Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milair View Post
    just shut port 22 now !! I tried setting ssh on my superhub2 to forward to port 40000 but the connection timed out .. does work using port 22 .. till I removed !
    Moved mine to 40000 public to map to 8080 private. (and updated the sig)

Comment

• Originally posted by milair
      Sorry am I missing something here Peter ? Is this mapping done in the RPi or your hub ??
      I have a Draytek Vigor ADSL router - it's done there in the firewall config.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        I have a Draytek Vigor ADSL router - it's done there in the firewall config.
        I have Virgin Superhub 2 (Netgear) and I assumed it was in the Port Forwarding section, but the only one that works there is 8080. I'm going to give up before I let a load of nasties in !!
        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• Dump 1090 has the following parameters
          Code:
          pi@raspberrypi ~/dump1090 $ ./dump1090 --help
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          |                        dump1090 ModeS Receiver         Ver : 1.07.1908.13 |
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          --device-index <index>   Select RTL device (default: 0)
          --gain <db>              Set gain (default: max gain. Use -100 for auto-gain)
          --enable-agc             Enable the Automatic Gain Control (default: off)
          --freq <hz>              Set frequency (default: 1090 Mhz)
          --ifile <filename>       Read data from file (use '-' for stdin)
          --interactive            Interactive mode refreshing data on screen
          --interactive-rows <num> Max number of rows in interactive mode (default: 15)
          --interactive-ttl <sec>  Remove from list if idle for <sec> (default: 60)
          --interactive-rtl1090    Display flight table in RTL1090 format
          --raw                    Show only messages hex values
          --net                    Enable networking
          --modeac                 Enable decoding of SSR Modes 3/A & 3/C
          --net-beast              TCP raw output in Beast binary format
          --net-only               Enable just networking, no RTL device or file used
          --net-http-port <port>   HTTP server port (default: 8080)
          --net-ri-port <port>     TCP raw input listen port  (default: 30001)
          --net-ro-port <port>     TCP raw output listen port (default: 30002)
          --net-sbs-port <port>    TCP BaseStation output listen port (default: 30003)
          --net-bi-port <port>     TCP Beast input listen port  (default: 30004)
          --net-bo-port <port>     TCP Beast output listen port (default: 30005)
          --net-ro-size <size>     TCP raw output minimum size (default: 0)
          --net-ro-rate <rate>     TCP raw output memory flush rate (default: 0)
          --lat <latitude>         Reference/receiver latitide for surface posn (opt)
          --lon <longitude>        Reference/receiver longitude for surface posn (opt)
          --fix                    Enable single-bits error correction using CRC
          --no-fix                 Disable single-bits error correction using CRC
          --no-crc-check           Disable messages with broken CRC (discouraged)
          --phase-enhance          Enable phase enhancement
          --aggressive             More CPU for more messages (two bits fixes, ...)
          --mlat                   display raw messages in Beast ascii mode
          --stats                  With --ifile print stats at exit. No other output
          --onlyaddr               Show only ICAO addresses (testing purposes)
          --metric                 Use metric units (meters, km/h, ...)
          --snip <level>           Strip IQ file removing samples < level
          --debug <flags>          Debug mode (verbose), see README for details
          --quiet                  Disable output to stdout. Use for daemon applications
          --ppm <error>            Set receiver error in parts per million (default 0)
          --help                   Show this help

Debug mode flags: d = Log frames decoded with errors
                            D = Log frames decoded with zero errors
                            c = Log frames with bad CRC
                            C = Log frames with good CRC
                            p = Log frames with bad preamble
                            n = Log network debugging info
                            j = Log frames to frames.js, loadable by debug.html
          pi@raspberrypi ~/dump1090 $
          The one we want is --net-http-port
          ... we can use that to change the http page to one of the other ports that is easy to open on the superhub.

Comment

• Thanks, I'm following now .. interesting to note the ppm <error> setting as I know I had to change this when using one of these to receive Airband, may try it out as the settings are still in the SDR Radio software.
            I've had enough for this weekend, I've just backed up the SD card and put the RPi back online, so if I do bu**er up anything I can easily get it back anyway.
            I presume that you need to stop dump1090 before changing the flags ?
            T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

Thanks, I'm following now .. interesting to note the ppm <error> setting as I know I had to change this when using one of these to receive Airband, may try it out as the settings are still in the SDR Radio software.
              I've had enough for this weekend, I've just backed up the SD card and put the RPi back online, so if I do bu**er up anything I can easily get it back anyway.
              I presume that you need to stop dump1090 before changing the flags ?
              Update the scipt, execute it, test to see if works. No need to stop it first.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I entered this but nothing changed and still outputs on 8080? Am I missing something (remember I know nothing about Linux)
                pi@raspberrypi ~/dump1090 $ ./dump1090 --net-http-port 40000 --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet > /dev/null &

Comment

I entered this but nothing changed and still outputs on 8080? Am I missing something (remember I know nothing about Linux)
                  pi@raspberrypi ~/dump1090 $ ./dump1090 --net-http-port 40000 --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet > /dev/null &
                  Don't know, the program help (on the version I'm using) suggested it should ... but this is user supported software, you can download the source and see if there's a limitation on the code (or try a port lower than 32000 that virgin will allow)

BTW. There's nothing special about Linux, al lot of this stuff can be done in windows in CMD scripts (only there the operating system is far heavier)

Comment

• Just came across this a article 'Hardening your pi' (not tried anything - so can't answer questions)

When I had traded in my Microsoft box for a Linux box, I wanted it to look and behave like the large $100K Unix boxes I had had the pleasure...

Note: this is about making it more reliable, not security against hackers.
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-14, 08:33.

Comment

• Hi Peter / all,

Last night, I came upon an interesting problem. I ran the apt-get update / upgrade on my Pi, and when I rebooted it after the latest update, dump1090 refused to run. There seemed to be a driver conflict for the rtl28xx DVB-T stick. The error I got was something like this:

Using device 0: ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
                      In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
                      (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6
                      Failed to open rtlsdr device #0

Some research told me that apparently this is caused by a conflict with the DVB-T kernel modules provided by the Linux kernel. There were two sugested remedies:

1) Blacklist the kernel modules using modprobe.d. You need to create a file /etc/modprobe.d/librtlsdr-blacklist.conf and put the following in it: "blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu" (Without the quotes). I tried this, and it didn't work - same error.

2) Option 2 - enable detaching the kernel module at compile time, when you build the rtl-sdr driver. This feature is disabled by default in the CMakeLists.txt file (for those interested, the changelog is here: http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.or....README.Debian

To enable it when building with cmake, you need the option: cmake ../ -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON

So the relevant section in your HowTo doc would become:

cd rtl-sdr
                      mkdir build
                      cd build
                      cmake ../ -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON
                      make
                      sudo make install
                      sudo ldconfig

I did this and it worked after a reboot. Everything is back online now. I have now removed the blacklist file I had placed in /etc/modprobe.d/ when trying out option one, and it works even without that, so obviously all I needed to do was to enable the DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON flag and rebuild the rtl-sdr driver source. You don't need to delete the existing rtl-sdr stuff - just rebuild it over the existing install if you have it already.

Just wanted to share this for everyone's benefit, in case anyone runs into this particular problem. Yet another reason to keep a spare SD card fully configured with your last working build, in case it dies on you and you're particularly concered about downtime of your radar :-)

Best
                      Jayant
                      T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
                        Hi Peter / all,

Last night, I came upon an interesting problem. I ran the apt-get update / upgrade on my Pi, and when I rebooted it after the latest update, dump1090 refused to run. There seemed to be a driver conflict for the rtl28xx DVB-T stick. The error I got was something like this:

Using device 0: ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
                        In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
                        (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6
                        Failed to open rtlsdr device #0

Some research told me that apparently this is caused by a conflict with the DVB-T kernel modules provided by the Linux kernel. There were two sugested remedies:

1) Blacklist the kernel modules using modprobe.d. You need to create a file /etc/modprobe.d/librtlsdr-blacklist.conf and put the following in it: "blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu" (Without the quotes). I tried this, and it didn't work - same error.

2) Option 2 - enable detaching the kernel module at compile time, when you build the rtl-sdr driver. This feature is disabled by default in the CMakeLists.txt file (for those interested, the changelog is here: http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.or....README.Debian

To enable it when building with cmake, you need the option: cmake ../ -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON

So the relevant section in your HowTo doc would become:

cd rtl-sdr
                        mkdir build
                        cd build
                        cmake ../ -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON
                        make
                        sudo make install
                        sudo ldconfig

I did this and it worked after a reboot. Everything is back online now. I have now removed the blacklist file I had placed in /etc/modprobe.d/ when trying out option one, and it works even without that, so obviously all I needed to do was to enable the DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON flag and rebuild the rtl-sdr driver source. You don't need to delete the existing rtl-sdr stuff - just rebuild it over the existing install if you have it already.

Just wanted to share this for everyone's benefit, in case anyone runs into this particular problem. Yet another reason to keep a spare SD card fully configured with your last working build, in case it dies on you and you're particularly concered about downtime of your radar :-)

Best
                        Jayant
                        Thanks Jayant

[docs on google drive updated]
                        Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-14, 18:29.

Comment

• Hey guys.
                          A few days back my SD card died and unfortunately I've lost all my scripts.
                          In a few days I've managed to install back everything but I have problems with my feed. It crashes at least once/day.
                          I have a feeling that fr24feed_arm-le_233s is the cause of my problems. Did someone encounter problems with it? Is there a better version somewhere to be found?

Comment

• 233s works for me without problem, but I do assume that dump1090 / fr24feed may prove unreliable (I have no basis for thinking this) but I do restart the two programs every 6 hours or so using the scripts in the doc at post #8 in this thread.
                            My pi runs unattended for weeks at a time.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thanks for your input.
                              I'll take a look at #8.
                              My major problem is that I'm leaving for 2 weeks and I don't want to see my feed going crazy.

Comment

• Just want to say a personal thanks to you all and peterhr for the step-by-step guide to setting up my pi. I've managed to do it in about an hour without any experience of Linux!

I'm now feeding successfully to fr24 and no longer have to use my power hungry laptop!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X