• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by glen4cindy View Post
    Thanks!

I am now up and running!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3153[/ATTACH]

Now, I am going to try to build this antenna:

So I will be able to see more planes. I have an only the antenna that came with the Dongle, attached to an extension cable, outside on my roof, but, it still isn't seeing much.
    At the end of the write up ( see post #8 in this thread) there is a picture of a very simple dipole made of co-ax attached to a bamboo cane - make that and it will bring in flights within 150-200km

Comment

• Originally posted by milair View Post
      You will be amazed at the difference, I'm running a 12 element version and can receive A/C to 160 nautical miles, and my antenna is only on a pole attached to the side of my shed at present. I have other houses on three sides as well. A small tip - always check each section as you make it as if one section does short out it will always be in the middle ! I have used CT100 coax with a copper sheath and soldered my joints, but this is getting very hard to find now.
      The cable that comes with the dongles is very high attenuation as well.
      John
      I'm currently building my collinear antenna out of RG-6U coax.

The cable I have right now going from the small whip antenna that I have perched on my roof going down into my basement where I have my Pi connected to the network is actually an extension cable that came with my Sprint Airave that was to be used (if necessary) to place the GPS antenna in a window. It has the proper connectors on each end, and seems to be the same type of cable shown that FR24 sends with their package, but, it could be that it is entirely the wrong cable.

gps 2.PNGgps 1.PNG

These are clips from the manual. I'd have to look at the side of the cable to see if there are any markings on it.

It does seem to be doing Ok most of the time. Here is what I'm seeing as I type this post:

Planes 4PM.PNG

Comment

• Originally posted by milair View Post
        You will be amazed at the difference, I'm running a 12 element version and can receive A/C to 160 nautical miles, and my antenna is only on a pole attached to the side of my shed at present. I have other houses on three sides as well. A small tip - always check each section as you make it as if one section does short out it will always be in the middle ! I have used CT100 coax with a copper sheath and soldered my joints, but this is getting very hard to find now.
        The cable that comes with the dongles is very high attenuation as well.
        John
        Hello John,

One thing I am stuck on as far as the collinear antenna is what to do with the very top element. Do I leave the short bare center conductor from the coax sticking out inside my PVC pipe, lop it off, or use the resistor?

I've read bad things about using a resistor, but, I really didn't see in the video how he dealt with the very top element, and the plans he mentioned show a resistor.

What did you do?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello John,

One thing I am stuck on as far as the collinear antenna is what to do with the very top element. Do I leave the short bare center conductor from the coax sticking out inside my PVC pipe, lop it off, or use the resistor?

I've read bad things about using a resistor, but, I really didn't see in the video how he dealt with the very top element, and the plans he mentioned show a resistor.

What did you do?

Thanks.
          Look at the Best Antenna thread ... http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...1-best-antenna

Member abcd567 is in the unique position of living on the 8th floor of a high rise, so can build antenna, position them at a good hight to test them without having to worry about weather and going on the roof.

if you read from about page 50 in the thread, he suggests making up a half length collinear section (1/4 wave) and shorting the inner to the outer at the top for best performance. Of course if you do this it does have implications if you should decide to add an amplifier later - since these are actually intended for use with satellite dish LNBs and do pass power up the line to the dish ... that power would need blocking if you have a shorted collinear at the top of the mast.

Also the minerals in the PVC pipe (used for colouring) can adsorb signal - test if your pip is OK by putting a short section in a microwave along with a cup of water - then zap it for a minute. If the pipe gets hot - it absorbs signal. (the cup of water is a load for the microwave so if the pipe doesn't warm, the microwave does have something to heat, so preventing damage)
          Last edited by peterhr; 2014-01-07, 07:16.

Comment

• 07-Jan-2014

New image now uploading [runs on 1gb sd card or bigger] and new instruction doc uploading here

Comment

Hello John,

What did you do?

Thanks.
              I terminated mine with a 75ohm resistor, it also allows you to check that there are no shorts or open circuits as well. As I said my cable has copper braid, aluminum is a bit difficult to solder to so you may have to wrap the leg of the resistor around it if you go this way.

Why not run the RG6 all the way to the SDR, you can perhaps use a Cable TV plug then and find an adapter on Ebay to convert to MCX for the SDR. See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-MCX-adap...item43abfd8791

You might find this of help as well: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/T...Jan2013QST.pdf

John

Here's a screen grab I just made, range rings are 50 nautical miles spacing:
              APC - 2014.01.07 20.41 - 001.3d.jpg
              Last edited by milair; 2014-01-07, 20:44.
              T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• 1st post from a long time lurker!
                I finally got my hands on a Pi and DVB stick for Christmas and have it up and running successfully.
                To say i had some doubts is an understatement! but after 3hrs setting up the Pi from scratch with no Linux experience I'm happy with the results.
                I would like to thanks peter for the setup guide, and all the others for the input in to the thread with the issues they have encountered that help me over come some difficulty's.
                Now time to make my first antenna!
                Last edited by EGGD11; 2014-01-08, 01:19.
                T-EGGD11 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi2 + Dump1090, FR24, PF. Cantena 248Mi 0ft ASL
                T-EGGD21 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090, FR24, PF. Home made COCO 257Mi 600ft ASL

Comment

• test.jpg

I'm downloading now the new version for testing.
                  Previous version works fine.

Thank you Peter. Good tutorial.
                  Last edited by Queco; 2014-01-08, 22:40. Reason: Add picture

Comment

• Just check, the dump1090 line in the fr24.sh file may have an unwanted space after the ”--” on one of the parameters.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I took my (second) Pi into work, and set it up

8th floor, Birmingham city centre, magmount antenna that comes with the tuner stuck to a CD drive inside the sealed window ... though I might see the local airport ... planes are going out of range as the approach Amsterdam - that's on the 400Km limit where the drop below the horizon.

Amazing

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                        I took my (second) Pi into work, and set it up

8th floor, Birmingham city centre, magmount antenna that comes with the tuner stuck to a CD drive inside the sealed window ... though I might see the local airport ... planes are going out of range as the approach Amsterdam - that's on the 400Km limit where the drop below the horizon.

Amazing
                        That's incredible! I'm barely hitting 200 kms with my Co-Co, but of course I still haven't got it to a decent height, and I live in a concrete jungle with tall apartments all around me. I really want to compare the magmount with a tuned antenna from my condo's rooftop. I don't think we get anywhere near the potential of a tuned antenna with our home-brew stuff and no test gear to tune it with.
                        T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
                          That's incredible! I'm barely hitting 200 kms with my Co-Co, but of course I still haven't got it to a decent height, and I live in a concrete jungle with tall apartments all around me. I really want to compare the magmount with a tuned antenna from my condo's rooftop. I don't think we get anywhere near the potential of a tuned antenna with our home-brew stuff and no test gear to tune it with.
                          It's a 1970s building with single glazed windows (brrrr), the glass does have a film over it to hold it together in the event of a bomb blast (city centre building was here when we had IRA troubles and possibility al qaeda troubles)

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                            Excellent - Did you remember to order an MCX adaptor see http://www.maplin.co.uk/pocket-tv-mc...adaptor-625579 for pictures - the antenna socket on the tuner is tiny, and it's frustrating to have to wait for one to arrive to be able to connect the better aerial you've just made.
                            I made this error. I've been using the antenna that came with the dongle, and am less than pleased with the performance. I've built a collinear and am need of a female F to mcx. I've got a couple on the way, but, they have been delayed! It was supposed to be here today. Is it possible to find one of these at a brick and mortar store? I'd like to go and get one, even ahead of the one that is getting here next week in the mail.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I made this error. I've been using the antenna that came with the dongle, and am less than pleased with the performance. I've built a collinear and am need of a female F to mcx. I've got a couple on the way, but, they have been delayed! It was supposed to be here today. Is it possible to find one of these at a brick and mortar store? I'd like to go and get one, even ahead of the one that is getting here next week in the mail.

Thanks in advance.
                              Don't know where you are, maplin is hobby electronics store in the UK, MCX is sometimes used for wifi work.

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                                Try: Radioshack
                                2268 BROADWAY
                                NEW YORK, NY 10024
                                Tel: 917-441-3931

Last edited by speedbird1960; 2014-01-11, 15:59.
                                AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Working...
                                X