Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks interesting - I think Dump1010 emulates a Beast ADSB reciever
    looking at the instructions at http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/ - I'd see if selectin Beast and putting in the PI IP address (with port 30003) would do the trick.

Let us know how you get on

Comment

• Originally posted by attigliano View Post
      How do I make a coverage map from my Raspberry Pi + DVB-T Dongle?
      I have seen some pics where adsbscope was used.
      Installed adsbscope on my PC but it can't accept data from outside the PC?

Thanks

Poul
      OK,

I added --net-ro-port 31001 to the dump1090 parameters ... then restart dump1090
      downloaded the bugfix version if adsbscope from here http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/p...dsb_en.html#pc
      configured as specified in http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/
      * in other > network setup - use RTL1090
      * set it to raw-data client active
      ... and nothing happened
      * on other > network settings, clicked [ ] Normal ... got an error message, but it started plotting

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        OK,

I added --net-ro-port 31001 to the dump1090 parameters ... then restart dump1090
        downloaded the bugfix version if adsbscope from here http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/p...dsb_en.html#pc
        configured as specified in http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/
        * in other > network setup - use RTL1090
        * set it to raw-data client active
        ... and nothing happened
        * on other > network settings, clicked [ ] Normal ... got an error message, but it started plotting
        Thanks Peter

Now it's running after I clicked other > network > RAW-data Client active

Poul
        T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

• How can i change the IP for connecting to the Basestation. I doing a short test test with a LAN-connection, and the logfile still gives the old IP (WLAN-)address.

Code:
          [i]Source defined as Basestation
          [b]connecting to 192.168.178.xx:300xx
          [e]could not connect to BS
          [i]waiting 5 seconds
          Last edited by Laserboy; 2013-12-02, 10:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laserboy View Post
            How can i change the IP for connecting to the Basestation. I doing a short test test with a LAN-connection, and the logfile still gives the old IP (WLAN-)address.

Code:
            [i]Source defined as Basestation
            [b]connecting to 192.168.178.xx:300xx
            [e]could not connect to BS
            [i]waiting 5 seconds
            What software are we connecting from - if adsbscope, the writeup in http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/ says "Start by choosing other > Network > Network Setup from the menus.", then you can set the IP address of your Pi...

Comment

What software are we connecting from - if adsbscope, the writeup in http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/ says "Start by choosing other > Network > Network Setup from the menus.", then you can set the IP address of your Pi...
              Sorry for the possible misunderstanding. I talking about something else. I have the Raspberry Pi temporary for testing connected with an Ethernet cable (LAN). Normaly, the Raspberry is connected by a WiFi dongle. The RPi has received a new IP address by the router. But it looks like he can't connect (it looks like to BS) for feeding FR24. The log file says that the RPi attempts to connect with something that use the old WLAN IP address.

And yes, if have tried to connect ADSBScop to RPi to make a coverage map. But without succes. There is a connection, but I see no data.
              Last edited by Laserboy; 2013-12-02, 13:54.

Comment

• Two things:
                In the router setup, you should be able to set up a DHCP reservation to tell it to issue a specific ip address to a MAC address ... so tell it to issue the address it previously used for the wlan to wired LAN (it does mean changing it to the mac address of the dongle later) ... It would be nice if there was a parameter on fr24feed on linux to specify the IP address of the basestation emulator (dump1090) ... the address used seems to come down from the FR24 servers.

Post 273 onwards we discussed making adbscope work with dump1090 ... ADSBscope doesn't seem to connect reliably - I had to click into and out of raw mode to make it work ... you know when you've got comes, the right side of the screen suddenly fills with flight data.

Comment

• [del]AdsbScope works fine now, but how can i make a coverage map like this? http://forum.flightradar24.com/attac...0&d=1385916351[/del]

Got it, select 'maximum range' ;-)
                  Last edited by Laserboy; 2013-12-04, 16:56.

Comment

I had absolutely no problems with that - got a 8-22v in to 5v out regulator off ebay (Chinese seller, sold as 12v in) - this is installed at the Pi end

adaptors to put some volts down the spare pairs on the ethernet cable - then pushed 12v down the cable (but was aware I could go to - say - 18v if I had two much volt drop down the wire).

My final setup still uses the 12v (netgear adsl router) supply and the regulator, no POE ... but the 12v is also powering an in-line antenna amplifier (want to change that to 15v)

Trying to put 5v down the cat5 was a no-no ... to much volt drop to run the Pi on a 10m cable.
                    Just to update those who are trying out PoE: I have a 100 metre roll of cat5e connected up to test the voltage drop. With a power supply of 15.2V connected at one end, the voltage I get (with the load of a Pi and a dongle) is 12.7V at the business end, i.e 2.5V drop in 100 m of cat5e cable.

I guess the voltage drop will marginally go up (to about 2.8V) if I also try to run an inline amplifier off the same power source, tapping the 12V DC at the Pi end and injecting that into the coax running up to the antenna. I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon. Hopefully the inline amp will run off 12V, else I'll have to get an 18V supply to push the voltage up to about 15V at the far end.

Hope this helps others trying to power up a Pi at the far end of a long ethernet cable.
                    Last edited by Jayant; 2013-12-04, 20:15.
                    T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• And with the voltage regulator local to the pi ... it should be very happy with the quality of the power.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
                        Just to update those who are trying out PoE: I have a 100 metre roll of cat5e connected up to test the voltage drop. With a power supply of 15.2V connected at one end, the voltage I get (with the load of a Pi and a dongle) is 12.7V at the business end, i.e 2.5V drop in 100 m of cat5e cable.

I guess the voltage drop will marginally go up (to about 2.8V) if I also try to run an inline amplifier off the same power source, tapping the 12V DC at the Pi end and injecting that into the coax running up to the antenna. I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon. Hopefully the inline amp will run off 12V, else I'll have to get an 18V supply to push the voltage up to about 15V at the far end.

Hope this helps others trying to power up a Pi at the far end of a long ethernet cable.

Simple Ohm's Law apply.

V = I * R.

Measure the Resistance of the cable and Multiple by the Current Drawn = Voltage Dropped along the line.
                        F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                          Simple Ohm's Law apply.

V = I * R.

Measure the Resistance of the cable and Multiple by the Current Drawn = Voltage Dropped along the line.
                          Ah, but we're using off the peg bits and bobs for doing the POE - the Ethernet uses two pairs out of the four in the cable - so there are 4 conductors available, do you assume that the POE is going to two conductors for the power transmission or four? .. or not worry about it and just measure if there is enough volts left at the end.

The voltage regulator is very efficient (doesn't noticeably warm up) - so if the Pi + dongle uses 5w = 1A (by Watts law) - then we're pushing 0.33A up the wire at 15v ... adding the amplifier might add 40-50% more.

Comment

• Sorry if I've missed this .. too many pages ... I'm running the RPi guide from Peter but I'm stuck at the section for installing the RTL USB Driver Source, when I run the command cmake :// -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON my Pi says no command cmake ?? I'm a complete idiot with Linux, but fancied trying this project to let me feed 24/7.

Any help please ?

John
                            T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• Originally posted by milair View Post
                              Sorry if I've missed this .. too many pages ... I'm running the RPi guide from Peter but I'm stuck at the section for installing the RTL USB Driver Source, when I run the command cmake :// -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON my Pi says no command cmake ?? I'm a complete idiot with Linux, but fancied trying this project to let me feed 24/7.

Any help please ?

John
                              You need to update your Pi, and install cmake:

sudo apt-get update
                              sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo apt-get install cmake

You will also need to install git-core and git, if you haven't already.
                              T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Originally posted by milair View Post
                                Sorry if I've missed this .. too many pages ... I'm running the RPi guide from Peter but I'm stuck at the section for installing the RTL USB Driver Source, when I run the command cmake :// -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON my Pi says no command cmake ?? I'm a complete idiot with Linux, but fancied trying this project to let me feed 24/7.

Any help please ?

John
                                Page 3 on the instructions - can be found at https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UE&usp=sharing - says

Wow – there’s a lot to do in SuperUser mode, lets switch to that mode so we don’t need to do it for

each step.
                                Code:
                                sudo –s
                                Update the OS to the latest version…

Code:
                                apt-get update 

apt-get upgrade

Now install the git core…

Code:
                                apt-get install git-core

Install git…

Code:
                                apt-get install git cmake libusb-1.0-0-dev build-essential

drop our super user session…

Code:
                                exit

Comment

Working...
                                X