No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy, You can't say that in the forums - you will attract a 'Bragging-Rights' put down (stamp down and grind into the dirt) response from one of the super moderators for not feeding just in case all the other local radars go off air.

I feel the same way as you Andy, my feed never appears nowadays either - once an area has sufficient F- feeders to do M-LAT you don't stand much of a chance. I'm now here to help others in areas without cover who want to join the community to expand cover - I like the product and am willing to give something back but I don't want to dip too deeply in my own pocket to put something together that is redundant before being built (Getting 'free premium' isn't important for me either).

It still might be worth applying for an F- box though to use on your mast ... when they have sufficient cover for an area with the F-Boxes - M-LAT becomes a possibility.

Comment

• Andy, I hear what you are saying, but still think you are important in so far contributing to the whole network. Besides bud, you have the equipment and got it up and running after a few very late nights. I have the same sentiments over "my territory" and my only competition are basically 2 other feeders (one of which is off a lot) and the other one has varying range depending on who-knows-what. But you know, it still has been and will still be FUN keeping our feeders alive. And tinkering with the install... getting the exercise and learning things as we go along.
      Running off a Pi, I am happy with what I achieved here. I wont just invest in a box, tho it does look tempting at times. Its been more fun following PeterHR's tuturial, getting tips and ideas from ABCD567 than what it would have been plugging 4 cables into a purchased box.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        Andy, You can't say that in the forums - you will attract a 'Bragging-Rights' put down (stamp down and grind into the dirt) response from one of the super moderators for not feeding just in case all the other local radars go off air.

I feel the same way as you Andy, my feed never appears nowadays either - once an area has sufficient F- feeders to do M-LAT you don't stand much of a chance. I'm now here to help others in areas without cover who want to join the community to expand cover - I like the product and am willing to give something back but I don't want to dip too deeply in my own pocket to put something together that is redundant before being built (Getting 'free premium' isn't important for me either).

It still might be worth applying for an F- box though to use on your mast ... when they have sufficient cover for an area with the F-Boxes - M-LAT becomes a possibility.
        They don't need me anymore. Looking for people 145 miles to my northwest (Woodward, OK) and my south west, 100 Miles... (Lawton, OK)

Not looking for bragging rights either. Just like to see my feeder contributing also. Hate the fact my signal is being ignored unless an F- feeder is not able to pick up a cleaner signal.

Example: The local F- Feeder here (Which I have nothing against or mind in the least) is to me west about 15 miles I'm guessing. I see him pick up A/C to my east 140 miles away and carries them all the way to South west Kansas nearly 200-250 miles away where he loses them and my T- feeder takes over for a short time till I lose it. That tells me I have better range and coverage (Not knowing anything about his setup or antenna altitude) But just a guess. Same as the feeders to my south and north. I pick up there dead spots for a short time till there out of my range which is short. I also know I can see a/c at a lower altitude landing as The local-F feeder loses them a bit higher. while landing at KOKC and KTIK. Anyway just something to get off my chest.
        Andy T-KTIK1

RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
          Andy, I hear what you are saying, but still think you are important in so far contributing to the whole network. Besides bud, you have the equipment and got it up and running after a few very late nights. I have the same sentiments over "my territory" and my only competition are basically 2 other feeders (one of which is off a lot) and the other one has varying range depending on who-knows-what. But you know, it still has been and will still be FUN keeping our feeders alive. And tinkering with the install... getting the exercise and learning things as we go along.
          Running off a Pi, I am happy with what I achieved here. I wont just invest in a box, tho it does look tempting at times. Its been more fun following PeterHR's tuturial, getting tips and ideas from ABCD567 than what it would have been plugging 4 cables into a purchased box.
          Yep I Agree with both of you. I do enjoy tinkering, Fixing and braking and taking a lot of Advil. I like learning new things as all of you. Trial and error makes the world go round. Not planning or leaving. Just not investing more time or Money into something I feel less of a contribution. Why I work so hard to get working better and save energy by moving it to a low power (5-8 watt) computer. The RPI is a cool, neat little computer to play with. Been wanting to learn Linux for years. Well I started many years ago and kept stopping.
          Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Yeah, I learn Linux as and when I need to. So the RPI was indeed a nice project to learn more, besides what I do daily on a RHEL system.
            Andy, drop me an email at: herman (at) eons.co.za or skype msg please.
            Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-09-30, 09:57.

Comment

• Don't know if you know it PETER but both you systems are off line. RPi and BBB both. Just thought I'd let you know incase you didn't know. Disregard if intentional.
              Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                Andy, drop me an email at: herman (at) eons.co.za or skype msg please.
                Sent.

P.S. The message said my one word reply was to short or I'm wasting characters to bypass there filter...
                Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• For what it's worth to anyone. I have read at a few sites, don't have links. (Google it) That putting an antenna inside Electrical grade or even water grade PVC pipe which was better (Less signal lose) over Elect. grade for weather proofing is not a good idea as it demodulates the transmitting and receiving channel. Also lowers db gain by up to 20 percent. Open free standing metal antennas are best to use. I built mine on a Youtube video also showing to insert inside a PVC pipe for support and weather proofing. I believe this to be true as my incoming signal on SDRShape.exe for 1090 MHz was actually 1089.930.000.
                  Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• That's what I see the Pi project as - an intro to Linux that that leads to having completed something that works (even if it is only getting a dump1090 page to display and an FR24 upload log).

If interested in taking the Linux further on x86 based hardware - for desktop PC type tasks, you could do worse than to use Ubuntu (based on Debian like Wheezy) - for server type tasks, look to Centos (based on RedHat Enterprise Linux)

BTW. My Pi is down today - we have a contractor in plastering the walls and my router has been disconnected and put out of harms way
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-30, 10:38.

Comment

That's what I see the Pi project as - an intro to Linux that that leads to having completed something that works (even if it is only getting a dump1090 page to display and an FR24 upload log).

If interested in taking the Linux further on x86 based hardware - for desktop PC type tasks, you could do worse than to use Ubuntu (based on Debian like Wheezy) - for server type tasks, look to Centos (based on RedHat Enterprise Linux)

BTW. My Pi is down today - we have a contractor in plastering the walls and my router has been disconnected and put out of harms way
                      Ya I had Ubuntu on my dual boot win 7 machine and worked fine. Installed win(HATE)8 and my computers never been the same. Thinking about applying for a free Linux course at the local collage one day.

I forgot to mention when I tested wifi On the tower today. I saw my antenna at approx. 60 feet (20 meter) off the ground. about 1/2 mile distance using binoculars. No wifi signal using wifi Analyzer on my android phone.
                      I climbed up to approx. 100 feet. I'm usually not afraid of heights but I realized this wasn't going to be easy for one person ( the look on my wife's face told me I was on my own) to lug all the epuipment... I.e. solar panel(s) , battery (20amp/hr) minimum, RPi in a box. Antenna, tools and everything. I have everything worked out on how to do it but Not sure worth the risk and effort as I said. Considering the wifi signal strength didn't work have to reconsider. Maybe just adding 10 feet (3.3 meters) would be easier and cheaper and SAFER. Damn.... There's that word again (Lightening Target).
                      Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-30, 11:18.
                      Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Can't get Virtual Radar Server working to replace the generic DUMP1090 server on 72.198.39.195:8080. Works on my intranet 192.168.1.11:8080 but not to the net. Have it all set up and it did work on Win FR. Stumped.

I just had a thought. With Dump1090 running (which you have no choice but run) it over rides VR's server maybe.
                        Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• The second task using the port on the ip address will usually (always?) fail to grab it.

it's not down to port address translation in the router is it? (... routing to the wrong node...)
                          Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-30, 12:13.

Comment

• Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
                            Ya I had Ubuntu on my dual boot win 7 machine and worked fine. Installed win(HATE)8 and my computers never been the same. Thinking about applying for a free Linux course at the local collage one day.

I forgot to mention when I tested wifi On the tower today. I saw my antenna at approx. 60 feet (20 meter) off the ground. about 1/2 mile distance using binoculars. No wifi signal using wifi Analyzer on my android phone.
                            I climbed up to approx. 100 feet. I'm usually not afraid of heights but I realized this wasn't going to be easy for one person ( the look on my wife's face told me I was on my own) to lug all the epuipment... I.e. solar panel(s) , battery (20amp/hr) minimum, RPi in a box. Antenna, tools and everything. I have everything worked out on how to do it but Not sure worth the risk and effort as I said. Considering the wifi signal strength didn't work have to reconsider. Maybe just adding 10 feet (3.3 meters) would be easier and cheaper and SAFER. Damn.... There's that word again (Lightening Target).
                            Put the Linux in a virtual on win8 - one thing that M$ got right on win 8 was putting Hyper-V on it, only thing is you really need an up to date processor to take best advantage - it desperately needs (and uses) CPU Assisted Visualisation (Intel VT-x, AMD AMD-V) and SLAT (Second Level Address Translation) = modern i5 or i7
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-30, 12:26. Reason: an

Comment

The second task using the port on the ip address will usually (always?) fail to grab it.

it's not down to port address translation in the router is it? (... routing to the wrong node...)
                              Not sure but it works fine using RTL1090.exe on windows. Doesn't seem to want to grab port 30003 as it's in use by another program. I have seen others using VRS and it's much nicer and cleaner than Dump1090's
                              Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

Put the Linux in a virtual on win8 - one thing that M$ got right on win 8 was putting Hyper-V on it, only thing is you really need an up to date processor to take best advantage - it desperately needs (and uses) CPU Assisted Visualisation (Intel VT-x, AMD AMD-V) and SLAT (Second Level Address Translation) = modern i5 or i7
                                Well I have a home Built from the ground up AMD 8350 cpu, 32 gigs mem, 850 watt power supply, HIS 7970 vid card with 3 gigs mem Pushing 3 (three) 24" monitors , 230 gig SSD for C:\ Drive, About 7 Tera bites of useless storage space on 3 drives D:\, E:\, and F:\ Drives. Only two Blue ray and DVD burners hehehe. Oh and water cooled with 340 mm radiator and a 240 mm radiator. Keeps my room toastie in the winter. Is that enough Power...
                                Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-30, 12:44.
                                Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

Working...
                                X