Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tvengineer View Post
    Hello all... First post to this forum...

One question.. is it ok to mount the RTL dongle and the pi in very close proximity inside a weatherproof box, or should the dongle be sheilded away from the Pi.
    I usually mount my pi s in plastic electrical outlet boxes with weather covers (pi cam security cameras)... wonder if the pi would cause interference to the RTL dongle jammed into that small a box.
    I have the Pi and dongle in a single weatherproof electrical box (8x6") with power over ethernet. No interference problems. My outdoor units are more than 65 meters away from the network, so I'd rather run the distance on Cat-5, than with RF over coax. I'm now planning to mount the box with the electronics directly coupled to the conduit housing my collinear antenna, to completely cut out the intervening coax cable. Working on the couplings and joint sealing.
    T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• If waterproof means no ventilation, then my answer is NO.
      The dongle and the PI can get pretty hot, and without proper airflow ...

Comment

• I don't think you really need to worry too much about overheating. My Pi+dongle draws about 750ma at 5v which is less than 4 watts total. Even an airtight enclosure should be able to dissipate 4 watts without difficulty. I'd be more worried about heat gain from direct sunlight. This could heat the enclosure up quite a bit so be sure and shade it from the direct sun.

Comment

Hello all... First post to this forum...
          Just got my RasPi up and running with dump1090 and fr24dfeed_arm-le_242s... using the instructions in this thread.. pretty easy..
          I am feeding in but have not got my antenna up in the air yet.
          Next is to mount the raspi in a weatherproof box and set it up for Power over Ethernet.. and build an antenna. (hopefully done by next week)..
          One question.. is it ok to mount the RTL dongle and the pi in very close proximity inside a weatherproof box, or should the dongle be sheilded away from the Pi.
          I usually mount my pi s in plastic electrical outlet boxes with weather covers (pi cam security cameras)... wonder if the pi would cause interference to the RTL dongle jammed into that small a box.

Anyway... this if fun.. and even though my area has pretty good coverage already.. it is fun to see my radar ID show up or the flightradar24 website :-)
          Welcome aboard,

My dongle is plugged directly into the pi - no problem, but I'd think about getting a short USB extender - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120947537839 - so the bits are't all rigidly tight in a row in the box - it might give a bit more flexibility with the antenna fixing too.

Comment

• Any thoughts on Banana-pi? Sounds interesting.. considering ordering one..

Comment

• Haven't seen it before. Looks like a Rasp Pi with more memory, faster Chinese dual core processor and a few extra ports. More expensive (about $60). For the Dump1090 app, you don't need any of this... might be useful for other apps. I'd wait until people have some experience with it to see how compatible it will be with the standard ARM Linux distributions.
              There's also another clone of the Pi called Hummingbird.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                Welcome aboard,

My dongle is plugged directly into the pi - no problem, but I'd think about getting a short USB extender - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120947537839 - so the bits are't all rigidly tight in a row in the box - it might give a bit more flexibility with the antenna fixing too.
                I was thinking of trying to solder short lengths of wire to the USB plug on the dongle to the pi.. to make them fit into the small box. I use a UBEC 5v supply soldered to the pi to make it work with POE. Just the RJ ethernet connector sticking out of the pi.. and that does not stick out very far at all.

As for heat... I will try to stick a temp probe into one of my raspberry pi camera boxes and monitor its temperature.. never had a problem though.

Comment

I was thinking of trying to solder short lengths of wire to the USB plug on the dongle to the pi.. to make them fit into the small box. I use a UBEC 5v supply soldered to the pi to make it work with POE. Just the RJ ethernet connector sticking out of the pi.. and that does not stick out very far at all.

As for heat... I will try to stick a temp probe into one of my raspberry pi camera boxes and monitor its temperature.. never had a problem though.
                  The dongle does run warm to touch too...

maybe a couple of right angled USB connectors (ebay item 370850219766) would save the soldering - something I'd shy away from in case the pi got fried by nearby lightning and I wanted easy replacement.

There is something here http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com...raspbianwheezy about reading the on-board temperature sensors on the Pi.

Comment

I was thinking of trying to solder short lengths of wire to the USB plug on the dongle to the pi.
                    Maybe http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...roductID=10768 would help.

/M
                    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
                    T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
                    P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
                    mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

• This is in reply to Zahidulhasan's post in the New Feeder thread:

There's a nice simple script to run the dump1090 process and the FR24 feeder process in the documentation posted by PeterHR in the beginning of this thread. Take a look - http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post37114
                      T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Guys, I'm trying to make this dump1090 work with my setup, but it fails with the following error:
                        Error 2006: MySQL server has gone away

Any ideas why am I getting this error?
                        I'm running nginx as webserver.

Comment

• Originally posted by loplo View Post
                          Guys, I'm trying to make this dump1090 work with my setup, but it fails with the following error:
                          Error 2006: MySQL server has gone away

Any ideas why am I getting this error?
                          I'm running nginx as webserver.
                          Dump1090 doesn't use MySQL (or any database), something else is causing the problem

Comment

• If you'd check the link I've posted, you'll see that there's a mysql version.

Comment

• Originally posted by loplo View Post
                              If you'd check the link I've posted, you'll see that there's a mysql version.
                              Apologies, MySQL needs two parts, the server and the client.

Do 'service mysqld status' to ensure the server service is running (by the way that is a guess)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mysql is up and running. I have tested it with some scripts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X