No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sends an update every second I think. The web page updates continuously. Not sure which browser you're using, but try using another browser to see if that's not stopping the automatic refresh.
    T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
      It sends an update every second I think. The web page updates continuously. Not sure which browser you're using, but try using another browser to see if that's not stopping the automatic refresh.
      Duhhhhhh. why didn't I think of that. will let ya know. Was using wincrap8. Wish there was an easier way to test different db setting. having to re-write fr24.sh over and over is a pain. so far 29.7db is the best signal but still doesn't give me the a/c numbers the wincrap rtl1090 does. have to rethink this and see where I'm going wrong. auto gain should work but it gives me no signal but half decent on the cheat antenna. I'm at a loss.
      Andy T-KTIK1

RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

Comment

• Idea: put your start-up script in a notepad file, change that for the different gain settings, then copy it once modified and right click paste into PuTTY.
        In so far the antenna... that one has me stumped. You don't perhaps have your 1090 antenna close to any other electronic thing, and its picking up spurious noise, and with the gain setting, it overwhelms the usefull signal? Say like sharing the mast with some other transmitting antenna or some form of EM interference? Just my 1c thought (sharing your desperation to get it working!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
          It sends an update every second I think. The web page updates continuously. Not sure which browser you're using, but try using another browser to see if that's not stopping the automatic refresh.
          Yep what a dumb ass I am. Refreshes continuously in CHROME. Did I mention how much I hate WinCrap8. Not sure why I'm even bothering because it's been nothing but crap since install date. Have 6 computers here from this to two win7's , Vista, XP and even one still running Millennium and working. Am tired. been up 36=hours working on this and other stuff. Errr 7, forgot about this Rpi

Andy T-KTIK1 Oklahoma City, OK USA

P.S. Still have my first x-86, 286 and 386 machines... in storage... just so I can say.... forgot what I was going to say. Night all
          Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
            Duhhhhhh. why didn't I think of that. will let ya know. Was using wincrap8. Wish there was an easier way to test different db setting. having to re-write fr24.sh over and over is a pain. so far 29.7db is the best signal but still doesn't give me the a/c numbers the wincrap rtl1090 does. have to rethink this and see where I'm going wrong. auto gain should work but it gives me no signal but half decent on the cheat antenna. I'm at a loss.
            I edit it in the putty session using nano (just remember it's a console app, so you have to use arrow keys to change the cursor position in the file), or for big edits use notepad or crimson editor on the PC.

Hints:
            When you start putty.exe, before you select what node you are connecting to
            - look in the left "Category" pane select window > colours > select "Use System Colours" checkbox
            - now select 'Session' in the left pane, click default settings and save
            ... now you can actually read the text in the putty window.

When using putty - just select text with the mouse to copy it (no other keys, etc), to paste move the cursor to the insertion point with the arrow keys then right click (again, no other keys).

Copy & paste in putty is counter intuitive to windows users - and is an annoyance, but it does work.
            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-24, 07:54.

Comment

• For those wanting to use a Pi with from a 12v battery + solar panel ... interesting article here https://sites.google.com/site/vectra...ts/ads-b-raspi (though I'd still use something like the voltage regulator I used for POE since it powers via the Micro USB socket and doesn't bypass the electronic fuse on the Pi).

Comment

• Originally posted by scarymonkey View Post
                I would be looking at the power supply myself initially on this one. I had similar where wifi would be very problematic (although in my case it dropped after about 30 minutes and needed a reboot to kick back in). I changed to a HTC power supply and the thing has been up perfectly ever since.
                Sorry, Meant to thank you not Peter on this one But thank you both for the help.
                Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Wow. Just spent the last 6-7 hours writing up how I fixed my Pi to work and make a noobs version of peters directions and it never posted. Does anyone know the word "frustrating"
                  Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-25, 08:13.
                  Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Ya I had already done that before thanks. I read part of putty in the past so. Thanks again.
                    Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Have my site up and working again. Better. Not what it was working on RTL1090 in Windows Hate but better. Here's my fr24.sh file to look at. Can't get my lat and lon to stick to my location. not sure wtf.

#!/bin/bash
                      killall fr24feed_arm-le_233s
                      killall dump1090
                      cd /home/pi/dump1090
                      ./dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet --gain 43.9 --freq 1089930000 --lat 35.50 --lon -97.33 > /dev/null &
                      cd ~
                      export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20
                      ./fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=d7fd65a5b******** > /tmp/fr24feed.log &

Stripped comments to make it easier to read.

Took off my main (tall) antenna amplifier and power injection. Amp was at mid mast so wasn't easy to get to. It made a slight difference better with it on. Checked for a short in the antenna with a multimeter, there was none. tweaked gain to optimum for my dongle. Auto gain -100 and enable-agc don't work for me my tuner was off my 70mhz according to SDRSharpe.exe waterfall Actually all my dongles (I have 4) to varying degrees so I tweaked it which seemed to help a bit as you can see by the --freq 1089930000. Not sure what the Freq spread is in dump1090.

Frustrated the large write up describing my problem, how I fixed it with all your help. step by step noob version installation, setup, links, pictures and the troubleshooting I did... didn't post.

Oh before I forget. I noticed on the windows rtl1090.exe version B:102 that with both Tuner AGC and RTL AGC with the tall antenna was the optimum setting. With the cheap dongle supplied antenna optimum was with RTL AGC turned off. Strange but that's what worked better. Can't find info on what dump1090 uses, Tuner AGC or RTL AGC if it even applies.

Andy
                      Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Great to see you up and running Andy! Blood, sweat and tears are worth the reward seeing those AC above you!

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                          Great to see you up and running Andy! Blood, sweat and tears are worth the reward seeing those AC above you!
                          Thanks HermanZA. Ya I wasted enough time on this project to quit on it now. Need to find the cause of my signal loss in the RPi from the Windows Hate version.
                          Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• It will still want some time from you!
                            You welcome to mail some of those pics to me at: herman -at- eons.co.za Would like to see what you have up there.

Comment

• Moved the Rpi back down to a 1 amp psu since it doesn't need it. Running it with just the rtl dongle and wifi so.

One thing I just noticed was the led on the rtl dongle flickers from time to time which I haven't noticed on the windows usb port. Need to check that out

Andy
                              Andy T-KTIK1

Comment

• Both my RPi and Windows dongles are permanently lit.

Comment

Working...
                                X