X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leave the

> /tmp/fr24feed.log &

off - see what happens - it will output to the screen

but if you are logged in as root, you shouldn't get permission denied ... unless there is already a file with that name and it's being protected by something else holding it open.

so maybe do
    killall fr24feed_arm-rpi_242
    first

and check you don't have the file open in another putty session.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      leave the

> /tmp/fr24feed.log &

off - see what happens - it will output to the screen

but if you are logged in as root, you shouldn't get permission denied ... unless there is already a file with that name and it's being protected by something else holding it open.

so maybe do
      first

and check you don't have the file open in another putty session.
      Here we go. I actually didn't know this was the log. I'm so lost

Code:
      [i]FR24Feed v242 - built on May  7 2014/13:05:06
      [i]Downloading configuration...OK
      [i]Parsing configuration...OK
      [c]Interval: 5s
      [c]Latitude: 62.xxxx
      [c]Longitude: 17.xxxx
      [c]GND: YES
      [c]NonADSB: YES
      [i]Source defined as Basestation
      [b]connecting to 127.0.0.1:30003
      [n]defined 1 server
      [n]ESNN1@83.140.21.66:8099/UDP
      [n]connecting
      [i][stats]Stats thread started
      [b]connected
      [b]working
      [n]connected
      [n]switching to UDP
      [n]working
      [i]Data feed time difference OK abs(14:06:47.352 - 14:06:47.353)=0
      After some hours it just says "terminated" and it's stops uploading to FR24.

Edit. My antenna is in a bad location right now so I'm not getting a lot of positions. But it's sending packets successfully.
      Last edited by Guest; 2014-07-01, 14:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by limparius View Post
        Here we go. I actually didn't know this was the log. I'm so lost

Code:
        [i]FR24Feed v242 - built on May  7 2014/13:05:06
        [i]Downloading configuration...OK
        [i]Parsing configuration...OK
        [c]Interval: 5s
        [c]Latitude: 62.xxxx
        [c]Longitude: 17.xxxx
        [c]GND: YES
        [c]NonADSB: YES
        [i]Source defined as Basestation
        [b]connecting to 127.0.0.1:30003
        [n]defined 1 server
        [n]ESNN1@83.140.21.66:8099/UDP
        [n]connecting
        [i][stats]Stats thread started
        [b]connected
        [b]working
        [n]connected
        [n]switching to UDP
        [n]working
        [i]Data feed time difference OK abs(14:06:47.352 - 14:06:47.353)=0
        After some hours it just says "terminated" and it's stops uploading to FR24.

Edit. My antenna is in a bad location right now so I'm not getting a lot of positions. But it's sending packets successfully.
        It may be worth looking at the end of the log file after the feeder has 'terminated' (maybe use the 'tail' command) to see if there is a message.

There may be code in the program that says if there has been no data for a period of time (poor antenna, no planes close enough) then the feeder should exit.

Comment

It may be worth looking at the end of the log file after the feeder has 'terminated' (maybe use the 'tail' command) to see if there is a message.

There may be code in the program that says if there has been no data for a period of time (poor antenna, no planes close enough) then the feeder should exit.
          I see. I figured that it could be something like that. It hasn't said anything after 'terminated' but I'll try that and also try to get the pi to a better location.

Speaking of which, I got my D-link DWA-131 wifi dongle working with Raspbmc but the LED won't even come on when I plug it in my external powered USB hub to the Pi. And the Pi does not recognize it if I type 'ifconfig'. If I got that working I'd be able to put it on the second floor, thus increasing the range, as an ethernet cable running upstairs wouldn't be much appreciated.

EDIT: I guess it has something to do with this being an minimal image of wheezy. I just found drivers for Linux and i'm reading some threads about wifi enabling.
          Last edited by Guest; 2014-07-01, 15:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by limparius View Post
            I see. I figured that it could be something like that. It hasn't said anything after 'terminated' but I'll try that and also try to get the pi to a better location.

Speaking of which, I got my D-link DWA-131 wifi dongle working with Raspbmc but the LED won't even come on when I plug it in my external powered USB hub to the Pi. And the Pi does not recognize it if I type 'ifconfig'. If I got that working I'd be able to put it on the second floor, thus increasing the range, as an ethernet cable running upstairs wouldn't be much appreciated.

EDIT: I guess it has something to do with this being an minimal image of wheezy. I just found drivers for Linux and i'm reading some threads about wifi enabling.
            I use powerline adaptors for this sort of thing, have done so for years - very reliable and simple - have a look on amazon (a starter kit is €30 for two 500Mb/s adaptors, a lot cheaper and faster now then when I bought)

Comment

I use powerline adaptors for this sort of thing, have done so for years - very reliable and simple - have a look on amazon (a starter kit is €30 for two 500Mb/s adaptors, a lot cheaper and faster now then when I bought)
              I hadn't even thought of that. That's really neat. Definitely something l'll think about when streaming HD films at home.

I do have a Netgear repeater with ethernet connections. It could do the job.
              Last edited by Guest; 2014-07-01, 17:48.

Comment

• Peter,
                I thought I'd have a bash at building your image from scratch. Quick question & sorry if I've missed something but where do I find the text file referred to in the following instruction?

(don’t + copy paste from this doc, MSword may have clobbered some of characters above -
                there is a separate text file holding this text that should be safer)

Thanks...
                T-EGCC59: http://radar-sw.no-ip.biz/VirtualRadar/
                Raspberry Pi, Dump1090, ADS-B RTL2832 Dongle, Bulgarian Collinear 8m AGL.

Comment

• Hello

It is possible to connect the feed and raspberry dump 1090 start automatically?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mutt08 View Post
                    Peter,
                    I thought I'd have a bash at building your image from scratch. Quick question & sorry if I've missed something but where do I find the text file referred to in the following instruction?

(don’t + copy paste from this doc, MSword may have clobbered some of characters above -
                    there is a separate text file holding this text that should be safer)

Thanks...
                    Oops - didn't I post it ... fr24.sh ?

If word clobbers it it changes two dashes into a longer em-dash and may capitalise the first word in a paragraph.

Code:
                    #!/bin/bash
                    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
                    # Provides: fr24
                    # Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog $time
                    # Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog $time
                    # Should-Start: $network
                    # Should-Stop: $network
                    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
                    # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
                    # Short-Description: Start 1090dump and fr24 at boot time
                    # Description: Start the RTL-SDR decoder and FlightRadar24 feeder at boot
                    ### END INIT INFO
                    #
                    #updated 2013-08-29 - write /tmp/fr24feed.log
                    #updated 2013-09-23 - Add INIT INFO section supplied by Jayant
                    #updated May 2014 - to use RPi feeder
                    #
                    #make sure fr24feed and dump1090 software are not running
                    #
                    killall dump1090
                    #
                    #start dump1090 . we don.t want output so throw it into a black hole (the null device)
                    #the symbol at the end of the line says don.t wait for this to finish, just move
                    #onto  the next command (note dump 1090 needs to run the dump1090  folder
                    #for the built in web page to work)
                    #
                    cd /root/dump1090
                    ./dump1090 --fix --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-ro-port 31001 --quiet > /dev/null &
                    cd /root
                    #
                    #start the fr24 feeder(use your own key)
                    #
                    export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20

./fr24feed_arm-rpi_242 --fr24key=012345679012345  --bs-ip=127.0.0.1 --httpd=yes > /tmp/fr24feed.log &

cd /root

Originally posted by ptruicp View Post
                    Hello

It is possible to connect the feed and raspberry dump 1090 start automatically?
                    Yep, absolutely - read through the write up at post #8

This is done by having a restart script, that is initially run as a timed job with a parameter that says it should be run at startup
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-07-03, 18:23.

Comment

Oops - didn't I post it ... fr24.sh ?
                      Got it, cheers Pete...

Comment

• I want to get started with the project as described in this thread. Where can I find the lastest document of peterh? I know it can be found in this thread but this thread has already 70+ pages...
                        I am currently feeding using windows.

Comment

• Have a look at post number 8 on page 1.
                          Last edited by Mutt08; 2014-07-12, 14:14.

Comment

• When there's a significant update...
                            * Post #8 is updated with the important stuff, and old stuff is usually removed
                            * a post is made to the end of this long thread to say post 8 has been updated - this is toe alert people using this software.

(the only important update not integrated to the build done early this year is to use the Raspberry Pi specific FR24 feeder - the old one will work, the newer one is better ... you'll have to add it yourself )

Comment

• Thanks for directing me to post #8. Just ordered the Raspberry Pi. Need more help in the future I guess....

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrie45 View Post
                                Thanks for directing me to post #8. Just ordered the Raspberry Pi. Need more help in the future I guess....
                                Excellent, Eindhoven ground traffic!

Make sure you have a reasonable power supply and an mcx adaptor (so when you want to connect a different antenna to the dongle, you have a way to do it)

Comment

Working...
                                X