No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this is the best place to ask ? Anyone have trouble with their SD cards after a power outage ? I always seem to end up burning my image file again if the power is cut without shutting down the RPi properly. I also updated dump1090 as recently shown here and when I then tried to read the newly updated image file with Win32DiskImager it reported CRC errors. I just brought a new 4GB Kingston, burned my old img file to it, updated dump1090 and then was able to save the new img without any probs ?
    Running disk checks on the SD card with CRC errors in windows reports as fine ?

John
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• My Pi is plugged in where the electric lawn mower plugs in - and it seems to get a 'sudden power failure' about once a week, and just starts working again as the power is restored. Never had a problem.

That said the image setup [post #8 in this thread] records it's log file to /tmp and that is in memory, not on the SD card. Hopefully that means that we don't open anything on the card for writing so there is nothing in any sort of disk write buffer or cache at any time (unless we are altering the config at the time)

One thing I saw recently was that Aldi had a mobile battery booster for about £7 - this is a triangular rechargeable cell maybe 1" to the side, 5" long shiny coloured metal. The idea is that you charge it from your micro USB, and wheh your celphone goes flat, you plug your phone charging lead in and use it to charge the phone. I did wonder if it would be possible to run the Pi through one of those an bit like a UPS - so the powercell is on permanent charge and is permanently being used to supply the Pi. This was an Aldi special from maybe 3 yeesks ago, there is a good chance they still have stock on the shelves.

Comment

• Hmm.. weird, maybe my RPi is a bit touchy, I've got 2 more RPi's so maybe I'll swap over. One of my spare RPi's I picked up for £1 from a boot sale ! Cost me more for the case and heatsinks ! Have thought about a UPS idea, using model aircraft LiPos running through a 5v reg perhaps. Or even a good old sealed Lead Acid Yaesu type, less worry about a fire hazard and easier to trickle charge!
        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• Heatsinks????

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
            Heatsinks????
            Every little helps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-...item43c50ab2dd

Comment

• Peter, Finally got a Raspberry Pi today and whilst everything is hooked up and working from your "Image" file, the only thing left to do, is to add my Sharing Key but how do I do that from my Putty Screen?

I've logged into Putty, using the Login:root and p/word raspberry and I can access remotely fine but how do I edit the fr24.sh file from the command line: root@raspberry-pi:~#

I've tried reading your raspberry pi setup PDF file but I cannot find out how to edit fr24.sh and the CD~ command doesn't work.

I just need to know how to edit the fr24.sh file please?

Cheers :-)
              T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
              Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
              Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
                Peter, Finally got a Raspberry Pi today and whilst everything is hooked up and working from your "Image" file, the only thing left to do, is to add my Sharing Key but how do I do that from my Putty Screen?

I've logged into Putty, using the Login:root and p/word raspberry and I can access remotely fine but how do I edit the fr24.sh file from the command line: root@raspberry-pi:~#

I've tried reading your raspberry pi setup PDF file but I cannot find out how to edit fr24.sh and the CD~ command doesn't work.

I just need to know how to edit the fr24.sh file please?

Cheers :-)
                the text editor is nano, so do

nano fr24.sh

control-X to exit

then do

./fr24.sh

cd [space] ~

cd = change directory

~ = the home directory of my logon account

By the way, it sounds like you are using the old image - that one probably needs the feeder updated to get stats and might need updates to dump1090, the new image needs a bigger SD card.

The nice thing about using the Pi is it's easy to 'change the disk' - you just switch it off and insert a new SD card.
                Last edited by peterhr; 2014-09-06, 20:26.

Comment

the text editor is nano, so do

nano fr24.sh

control-X to exit

then do

./fr24.sh

cd [space] ~

cd = change directory

~ = the home directory of my logon account

By the way, it sounds like you are using the old image - that one probably needs the feeder updated to get stats and might need updates to dump1090, the new image needs a bigger SD card.

The nice thing about using the Pi is it's easy to 'change the disk' - you just switch it off and insert a new SD card.
                  Hi Peter,

The "nano" bit done the trick and replaced xxxxxxxx with my Key, ran program from ./fr24 blah blah and all is well.

Yes, good thing about the SD card, you can have two versions and just swap and major plus, is I can NOW turn my pc off at night haha.

I'll play with this version for a bit but if you could tell me where the other image is for the stats and updated software, I'd be grateful :-)

I have 2 SD Cards - one is a 2GB and my other is an 8GB.

UPDATE: and for the first time using my Pi - I just saw 9 A/C on the screen at the same time with my radar ID (filtered after seeing 1st A/C). That's 8 more than when I used my Dongle into PC hahahaha - Does a Happy Dance lol
                  Last edited by Responder; 2014-09-06, 23:01. Reason: UPDATE Paragraph
                  T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
                  Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• For the stats you need FR24feeder v2.41 or later.

Post #8 in the thread is kept up to date, the links are there (the current version you log in with user pi
                    password raspberry, the prior one used darkbasic minimal raspbarian and logged on with user root)

Comment

For the stats you need FR24feeder v2.41 or later.

Post #8 in the thread is kept up to date, the links are there (the current version you log in with user pi
                      password raspberry, the prior one used darkbasic minimal raspbarian and logged on with user root)
                      Hi Peter,

I re downloaded the image yesterday (file Feb27) from your #8 posting and the first link. Using this image file, I can see my stats on FR24. I might download the July image too from your second link and try that later today. I assume, I'll only need to edit the Sharing Key again.

Regards,
                      Karl
                      Last edited by Responder; 2014-09-07, 11:02.
                      T-EGBB16

Comment

• Hi Peter,

Just downloaded and wrote image "july26" onto a 8GB disc and edited my Sharing Key. Rebooted RPi and works beautifully. Using my RPi IP address and 31001, I can now view all data in ADSBscope, VRS and FR24's Radar View.

Great work Peter and thanks for all the work you've put into this :-)
                        Last edited by Responder; 2014-09-07, 11:04.
                        T-EGBB16

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
                          Hi Peter,

Just downloaded and wrote image "july26" onto a 8GB disc and edited my Sharing Key. Rebooted RPi and works beautifully. Using my RPi IP address and 31001, I can now view all data in ADSBscope, VRS and FR24's Radar View.

Great work Peter and thanks for all the work you've put into this :-)
                          You can also go here http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/ and download the software to also feed flightaware

you just add a couple of lines after starting fr24feed

sleep 60
                          service piaware restart

oh and you will need a forum account on flightaware

You can also feed planefinder, but their feeder is a PITA to set-up and uses far more compute resource than it should need to (I tried it and deleted it)

Theres a lesson to be learned here
                          - dump1090 feeds everything, once you install an all encompassing package from single site that's only interested in you feeding them, there is every chance that you lose the flexibility to feed others.

Comment

• Thanks Peter,

I may have a look at Flightaware once I've got this Pi setup running smoothly and I'm comfortable with it. Just been looking at my FR24 stats since I left it to run overnight for the first time and there are gaps for 30mins (15mins eitherside of 4am) and same again at 8am. Not sure if that's a FR24 thing or my RPi shutting down for 30mins. Now I have July26 image running, I'll keep an eye on that and see if that does the same every 4hrs.

As for Planefinder (pinkroot), I had their app on my iPhone and iPad and tbh, it wasn't anywhere as good as FR24, so I'll leave them be :-)
                            T-EGBB16

Comment

• if you do "crontab -e" you can see what timed jobs are in the image

There is one to start everything up on reboot then there is one that restarts things once or twice daily - that never used to leave a with the static linked 'arm' feeder, but it does with the current RPI feeder.

One thing you do get with FlightAware is a ranking chart, I'm still climbing the ranks i've reached number 50 in the world rank with my pi - you'd probably exceed that due to being on higher ground.

Comment

if you do "crontab -e" you can see what timed jobs are in the image

There is one to start everything up on reboot then there is one that restarts things once or twice daily - that never used to leave a with the static linked 'arm' feeder, but it does with the current RPI feeder.
                                Hi all,

It's been some time since I wrote in to the forum, the lack of Tapatalk support is really making things inconvenient!

With the latest versions of the FR24 feeder (RPI version) and dump1090, I have replaced the daily reboot with a weekly reboot. It's been running for the last 4 days without any problems, so we could probably do away with the daily reboot routine. There don't seem to be any zombies around, and no memory leaks which I have seen so far. This is more like I would expect a Linux box to run! If I see problems, I shall update the forum.

I got my brand new Pi Model B+ up and running a few days ago, and I must say that the power handling is much improved. Also, one of my big problems was the operating temperature runnig inside a box located outdoors, and the B+ runs at least 5 degrees cooler. This is probably a by-product of using a switched power supply in the new version, but I'm not sure why it runs cooler. Has anyone else seen this?

I also LOVE the placement of the power connector, and the general layout of the new model. Much less space required in the enclosure now, everything fits so much more elegantly.

Best
                                Jayant
                                T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

Working...
                                X