory card (uses a windows PC)
                              put the memory card into the Pi ... and plug the other stuff into the holes where it fits
                              connect the Pi to the home network and power on

Now we get to the worst part - what't network address is the Pi been granted by the router and you only need to know this one time.

Windows you don't care ... you have a keyboard mouse and screen so you can interact with it - you can do the same with the Pi if you plug a keyboard in and a TV (login and do ifconfig)

If you have an Android device (or maybe an i Device) you can download 'Fing' and do a quick scan, or maybe login to the router and look at the DHCP reservations.

Once you know the address - you can use windows application 'PutTTy' to remote control the linux.

All the stuff done after putting the sharing key is tweaking and improving (upgrading from white y-fronts to superman boxer shorts).

The real advantages of running on the Pi is it's low power consumption and you get the windows PC back.

Comment

• Hi Peter,

I guess you're right. It's ok to get someone else to do the leg-work but come a time for software update and it would be, "I CBA, so I'll leave it as it is".

I did try to download the SD image from your Google drive lastnight but the folder was empty, as I thought the only way to do it, is to do it yourself and if the image is already on an SD card, once I've put my Network address and my sharing key in. I can take a backup of the whole SD card in worse case scenario.

Doing it from scratch, I would be FUD but doing it from the point of an SD Image. I could cope with that and at least, I could leave the Pi running 100% of the time, whereas at present, I switch off my pc at night and turn it back on upon returning from work.

Only question is, if I download an image to pc and then over to SD Card (as I have a SD card slot on my pc) how would I insert my Network address and sharing key? Would you edit it before copying to SD Card, or do you have to edit SD Card once it is in the Pi?

Edited to add the following...

Also, just been on eBay and they are selling the B+, would it be beneficial to buy the B+ (B plus) now or just stick with the model B?
                                Last edited by Responder; 2014-07-22, 17:53. Reason: Added extra sentence.
                                T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
                                Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
                                Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

Working...
                                X