No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like some hardware/power issue. I was using a powered USB HUB for the dongle and a smartcard reader.
    Now I moved the smartcard reader into the rpi USB port and no more hangups, yet.
    I'll keep monitoring the device during the night.

After editing my files, under Windows, I always run dos2unix, to be on the safe side.

Comment

• @PeterHR:
      i have updated to the latest Dump1090 Version, where can i find your excellent pdf-File to start the pi again ?
      It seems that the one on Google Drive doesnt show up correctly for me

Thanks in advance !

Edit: Ok, i logged in to my Google+-Account..then it worked. thanks for the help!
      Last edited by Lorsde; 2014-03-28, 18:16.
      near HAM // F-EDDH1 FR24 Box // T-EDDH14 Raspberry Pi - DVB-T Dongle

Comment

• See post #8.

Comment

• Thanks so much peterhr! I was able to install the image on an SD card for a Raspberry Pi and get it running easily. At first it was a bit confusing until I realized that I didn't need to do all of the steps in your PDF file since you had done these an incorporated them into the image.
          I'm waiting for my sharing key to upload data to the site. It looks like I'll only have to modify the fr24.sh file with my key to start sharing.
          I used a generic DVB-T stick and it's running fine. I'll need to get a better antenna and I'll install it out in the garden shed for better exposure. It was a bit of a hassle getting the WiFi adapter set up but that is running fine now so I don't have to run cable out to the shed.
          Currently with the antenna inside, I get a lot of listings with an ICAO hex id and altitude only. Some of them also have flight numbers, speed and track. I don't know if this is just because of a weak antenna or if these flights are just not broadcasting the additional information.
          Again, thanks very much for the Pi image and information.

Comment

• Having it indoors could be one reason why you're not getting the ADS-B data, my antenna is outside and at distance (~160-200nm) I only get MODE-S data but isn't until the aircraft is within 160mn that I get the ADS-B data. Also not all aircraft have the addition of ADS-B to the MODE-S transponder. The QantasLink Dash-8's (200, 300 and 400 series) only have MODE-S (only get the ICAO24 ident, Altitude and Squawk code) and not yet fitted with ADS-B.

Example;
            Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 2.19.04 PM.png
            F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• It looks like I'm only getting the Mode-S data on a lot of the flights. I do get -B data on some of the commercial flights.
              We'll see what happens when I get it installed with a better antenna.

Comment

• Not all planes transmit full data. The ones that don't have the position triangulated by fr24 receivers and MLAT.

I use homeplugs to get data back to the router ... Easier than WiFi

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by mspohr View Post
                  It was a bit of a hassle getting the WiFi adapter set up but that is running fine now so I don't have to run cable out to the shed.
                  Again, thanks very much for the Pi image and information.
                  I've tried 2 wireless dongles with the peterhr cut down image but have had no success. I got stuck with setting up WPA Supplicant. What make/model is your wireless dongle and can you let me know what you had to install?

Thanks
                  T-EGUB1

Comment

• Raspberry Pi WiFi setup

You have to edit two files:
                    nano /etc/network/interfaces
                    Add these lines:
                    allow-hotplug wlan0
                    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
                    iface default inet dhcp

Then edit the wpa_supplicant.conf
                    nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
                    Add these lines:
                    ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
                    update_config=1

network={
                    ssid="YOURSSID"
                    psk="YOURPASSWORD"

# Protocol type can be: RSN (for WP2) and WPA (for WPA1)
                    proto=WPA

# Key management type can be: WPA-PSK or WPA-EAP (Pre-Shared or Enterprise)
                    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

# Pairwise can be CCMP or TKIP (for WPA2 or WPA1)
                    pairwise=TKIP

#Authorization option should be OPEN for both WPA1/WPA2 (in less commonly used are SHARED and LEAP)
                    auth_alg=OPEN
                    }

I don't have a password on my WiFi (open for guests) so the wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:
                    ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
                    update_config=1
                    network={
                    ssid="YOURSSID"
                    key_mgmt=NONE
                    auth_alg=OPEN
                    }

Here are some references:
                    You configured your headless Raspberry Pi just the way you want it, it's settled in and running smoothly, but suddenly you want to move it away from its Ethernet tether with a Wi-Fi module.

Although the Raspberry Pi comes only with an Ethernet port, it can also connect to WiFi. All it needs is a WiFi USB dongle and some simple configurations.

My WiFi adapter is Edimax EW-7811Un
                    Last edited by mspohr; 2014-03-30, 17:55. Reason: add info

Comment

• I received my sharing key (on the weekend, no less) and am successfully feeding data!
                      I put together a simple 1/4 wave ground plane antenna and this at least doubled my range.
                      I've installed the Pi in my shed and now I get about 30 or 40 flights on the dump1090 list. Interesting that most of these don't have -B data, just -S. I've looked up the ICAO codes of some of the -S only flights and these are large jets 737, etc. run by airlines but they're not sending -B data. I do get -B data from flights at 200km so I don't think that is an issue.
                      Best coverage is to the South and West from here (I'm just East of Donner Summit and the Sierras block my view to the West) but I do get good coverage of what appears to be a major route from San Francisco Bay area to the East which goes about 200 km south of here.

Comment

• Congratulations!
                        Thanks for the information regarding your wireless setup. It looks pretty similar to mine. I'll start up the Pi this evening and report back on the error messages.
                        T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
                          Thanks for the information regarding your wireless setup. It looks pretty similar to mine. I'll start up the Pi this evening and report back on the error messages.
                          Correct me if i'm wrong.
                          The question is works the wireless setup together with the by Peter recommended Raspbian Wheezy armhf Raspberry Pi minimal image. I think the answer is no, i think you need first install the wireless-tools manually before it works
                          Last edited by Laserboy; 2014-04-07, 13:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laserboy View Post
                            Correct me if i'm wrong.
                            The question is works the wireless setup together with the by Peter recommended Raspbian Wheezy armhf Raspberry Pi minimal image. I think the answer is no, i think you need first install the wireless-tools manually before it works
                            Thanks for the link I'll take a look later.

I have installed the firmware for the dongle (ralink), wpasupplicant and wireless-tools. The dongle is a D-Link DWA-125 At some stage I also installed RTL8188EU drivers.

The error I get is something like "could not get status from wpa_supplicant. Failed to enable network in wpa_supplicant. The system gets into a loop with the error repeating over and over.

I put this on the back burner whilst playing with antennas so haven't looked at it for over a month.
                            T-EGUB1

Comment

• Hello all... First post to this forum...
                              Just got my RasPi up and running with dump1090 and fr24dfeed_arm-le_242s... using the instructions in this thread.. pretty easy..
                              I am feeding in but have not got my antenna up in the air yet.
                              Next is to mount the raspi in a weatherproof box and set it up for Power over Ethernet.. and build an antenna. (hopefully done by next week)..
                              One question.. is it ok to mount the RTL dongle and the pi in very close proximity inside a weatherproof box, or should the dongle be sheilded away from the Pi.
                              I usually mount my pi s in plastic electrical outlet boxes with weather covers (pi cam security cameras)... wonder if the pi would cause interference to the RTL dongle jammed into that small a box.

Anyway... this if fun.. and even though my area has pretty good coverage already.. it is fun to see my radar ID show up or the flightradar24 website :-)

Comment

• I have the dongle plugged directly into the Pi USB and no problems.
                                I also have the antenna (1/4 wave ground plane) plugged directly into the dongle.
                                Compact installation.

Comment

Working...
                                X