Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PeterHing View Post
    Just want to say a personal thanks to you all and peterhr for the step-by-step guide to setting up my pi. I've managed to do it in about an hour without any experience of Linux!

I'm now feeding successfully to fr24 and no longer have to use my power hungry laptop!

Pete
    Excellent, hopefully not only do you have a working solution, but you also have gained a toehold into Linux and do know why each step was needed.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• It looks like my issues are kernel related.
      Anyone using the latest kernel? Is there any way to downgrade?

What OS are you using guys? I'm on raspbian.

Comment

• Have a look at post #326, Jayant has had problems with the newer kernel

alternative is to download the installed image I made 5 months ago (post #8) - that hasn't been updated since then so has an old kernal.

Comment

• I've made the install using "cmake ../ -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON".
          Still no joy. Today I'll reformat the stick and reisntall everything, for the 3rd time in 7 days.

BTW this is the error I see on the monitor:
          Code:
          [ 3598.195521 ] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000015
          [ 3598.211514 ] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at vurtual address 00000065
          [ 3598.226243 ] pgd = dda98000
          [ 3598.235731 ] [00000065] *pgd=1da4d831, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
          [ 3598.249003 ] Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1] PREEMPT ARM

Entering kdb (current=0xdda78c60, pid 156) Oops: (null)
          due to oops @ 0xc0341018

dCPU: 0 PID: 156 Comm: udevd Not tainted 3.10.24+ #614
          dtask: dda78c60 ti:dda40000 task.ti: dda40000
          PC is at __skb_recv_datagram+0x70/0x320
          LR is at skb_recv_datagram+0x30/0x38
          pc : [<c0341018>]	lr : [<c03412f8>]	psr : a0000093
          sp : dda41ce8	ip : 00000000	fp : 00000000
          r10: dda41d44	r9 : 00000000	r8 : dda57c00
          r7 : dda41d40	r6 : dda57c44	r5 : dda40000	r4 : dda57c00
          r3 : 00000001	r2 : 20000013	r1 : 00000000	r0 : 00000000
          Flags: NzCv IRQs off FIQs on Mode SVC_32 ISA ARM Segment user
          Control: 00c5387d Table: 1da98008 DAC: 00000015
          dCPU: 0 PID: 156 Comm: udevd Not tainted 3.10.24+ #614
          [<c00139f8>] (unwind_backtrace+0x0/0xf0) from [<c0010d5c>] (show_stack+0x10/0x14)
          [<c0010d5c>] (show_stack+0x10/0x14) from [<c0076940>] (kdb_dumpregs+0x28/0x50)
          [<c0076940>] (show_dumpregs+0x28/0x50) from [<c0078bb0>] (kbd_main_loop+03c8/0x6c0)
          [<c0078bb0>] (kbd_main_loop+03c0/0x6c0) from [<c007b2b0>] (kbd_stub+0x154/0x380)
          more>
          Last edited by loplo; 2013-12-29, 12:05.

Comment

• Memory problem (usb stick / flash or on RAM board) or power issue ???

Comment

• Memory/hardware excluded, power source too.
              Now I'm on the 20 dec 2013 raspbian image without any OS update/upgrade and fr24 is running fine.

rtl-sdr was compiled with "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON -Wno-dev ../" - found on some site.
              + I've created blacklist.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ and added:
              Code:
              blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
              blacklist rtl2830
              blacklist rtl2832
              blacklist dvb_usb_v2
              blacklist dvb_core
              I donno if this or not running update/upgrade helped, but now my feed is up and running without any other problems.
              Somehow, I'm afraid to run apt-get update/upgrade.

Comment

• The new kernel driver problem affects dump1090, not FR24. This is due to a conflict between the default driver loaded by the kernel and our RTL-SDR drivers.

The problem shown in your message doesn't seem to be the driver issue though.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
                T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Guess I might need to get second Pi so I can do offline rebuilds of the stuff put together for the write up, to keep the doc up to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                    I've bought a new 2Gb SD card [today, hard to find that small] and am building a new install from scratch on it, writing down all the steps to get it going, with a view to
                    * publishing the write up (here?),
                    * publishing an SD card image file (almost ready to go - for the less technical)
                    * publishing instructions how to install use the image and set up your own radar.

The more technical will just be able to do parts of 1 & 3 to do it from scratch themselves.
                    ----
                    Without doing the ADSB stuff the SD card has just 165Kb left once Wheezy Linux is installed - so you'll need a 4Gb card or bigger (I need to do it on 2GB [if i can] so we don't end up with an oversized image file)

Do get a proper plastic case for the Pi - it's all to easy to wreck the SD card holder without one (then you have to unsolder it, get a new one and solder it on) - the case holds the SD card in the correct position.
                    Also do get a short USB extension to fit between the PI and the tuner - so you don't get the antenna connector pulling the dongle one way while the PI is holding it in place by the USB plug.
                    ----
                    Will complete the write up tomorrow (probably)
                    Hello,

I've just started reading through this thread, and I'm somewhat confused about a certain point here.

Am I supposed to write the 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbarian image to the SD card or, is the PHimage-Pi-RTL2832-FR24-2013-24a.img and alternative file that I should be writing to the SDcard and then following the setup instructions in the included Google Drive?

I do not see anywhere where I would be adding the PHxxx image file after the Wheezy image if I am supposed to do it that way.

I've never had any experience with a RasPi or the RTL Dongle either one, so this is all new to me, and I'm only a beginner with Linux, but, not with computers overall.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by glen4cindy View Post
                      Hello,

I've just started reading through this thread, and I'm somewhat confused about a certain point here.

Am I supposed to write the 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbarian image to the SD card or, is the PHimage-Pi-RTL2832-FR24-2013-24a.img and alternative file that I should be writing to the SDcard and then following the setup instructions in the included Google Drive?

I do not see anywhere where I would be adding the PHxxx image file after the Wheezy image if I am supposed to do it that way.

I've never had any experience with a RasPi or the RTL Dongle either one, so this is all new to me, and I'm only a beginner with Linux, but, not with computers overall.

Thanks in advance.
                      The write up was made using Raspberian 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbarian (latest at the time of writing).

Once I had a working config, I removed my FR2 key and saved the SDcard image as PHimage-Pi-RTL2832-FR24-2013-24a.img

... you could restore that image, add your FR24 key and you should have an almost working radar [some errors in scripts were found after uploading the image, the upload takes hours so was not repeated]

... the scripts that needed changes were put on the google drive and need applying to the restored PHimage-Pi-RTL2832-FR24-2013-24a.img image (and can be used by those building from scratch)

---

New Raspbarian Wheezy distributions [since the write up was done] include drivers for the TV tuner dongle as part of the Linux.

Since we don't use the dongle as a TV tuner - these need to be disabled - see member loplo and Jayent posts above if using a new Rasbarian image or are updating / upgrading your Wheezy.

The guide is now in need of a rewrite to take this into account, and that needs time and equipment (unless I take my running radar down to do it).

Remember, before running major updates on your Pi software, take an image of the SD card to work on so you can get back to what you had before.
                      Last edited by peterhr; 2014-01-01, 08:42.

Comment

• I'm sticking with the 2013-07-26 distribution as my FR24 feed is running 24/7, the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" works well with Windows, and it seems in this case with Linux.

I was a complete newbie to Linux and the Pi as well, but with help from Peter and others on this forum soon got up and running.

John
                        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• Do we have any experience on the forum regarding the PI and the network interface going bad?
                          After a slight thunderstorm and power failure, my PI is not on the network. A basic IFCONFIG (local logon) shows me its Transmitting data, but not Receiving anything. All other network equipment is working fine... (all of it was again power cycled and checked).... I swopped network cables, other port on the switch, even edited /etc/interfaces/network to change the IP address (as a last resort test)... No Joy.

Even went so far and used my previous installs SD card and get the same results.

As the saying in Africa goes: Do I now plant my Pi?

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                            Do we have any experience on the forum regarding the PI and the network interface going bad?
                            After a slight thunderstorm and power failure, my PI is not on the network. A basic IFCONFIG (local logon) shows me its Transmitting data, but not Receiving anything. All other network equipment is working fine... (all of it was again power cycled and checked).... I swopped network cables, other port on the switch, even edited /etc/interfaces/network to change the IP address (as a last resort test)... No Joy.

Even went so far and used my previous installs SD card and get the same results.

As the saying in Africa goes: Do I now plant my Pi?
                            Did you check your power supply?
                            Maybe suffered some damage caused by the thunderstorm.

Good luck..
                            Marco-Luis
                            YV1HX
                            F-SVMC1

http://twitter.com/meteoven
                            http://yv1hx.no-ip.org
                            http://www.meteoven.org

Comment

• Could try something like one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181262269944 maybe - but otherwise I guess you plant the pi and see if it grows into a PC.

Comment

• I will do the power supply elimination later today. Else, i will find an old PC, get it up and running with our distro and the rest of out goodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X