Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Peter,
    Many thanks for your continued support.
    I'll check my interfaces file later today. Do you run dump1090 with only --interactive and --net. Just picking up on the point about the Gain setting.
    Regards
    Dave
    T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
      Hi Peter,
      Many thanks for your continued support.
      I'll check my interfaces file later today. Do you run dump1090 with only --interactive and --net. Just picking up on the point about the Gain setting.
      Regards
      Dave
      Code:
      ./dump1090 --enable-agc --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-ro-port 31001 --quiet > /dev/null &
      the --ro port is to enable a feed to adsbscope (if I can get it working again)

I don't think I need --enable-agc

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        Code:
        ./dump1090 --enable-agc --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-ro-port 31001 --quiet > /dev/null &
        the --ro port is to enable a feed to adsbscope (if I can get it working again)

I don't think I need --enable-agc
        Got ADSBscope working - this is what I'm getting with the Pi + Dongle

Image1.pngImage3.png

Antenna is as in sig at approx 8m (to clear neighbouring house roofs), approx 8m of RG6 (no amplifier now), small format R820T dongle, Raspberry Pi running the binary image shared in post 8 of this thread

I get a fall off in signal to the SE due to the land gradually rising 1Km away by about 25m - not much, but enough to provide a signal shadow.

We always do get lots of transatlantic aircraft coming over the UK in the mornings to UK airports, European airports (Frankfurt, Amsterdam, etc) and many of the flights from USA to Dubai etc.
        Last edited by peterhr; 2014-03-02, 08:28.

Comment

• Hi Peter,

What antenna are you using now? The Franklin or a coco?

Best
          Jayant

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
          T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
            What antenna are you using now? The Franklin or a coco?
            It's a commercial one bought off ebay ( http://goo.gl/uATjTO ), the vendor - I believe - is the person who makes and sells the MicroADSB reciever.

I'm not sure if it gives a better range than the 11 element coco - it's 1/3rd of the size and doesn't flex as much in the wind. The limiting factor when planes FL380 go over the horizon, that's about 400Km

Comment

• Hmm yes I'm struggling a bit to get some range out of a coco largely because of the unknown velocity factor. That she I was asking. Anyway, time to try a slightly optimised segment length!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
              T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• I've added the "export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20" line back into the script, even though the new 241 feeder is supposed not to need it. I was restarting the feeder every 4 hours and noticed gaps on the premium stats page (shown below) indicating big feeding gaps - putting the FR24AUTHIP back in seems to have eliminated those big gaps

Snap9.gif

Comment

• Am I missing something here? Where can I find that chart?

Comment

• Originally posted by loplo View Post
                    Am I missing something here? Where can I find that chart?
                    what chart - the one that shows range?

adsbscope

adsbscope from here - http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/p...html#downloads

you need Bugfix Version 2.6_f3

needed a parameter on dump1090 to add --net-ro-port 31001

then on ADSBscope on windows, in network config tell it the IP address of the PI on your home network, that you are feeding from rtl1090 and set the dataformat to normal (binary didnt work)

do be sure to set your receiver location before you connect ADSBscope to DUMP1090 - it takes hours to build up the chart since the only way to establish range it to receive aircraft from that distance ... so you have to wait for enough aircraft to fly everywhere.

Comment

• Nope, the one on the image you've attached.

Comment

• If you are a T- feeder using feeder software-241
                        on the fr24.com map page click premium
                        (logon if required)
                        select "your account"
                        In the "Your Feeds" section, find the line for your feeder ... select 'more info' - that should bring up the stats page.
                        Snap10.jpg

Comment

• Should have put my reply here - here it is

peterh - I must say thank you for the guide and support to the members here. Really good work and dedication

With your help, I have my Pi running smoothly and feeding to FR24. A few hiccups along the way (mainly due to syntax issues - and the odd PEBKAC error )

I get the feeling I had better results with the dongle when I had "--enable-agc" left out - letting the dongle use its own settings - maybe some other users can comment on their experiences?

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                            If you are a T- feeder using feeder software-241
                            on the fr24.com map page click premium
                            (logon if required)
                            select "your account"
                            In the "Your Feeds" section, find the line for your feeder ... select 'more info' - that should bring up the stats page.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3442[/ATTACH]
                            I'm upgrading right now to 241. I always wondered how come there's no statistics at fr24.

LE
                            It's working, I'm waiting for the statistics to get populated.
                            Last edited by loplo; 2014-03-03, 19:46.

Comment

• I've removed the DUMP1090 --enable-agc parameter - it appears to have made no difference, daily range is still about 225nm - we'll have to see if it still peaks some days to 240nm

Comment

• [This message is intended as a suggestion for Trigger, related to his message #479].

Hi Trigger,

You may try inserting the three following options in the script line invoking dump1090:

dump1090 --enable-agc --gain 34 --aggressive ... ... --net ... ...etc.

The first relates to the automatic gain control of the RTL2832U chip, the second controls the R820T tuner gain (you can try with different values), the third enables more error correcting features (at the cost of some extra CPU power). The rest of the line should be the same as before. Running dump1090 with the --help option will give you some extra information.

Hope it helps,
                                Last edited by Andres; 2014-03-06, 20:26.
                                T-SABE8 - Raspberry Pi + RTL2832U / R820T USB + dump1090

Comment

Working...
                                X