No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will do. Considering doing the write up I lost over again but rethinking what I wanted to do to make it seem more professional but I actually liked what I'd done. Going to do it in a text file this time but not right now. Keep checking this tread in the hopes it did actually post but no.
    Andy T-KTIK1

RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

Comment

• One thing I can't figure is why in the US... an aircraft on flightradar24 or any a/c tracking website don't all transmit mode S date. I've tracked Aircraft from say Here... KOKC to the UK, France, German or where ever over sea's and they start here on orange color(Not Mode S) but as soon as the get to just before the UK or any coast line they Start in Yellow (Mode S or Mlat) all over the EU or anywhere except of course most parts of Africa not including South Africa and other none tracking countries like Iran and Iraq and such. Why if an a/c has the capability elsewhere in the world not have it in the US. I know they have the option to turn it off but why? Most EU to US bound planes or EU registered never turn it off. Just wondering what the reason is. If you look at my site most a/c don't show up on the map. very few do but depends on the time of day of course. for me the busy time is 6am to maybe 10am then again at 4pm to maybe 7 pm. Just wondering.

Andy
      Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-25, 12:09. Reason: spellin again
      Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
        Both my RPi and Windows dongles are permanently lit.
        Mine is too.
        (wonder if it's a power problem???)

Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
        Will do. Considering doing the write up I lost over again but rethinking what I wanted to do to make it seem more professional but I actually liked what I'd done. Going to do it in a text file this time but not right now. Keep checking this tread in the hopes it did actually post but no.
        I did my write up in Word (2010 or 2013 cant remember) - if you want the docx to copy bits from or to fully adapt, let me know I'll put it on google drive.
        Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-25, 12:05.

Comment

• Not sure what Ya's mean. My blue led on the dongles are also lit but I notice on the RPI, the led on the dongle flickers slightly but not on the one plugged into the windows usb port.
          Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
            One thing I can't figure is why in the US... an aircraft on flightradar24 or any a/c tracking website don't all transmit mode s date. I've tracked Aircraft from say Here... KOKC to the UK, France, German or where ever over sea's and the start here on orange color(Not Mode S) but as soon as the get to the before the UK or and coast line they Start in Yellow (Mode S or Mlat) all over the EU or anywhere except of course most parts of Africa not including South Africa and other none tracking countries like Iran and Iraq and such. Why if an a/c has the capability elsewhere in the world not have it in the US. I know they have the option to turn it off but why? Most EU to US bound planes or EU registered never turn it off. Just wonder what the reason is. If you look at my site most a/c don't show up on the map. very few do but depends on the time of day of course. for me the busy time is 6am to maybe 10am then again at 4pm to maybe 7 pm. Just wondering.

Andy
            Orange is FAA supplied data (5 minutes delay)
            Yellow is FR24 data - could be FR24 receiver, T- personal setups or N- networked receivers (planeplotter)

FR24 try to ensure they don't display the 'Orange' data for a plane if they have 'yellow' data for it.

M-LAT is from networked is F- receivers where the receiver 'tags' the info received with the time received to within 15ns - this represents about the time it takes the signal to travel 5m. These are uploaded to a server and the planes position in 3D is calculated from at least four of these timed signal receipts and from knowledge of the reciever locations.

The planes that show on FAA data and over UK - Germany - Poland - Sweden are probably being plotted by use of MLAT, once you get out ot the FAA coverage area and the FR24 MLAT are, they can be detected but not plotted since the position is is not known. I seems most of the planes around HermanZA dont have a full mode-s squitter that gives the plane position, they just have a transponder that gives it's ID and squawk code.
            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-25, 12:25.

Comment

• Flickering: sounds like possible power problem or something.
              Tracking: For what my summary of this is worth: Not all the planes we pick up, broadcast their position. That causes it not to plot on any of our maps. Some also withhold CallSign, altitude, etc. Only the ones will a "full" ADS-B broadcast, are displayed on the map, the others are just listed. I had the same "issue" here and had quite a few people angry with me wanting to see everything. However, as logical as what that is: guys with the RadarBox see every single plane there is, they don't have "partials" like we have. And don't ask me why.

Comment

Flickering: sounds like possible power problem or something.
                Tracking: For what my summary of this is worth: Not all the planes we pick up, broadcast their position. That causes it not to plot on any of our maps. Some also withhold CallSign, altitude, etc. Only the ones will a "full" ADS-B broadcast, are displayed on the map, the others are just listed. I had the same "issue" here and had quite a few people angry with me wanting to see everything. However, as logical as what that is: guys with the RadarBox see every single plane there is, they don't have "partials" like we have. And don't ask me why.
                I wonder if that is more usual for you than me because ADS-B is less of a requirement in ZA, then here - we have more international borders close together and more crowded skies - and maybe there are comparatively more older / smaller planes with pre-ADS-B equipment in ZA.

Perhaps someone with the Radarbox can sy how they are able to plot more positions ... do they do M-LAT?

Comment

• I think the age of the AC I pick up is indeed a factor... Dash-8's and others, arent ADS-B compliant yet, so they make up for most of the unknowns I visually observe and cant see on the radar. Then there are those who have the equipment and do broadcast, but don't broadcast positions - its those that made me think I am doing something wrong this side, but a lot of inquiries and posts later, I concluded they are not complete ADS-B broadcasts (and if I really want to plot them, some kind of MLAT will be needed)

Perhaps you have a point there: less congested airspace over here, inland/short haul flights perhaps NEED no comply to the rules yet. What I have learned the past two weeks: my hardware is functioning correctly and I did implement your instructions correctly.

Now just why did flight UAE770 changed direction?! Wanted to shoot it with the Canon (camera) when crossing above me.

Comment

• Thanks but I referred the majority of my write up to your doc files anyway and went into detail where I went wrong with it and made mention to first set up Internationization, Local and keyboard lay out for your country before you start. Wifi set up which I have working great. Made mention to not use wifi dongle on a repeater and such. Will redo it after some sleep... Thank you

btw. I tested on a battery. The same type as one of your posts. Using a cheap car usb plug. Works good and been running since about 7-8pm last night. Going to keep testing later using that same 7 amp solar charge controller and a 15 watt solar panel to see if it keeps up. I had wifi distance tested using a method I saw on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkXsS-kTtPo. Don't cha love youtube... and it really worked. As dumb as it seems it really works. I used walkie talkies with my wife telling me when my router lost signal to the dongle and it was about 1150 feet approx. 990-1000 feet (330 meters) reliably. Didn't use a monitor on the Rpi as I already had a jumbled mess of wires.... heheh in my hands but unbelievably it did work. I also have a lead acid 20amp hour but much harder to carry. Gona test the whole thing later using a 9" (inch) Color battery operated RCA plug Television later and check db reception. Will report the results. Oh. I built my strainer antenna a little bit better than the one shown on youtube...
                    The trick is to get the dongle just right (distance out) even a few millimeters mater. Lots of testing.

Andy
                    Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-25, 13:04.
                    Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

However, as logical as what that is: guys with the RadarBox see every single plane there is, they don't have "partials" like we have. And don't ask me why.
                      I don't think that's correct.

RadarBox, and other receivers, can pickup Mode-S non-positional messages. These are shown on a "aircraft list" alongside those with positions. But only those with positional data will plot on the map.

But not all aircraft have Mode-S transponders sending data on 1090 MHz. That's why many smaller aircraft never appear at all.

Comment

• It is HIGHLY possible to build an RPi for remote location use. With a good yogi antenna who knows the distance. I've read at least 1.5 km. Make sure your cig lighter USB adater is good quality, at least 1amp and also fused.

Now to work on a water tight enclosure. I don't think I need to worry about overheating as it's starting to cool down weatherwise and need to think about keeping it warm but you already gave me the link to that which is a brilliant idea. Thanks for the link. For summer I think a metal aluminum Box surrendered by large heat sinks and a small fan like you mentioned also.
                        Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-25, 13:00.
                        Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                          Orange is FAA supplied data (5 minutes delay)
                          Yellow is FR24 data - could be FR24 receiver, T- personal setups or N- networked receivers (planeplotter)

FR24 try to ensure they don't display the 'Orange' data for a plane if they have 'yellow' data for it.

M-LAT is from networked is F- receivers where the receiver 'tags' the info received with the time received to within 15ns - this represents about the time it takes the signal to travel 5m. These are uploaded to a server and the planes position in 3D is calculated from at least four of these timed signal receipts and from knowledge of the reciever locations.

The planes that show on FAA data and over UK - Germany - Poland - Sweden are probably being plotted by use of MLAT, once you get out ot the FAA coverage area and the FR24 MLAT are, they can be detected but not plotted since the position is is not known. I seems most of the planes around HermanZA dont have a full mode-s squitter that gives the plane position, they just have a transponder that gives it's ID and squawk code.
                          Yes I know about the Yellow Mode S and orange (FAA) colors(US spelling... . US has very small limited Mlat coverage also. And very few Major Airports share there 1090 data is any. But in the air craft they also have the option to turn Mode S off as it's not required here yet till the year 2020. I see very few helicopters using mode S.
                          Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Some years ago there was talk of coffee growers in small villages Borneo checking international market prices before loading three or four huge bags of beans onto their bikes before walking the 20 miles to town. The local buyer found he couldn't make as much profit as before.

The wifi link was worked by putting a USB wifi dongle at the focus of a satellite dish mounted in a tree, with a dish each end (don't know what size) links of over 20 miles were achieved.

(Fans were mentioned by Herman, I'd try to avoid them in favour of passive cooling if possible)
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-25, 13:26.

Comment

Flickering: sounds like possible power problem or something.
                              Not a power Problem. Tested on 2 amps Nexus 7 PSU, 1 amp HTC PSU with nothing but sdr dongle and wifi dongle and works fine. Also 1.5 amp car cig USB adapter works great.

Ok I thought Ads-b was already required or by 2014 in the EU anyway. I read that a few months ago somewhere. US by 2014 also but may be extended to 2020.
                              Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                Some years ago there was talk of coffee growers in small villages Borneo checking international market prices before loading three or four huge bags of beans onto their bikes before walking the 20 miles to town. The local buyer found he couldn't make as much profit as before.

The wifi link was worked by putting a USB wifi dongle at the focus of a satellite dish mounted in a tree, with a dish each end (don't know what size) links of over 20 miles were achieved.

(Fans were mentioned by Herman, I'd try to avoid them in favour of passive cooling if possible)
                                I have an old satellite dish doing nothing outside. After all testing is done I will look into making a better wifi antenna with a better quality Wi-Fi dongle. You Tube is Great huh... I supply a family next door with wifi signal at a distance of maybe 100 meters with two yogi's on a guest channel on my router and never loss connection.

In my post (That never Posted) I mentioned Not to use a WiFI repeater connected to the RPI as my ip address kept changing every few min. Not sure why but even with a static ip address set on the router. it kept changing connected through a repeater (Netgear).
                                Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-25, 13:43.
                                Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

Working...
                                X