Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toString View Post
    Mr abcd567, do you find any advantage in using the PIaware distribution and then putting fr24 on top?

I have the standard raspian distribution with fr24 on it, and want to add PIaware. Just wondered if I should delete everything and start from scratch with their own PIaware distribution and add fr24 on top, or just add PIaware to what I have now..

Not sure if there's any performance advantage using their install..

Hope that made sense.. :-/
    I have 2 microSD cards, and both work equally good:

microSD #1: NOOBS/Raspbian + dump1090 + FR24 data feeder + Piaware data feeder + Planefinder data feeder.

microSD #2: Piaware img (the img was written to microSD using image writer utility. It consists of flightaware version of Raspbian + dump1090 + piaware data feeder). On top of this I have installed FR24 data feeder + Planefinder data feeder.

Comment

• Thank you, I will stick with what I have and build upon that - rather than starting over with the Piaware img.

Thank you also for all your posts, I've gone through a lot of threads (hours of reading) and your posts have been very helpful in getting me starting with Pi.
      My only regret is that 2 weeks after I got my B+ they release the Pi version 2!
      toString - London, UK
      FR24 - T-EGLC55 / PiAware - toString / PlaneFinder - 9008
      Raspberry Pi B+ | Keedox DVB-T USB RTL-SDR [RTL2832U+R820T] | Stock Antenna

Comment

........My only regret is that 2 weeks after I got my B+ they release the Pi version 2!
        So do I! Purchased my RPi B+ 4 weeks ago. Did not know that they are going to release RPi-2 within 4 weeks

Comment

• Double the RAM, faster and quad core CPU... Annoying!

But I think the B+ is good enough for ADSB-ing... Maybe I'll get a Pi2 for other projects in the future
          toString - London, UK

Comment

• Wondered if someone can give some advice?

I have just installed fr24feed 1.0.11-5_armhf.deb onto my pi. Everything seems to work ok, i.e the fr24feed status is all green OK and its links to share data for my premium account, but it will not feed on port 30003 to my planeplotter? It worked at the beginning and typing into my windows PC on a firefox browser I could see the data on my 192.168.1.0 network but now its all stopped.

Any help would be much appreciated.

p.s. this is on a Pi 2, but was the same on my 512Mb origional Pi, not sure if that makes any difference, but the Pi 2 is a much improvement on previous versions

Comment

• I had the same problem.. ended up getting the later build (released 2/9) and used --net for dump1090 optional parameter and then "no" and "no" for the other two prompts (for the two ports).. then it worked.. earlier attempts at different combos of parameters did not work well.. I use VRS to show the unfiltered local data.

Comment

• Any one knows how I can see RPI/dump1090's Google Map on my phone through data network / internet when I am away from home?

Comment

• (all IP's for example purposes):

You would have to go to your router setup page i.e. 192.168.1.1 and find the 'port forwarding' page (depends on your router) and you would have to 'map' your pi 192.168.1.5 on port 8080 to external port 12345 (doesn't have to be the same port).

So then on your phone using mobile data - you access your external IP, e.g... 85.122.46.158:12345 and that will 'map' back to the 192.168.1.5:8080 on the local network.

Edit:
                  Just tried it, and it works perfectly. Only hard bit is all routers are different and the way you forward ports is different based on each UI they use. So you might have to do some digging on how to forward, and might even have to restart your router when you make a change, but it works.
                  Last edited by toString; 2015-02-13, 11:23.
                  toString - London, UK

Comment

(all IP's for example purposes):

You would have to go to your router setup page i.e. 192.168.1.1 and find the 'port forwarding' page..........
                    Thanks, I tried, but instead of dump1090 google map page, another page "lighttpd server placeholder" appears (see screenshot below)
                    Screenshot_2015-02-13-10-14-33.png

Comment

• You've mapped the wrong ip/port. AFAIK dump1090 has nothing to do with lighthttpd.
                      I'm able to access my dump1090&virtualradar from outside, without any problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by loplo View Post
                        You've mapped the wrong ip/port. AFAIK dump1090 has nothing to do with lighthttpd.
                        I'm able to access my dump1090&virtualradar from outside, without any problems.
                        How did you do that? Can you please give detailed steps? Thaks.

Comment

• I'm starting with a sidenote, Virtualradar is running on a windows machine.

How to access dump1090 web gui from the internet:

1. find out your RPI IP. If it is acquired via DHCP you have two options:
                          1.1. set it to static editing /etc/network/interfaces
                          1.2. if your router is capable, set it to reserve and assign always the same IP to the RPI
                          2. access your the GUI of you router and look for port forwarding, applications, etc. http://portforward.com/english/route...outerindex.htm covers a large variety of routers.
                          3. the forwarding has the following format: INTERNAL_IP - INTERNAL_PORT - EXTERNAL_IP - EXTERNAL PORT. INTERNAL_IP and INTERNAL_PORT are self explanatory. EXTERNAL_IP is your external IP, you'll get it using http://www.whatismyip.com/ . EXTERNAL_PORT will be the port you want to map onto your INTERNAL_PORT. As we all know, by default dump1090 uses port 8080, this will be your INTERNAL_PORT. Your EXTERNAL_PORT could be almost any port, it doesn't need to be 8080. Some ISP's block ports, so each and everyone has to test what's working and what's not.

Example: INTERNAL_IP is 192.168.1.99, EXTERNAL_IP is 87.86.85.84 and we'd like to access our dump1090, from the internet, via the 8080 port.
                          In this case we have tell the router that in case somebody is trying to access our EXTERNAL_IP on our EXTERNAL_PORT, the traffic should be directed to our INTERNAL_IP and INTERNAL_PORT.
                          If we'd type in our browser http://87.86.85.84:8080 we should see the dump1090 on 192.168.1.99:8080

If you you have any other thing mapped on the 8080 port, in your netwrok, like webcam, IPcam, website, etc, just use another EXTERNAL_PORT. It doesn't matter your EXTERNAL_PORT until is mapped correctly to your RPI IP and the port 8080 in our case.

I hope it helps.

Comment

• Try this link. This is a recording of commands & output of my RPi's console.
                            You can copy paste the commands & outputs from the page. Good for instructions/guide.

http://showterm.io/fc98c61da8a32c217c42e

Comment

• Originally posted by loplo View Post
                              ......How to access dump1090 web gui from the internet........
                              Thank you very much for your great help!
                              I followed your instructions and now I can get dump1090 map on my phone even when I am away my home, through internet.

Dump1090-Screenshot.png

In addition, in my router, I have enabled SSH for RPI, and installed SSH client (JuiceSSH) on my phone. Now I can SSH my RPi from my phone even when I am away from my home, through internet.

SSH-Screenshot.png . JuiceSSH-Screenshot.png

Comment

• I'm glad I could help.
                                Where was the problem? IP or port?

Comment

Working...
                                X